• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a new mobo and case, would like some advice...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SantiMun

My parents bought me a Dell Dimension 2400 last year for my graduation. While it was a nice gift, the computer sucks. No AGP and only 3 PCI slots. I've finally decided to purchase a new mobo and case. My budget is around $150 to $200. I'm going to keep whats important in the DELL and bring it over to my new mobo and case (2.1 P4, 512mb 2700DDR, etc). I want a sturdy ATX case that wont bend or dent easily. I also would like it to come with at least a 400W power supply. AND I would like it to have a clear side panel and come with around two fans. I was looking at a case from Artec for around $50 dollars. Is Artec anygood?
I'm looking for a P4 motherboard that is 800mhz and has at least 4 PCI slots, an AGP slot, and four memory slots that will accept my corsair 2700 DDR extreme memory. I would also like it to come with onboard video and audio and have at least 6 USB ports. I saw an intel board thats 800mhz 865PE with all that for $110 at Tiger direct. If anyone has any opinions or advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Yes, I would say 865 chipset would be a good choice and an Intel m/b should be good, as long as you're not planning on OC'ing or tweaking (not much chance of activating PAT on an Intel 865 chipset m/b). Intel's integrated video will be less than impressive with anything other than basic 2D, so you'll probably want an AGP card for anything else.

Yeah, I'm not doing any overclocking. I just want onboard video for now until I save up and get my 9800 pro. whats the difference between 864p and 875 and whats all the letters at the end mean?

The 875 is the 'high performance' Intel chipset for the P4, the 865 is more affordable. For example 875 has some features (e.g. PAT) that the 865 doesn't officially support (some 865 chipset m/b's allow tweaks that can activate PAT, but Intel doesn't like that and it won't be possible on an Intel m/b). The letters generally indicate different features, such as integrated video, RAID etc.

I bought an Intel D875PBZLK - Socket 478 ATX Motherboard for $140 and an Artec - 868WBL - Blue Mid-Tower ATX PC Case with Clear Side for $60. Both of these I bought from TigerDirect.com. I also purchased a POWER POWMAX LP6100DA 400W BLUE power supply for $35 from newegg.com. For now I'm going to keep my 2.1 P4 cpu from my old Dell. Next, I'm going to save up and buy an ATI Saphire 9800PRO. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
2.1 P4? Not sure exactly which processor that is, but eventually you'll want to upgrade to an 800MHz FSB model (2.4GHz and up).

what i meant is that i'm going to keep using my Pentium 4, 2.1Ghz CPU. But now you got me worried. My mobo is 800mhz, are you telling me my CPU will not work on this board????

itll work

all that means i the mobo CAN support 800mhz fsb cpus.

theyre backwards comaptible, theyll support the 400mhz cpu and the 533mhz cpus too...

dont worry

Ok good. Well since you guys like the mobo, what do you guys think of the case? I was choosing between this one and a Chieftec for the same price. Also, where can I find a funnel that I can attach to my case. My old Dell has a green funnel that attaches from the fan to the CPU and I want something like that on my new board. I'm not sure if I can use the Dell one until my stuff arrives.

Back