• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 7nnxp problems (weird)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrdwiz

Sorry this is long... But help will be appreciated.

Hi there. I have a AMD 2800+ Barton and today I was just fooling around trying to see if I could oc it. I had my fsb set at 166 in the bios and every time I tried setting it higher (167 or anything higher) the computer would no longer boot. It would turn on but would not do anything. I then reset the cmos by removing the batt and all was good again. Until I went online and was reading about this motherboard. Someone said to remove the dps card, which I did. I then booted the computer and went right into windows (using fsb 166). Motherboard monitor alerted me that my cpu temp was 60C and rising and I noticed my computer was quieter than usual. My cpu fan is spinning VERY slow now. It's a coolermaster, not sure which one. The fan has a manual speed control using a little knob, which now makes no difference in the speed. This makes no sense to me because this fan is not even powered through the motherboard, it dose have a sensor connected to the motherboard but the power is right from the ps. So I tried also reattaching the dps card and it makes no difference. Now that it's almost 1am I gave up on trouble shooting it and booted up my laptop to seek help. I don't even care about overclocking at this point it seems to be impossible with this board for me. All I care about now is why my fan is running dangerously slow. Thanks for the help!

My board has has option in the bios called 'smart fan' or something like that. After resetting cmos I have to turn it off or it will slow down my fan. Look around in your bios.

Sounds to me like there isn't really any problem with the board, but more with the CPU cooler or PSU... Since you have your cooler on manual, I would remove the sensor since there is no real need for that, and that could be what is making it not allowing you to change the speeds at all. Also if that doesn't work try another connector for the cooler or try connecting it to the motherboard to see if it's just not getting enough power to run faster, and make sure the cooler is connected properly with enough but not too much thermal paste.

ive got the same board, turn smart fan off - otherwise it might lock up

but for the real part:
play around with your fan and reseat your heatsink. I find the best way to apply paste is by taking a razor blade and smoothening a thin layer of AS5 or some silver based thermal compound on the core.

I had no problems with getting my 2500+ to 3200+, all i did was change the FSB. (Remember, to change a lot of stuff in the gigabyte bios, you need to hit Ctrl-F1) It must just be that fan - if youve got another sitting around, try it and monitor your temps.

Back