• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting DRAM up to rated frequency

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Argey

I've just upgraded my PC and want to get better performance from it. I've never tried overclocking before.

I want to start with memory, because MemTweakIt is reporting DRAM frequency as 2133, and it's rated at 3600MHz

First I'd like to get it running according to spec, then try to overclock it.

I'm working on understanding https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/
but can I get the DRAM to work at 3600MHz easily before I start trying to overclock? If not, ok, I'll treat it as overclocking and work through the sticky threads on memory here and the above link.

I've read that I should work in BIOS, not a Windows-based app. but I don't know where to start.

Thanks.

To set your ram to the rated overclock of 3600mhz you'll want to go into bios and look for your ram settings.
  • Press F7 to go into advanced mode. Also, depending on your BIOS version, some options may be slightly different.
  • Enter the Extreme Tweeker tab to get to your Ram options.
  • Under AI Overclock Tuner select the drop down and select D.O.C.P. Standard. (This will set the ram to the X.M.P. profile automatically for you.)
  • Note the timings for the X.M.P. profile. While overclocking further you may need to come back to these settings.
  • Verify the Dram voltage. (If you're unsure what it should be, it is printed on the Ram Module. Generally between 1.25v and 1.50v depending on your particular sticks)
  • Press F10 to save you settings and exit BIOS.
  • Cross your fingers and hope it boots.

If for whatever reason your system fails to boot, you will need to clear your CMOS. Your motherboards manual will cover how to do that so I won't go into detail there.

Good Luck and welcome to Overclockers!

EDIT: P.S. If you're still stick here's a nice little video covering your BIOS.

Fast response - thank you.

This is just what I was hoping for.

My box has a clear CMOS button on the back which I've had to use several times while playing around with AI Suite 3.

and thanks for the welcome

Setting XMP/DOCP is like Blaylock already said. It's more than clear I think :)
I only wanted to add that when you set your memory at 3600 then there is no point in further tweaking as you will get 0-1% performance gain at the cost of long stability tests and frustration related to memory timing adjustment.

It worked exactly as Blaylock described and booted. No instability so far.

Thanks Woomack for added advice. Will leave it as is.

Now, on to reading up on CPU overclocking......

I've now got the memory up to 3600MHz, and 5% overclocking on the CPU.
MemTest run to around 600% on all CPU cores gave no errors.

So I'm making progress, but before I try for better figures, I have a question.

I can Power Off and Power On with no problem, but if I try to do a Restart, it closes Windows, but doesn't restart. It just hangs, with screens in power saving mode, the power light on and no indication of disk activity.

Can anyone give me a steer on what to look for, or what is happening, please?

Thanks.

Try running in safe mode then try a restart to see if Windows is hanging our your hardware is.

Did it hang like this before you started overclocking? I think you will find that there is very little performance return for a lot of effort in overclocking that CPU. It is already pushed pretty much to the limit from the factory. It ain't like the ole' days of overclocking. You might find you can get a little bit more with sub tubo frequency in apps and benches that can take advantage of many threads but in games you might find a small performance loss since most games will not be able to use all those threads and will suffer from a lower non turbo IPC. I'll share this link with you that someone on the forum recently shared with me:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

And I agree with Blaylock. Trying to overclock the memory is pretty much a waste of time unless you are into competitive benching.

> Did it hang like this before you started overclocking?
No, no problem before.
> CPU. It is already pushed pretty much to the limit from the factory.
Useful to know, thanks. I used AI Suite 3 and got 13% improvement, but then had problems with Tweetdeck (oddly), so reverted and tried in BIOS.
I'm not a gamer. Have a lot of apps running at once, and also do some development, so appreciate resource offered by lots of threads.
I wanted to at least get the memory up to its rated frequency. Might go on trying to overclock out of interest, but at least now I know DRAM can deliver its promised frequency. If I have to turn off and on again instead of restart, I will, but would like to find a solution.

Will look at that link, thanks again.

When I read the article in that link I gave you, I came away with the definite impression that is not likely that you will be able to improve overall performance on the Ryzen 3 "X" CPUs by overclocking. No matter what you try to do, the technology AMD has built into these chips keeps you within the power draw limits they have established. If you ramp up one thing, other things cut frequency and voltage back to compensate. I also understood it to say that the biggest single factor in improving overall performance was improving cooling. That will allow the cores to run closer to turbo speed more of the time and increase the "average" core frequency over time under stress.

When I read the article in that link I gave you, I came away with the definite impression that is not likely that you will be able to improve overall performance on the Ryzen 3 "X" CPUs by overclocking. No matter what you try to do, the technology AMD has built into these chips keeps you within the power draw limits they have established. If you ramp up one thing, other things cut frequency and voltage back to compensate. I also understood it to say that the biggest single factor in improving overall performance was improving cooling. That will allow the cores to run closer to turbo speed more of the time and increase the "average" core frequency over time under stress.
I most agree except you can get more out of the CPU by making sure all cores boost higher and stay there. Following this guide I was able to get my 3700x to run all cores all the time @4.4. BUT, the extra heat/power ended up not being worth it to me so I settled at 4.2 all cores I'm happy with that. R20 scores are about 5100.

Back