• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting 200 mhz FSB with an A7N8X rev2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don t know well it...but barton cores may have a better approach to the multiplier trick...
I mean...the 5-th bit should be recognized in a better way using barton cpu's based core.
However I repeat that this is only a supposition...

Well played with my setting and no such issue on the multi it appears everone is free and at any FSB to 210 then i have to increase my VDD to stay stable but i run without it in normal cases sense my maximum speed depends on the temp of the day and i like to stay below 100f when idle.
I have active cooling on both my south and north bridge and on a heat sink on my mosfets aswell but i don't think they actually help untill your at over 215fsb and then they start to heat up extremely fast so thats why i choose to cool them as i can run run high FSB when i want but it really doesn't help that much in my speed (1%) and timing on the memory seems to do the most help 2-2-2-4 at 210fsb (Corsair pc3500 of course) . Im also in the process of doing the VDD mod the correct way as mentioned in the http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13 forum and wanna see if the results are better on the FSB but i highly doubt it . I found from stick to stick of memory i could get 256megs pc3500 to run at 225 and beyond but not any more than that and 512megs could not stay stable at that speed and one single stick 512megs is faster than 2X256.... gees Michal[mt] whats your latest progress ? Are you thinking of trying the DX board ?

Hi hangten...
Firstly I want to thank you...
Well...I have tried and tried but the issue is always the same: going higher the stock multiplier and above 200 mhz my system does not want to cold-boot.
I have tried previous bios versions and the result was that no one of em allowed me to make a 2nd boot with higher params.
It seems that only 1005 bios version allow me to boot with higher multiplier values and frequencies but oblivious only after made the system start in safe-mode.
Personally I don t want to change my board...I hope only that a new bios release will fix it.

I found something usefull from nForcersHQ just using your link hangten...
Here they are some bugs that still exist:
***Bugs that co-exist on the new Rev 2.xx boards, will be highlighted in RED***

1.Memory speed reported wrong in POST (-1 MHz) *FIXED with 1004 BIOS* Reported by Karas*
2.Cold boot issue (BIOS not using its setting for CPU voltage on initial system startup when using some older/slower T-Breds (1700+ & some 1800+CPU's))
3. BIOS curruption on save *Mryaz reports this problem is very much alive, even on his new v2 with 1005FINAL BIOS!!!*
4.Weak AGP drive output at higher FSB's (GFX glitches/lock-ups/drop to desktop and system re-boots in 3D apps & games)
5.Insufficient chipset voltage *PCB modification method only at this time. *Can help with items 7, and 4*
6.Diagnostic voice reporting errors that do not exist *Does this still happen?*
7.Support for 200/400MHz Barton CPU *PART FIXED* This seems to help some, but not all with 200MHz FSB support*
8.Board insatbility when using ASYNC memory settings + & -
9.CMOS battery issues *FIXED* Just Replace CMOS Battery, Can help with Fault #3, but not in all cases.
10.Some gaps in the selectable FSB settings *Part-FIXED with 1004 BIOS. 201MHz is not available, others are not verified at this time*
11.IRQ setting for onboard MIDI being ignored *FIXED in BIOS 1004 (Reported by HellHorse)*
12.BIOS IRQ table not trying to avoid conficts at all (Only an issue if you have a device which will not work with IRQ sharing)
13.BIOS not properly reading SPD's on latest official Intel/JEDEC DDR 400 memory modules (Confirmed by OCZ, Crucial and Corsair)
14.CPU temperature reported incorrectly * koSmiQ reports that the BIOS cannot report below -0c*
15.Case/Chassis temperature reported incorrectly (Quite often higher than the CPU temperature! Or are often much lower than the real temps)
16.Q-FAN only works properly on high RPM fans +5,000RPM (Fan slows, but does not speed back up on sub 4,000RPM fans)
17.Motherboard resource issue with USB keyboard *FIXED with 1003 BIOS*
18.Crackling sound via Soundstorm/APU *Submitted by Spank* *nVidia have stated that new audio drivers will fix this issue, however new nForce drivers are some time away*
19.Data curruption when using built-in Sillicon Image SATA Controller *This is claimed to be fixed with BIOS 1005 for v2.xx motherboards. AWAITING CONFIRMATION*
20.Keyboard wake up from S3 state inoperative (but does from poweroff) *Submitted by Philwett* *Reported as FIXED in 1003 BIOS*
21.Wake up from S3 state NOT working when dual channel is used *Submitted by Philwett*
22.Standby (S3/STR) problems *Submitted by Jhong* *Thread Link http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14905&highlight=standby
23.Spread Spectrum will not always disable when user selects 100/133/166/200MHz FSB's. Can cause instability in some systems if enabled.

The 2nd one is very interesting ;)

back from the dead...

Michal[mt]: were you ever able to resolve this? i am going through this nightmare atm...

There are just passed months and I still do not have found anything usefull to solve the default voltage cpu init on cold boot...do someone have tried any wire trick to bypass this kind of protection? Please do not tell me to use the vcore volt mod...I don t want to make my system unstable...I just experienced some vcore mods on my previous motherboards and I do not want to repeat my mistakes.
Very thanks.

I dont know if anyone has found this out yet, and i may sound like a a n00b for pointing this out. When you go into advanced chipset features in the bios on this board you can choose the multiplier BUT, what im sure most of us do is scroll down to the bottom and look for the best multiplier. I have this board and ive found recently that the higher multipliers are found by scrolling UP. I thought 12.5 was the highest but when i scrolled up i found it went to 14x.

Back