• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gigabyte 970a ud3 fx6100 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thirnick

Registered
hello just bought this bundle at MC i have two questions

conn #1 atx 12v has 8 pins i have 6 is that enough?

bios is rev 1.1 cant find update must be the latest one?

You're not confusing the 6 pin video card power lead with the P4 12v auxiliary power connector are you? Usually the latter will be either an 8 pin or a 4 pin connector and in most cases the 4 pin will be enough but highly overclocked 4-8 core CPUs may need the extra power the 8 pin connector supposedly will provide. Also, you can buy a 4 pin to 8 pin P4 adapter cable if you need all 8 pins to provide adequate power. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-4-Pin-M...802?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a70c85aca

I'm more worried about the adequacy of you PSU for this task if it does not have the 8 pin P4 connector. The newer, higher quality PSUs will have them. What is the make and model of your PSU and how many watts is it rated for? What does the label on the PSU say about the number of amps the 12+ rail or rails have?

And what make and model video card are you running? High end video cares can suck more juice than high end CPUs.

Last edited:
You need an 8 pin 12v connector, 6 is no good I believe. You may need to upgrade your PSU to support the board. (defer to trents advice, he knows better... I wrote this reply before seeing his post)

You may be looking at the wrong number for bios. It should end in F(something). F5b is the latest for your board, but it is a beta bios. F4 is the latest stable bios. You can get the bios for your board from here:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3907#bios

guess i need a power supply thank you

i plugged in the 4 pin connedtor

but while OC after 4.2 ghz no performance gain

Last edited:
guess i need a power supply thank you

i plugged in the 4 pin connedtor

but while OC after 4.2 ghz no performance gain

That's not the fault of the PSU. That sounds like thermal down-throttling, a heat issue. Are you using the stock cooler that came with the CPU? Have you done any temperature monitoring with CoreTemp or HWMonitor?

And you never answered my question about the make, model and wattage rating of you PSU.

thank you for your replies
i bought a 600w supply more stable now

h212 evo cooler

Back