• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3? Keep or return?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayan

Registered
Hi guys this is my first post here, and was referred to a friend, so be nice :)

So, I have a couple of questions regarding the motherboard in the title above:
1 - I've heard some really bad things about the Gigabyte 990 boards (UD5/UD7 mostly), and was wondering if the UD3 suffers from those issues? Vdroop and really wonky BIOSes to be exact?
2 - I have ordered it and received it late last week, but haven't had time to install it yet (that's the plan for tomorrow actually), but am now second guessing my purchase decision. Should I keep it, see how it is? Or return it and get a different board?

I've always liked Giga-boards, and have never had any issues with them. If someone recommends to return this board for something else, please don't suggest an ASUS board. I had some really bad troubles with tech support from them about a year ago (I was hung up on by 2 reps :)....), and have boycotted their products (unless someone gives a REALLY compelling argument as to why I should use their stuff again....)

Anyway, what should I do? I have a 1090 right now, and plan on ordering a BDzer once they launch (hopefully later this month).

Well when you are into doubts about the second largest motherboard maker and do not want anything by the largest producer of motherboards, you have just about cut yourself off from a motherboard. With MSI not close to the top of my list that leaves just Asrock. Probably not a bad choice. But I would download the manual for the motherboard that I was thinking seriously about and look for LLC power control in the bios. If not there then you are likely to have the same problems with your next board as you will have with Vdroop and the Gigabyte motherboard.

Vdrop for these boards is BD design and except that all is running fine. What these boards are missing is LLC option that probably will be added later. Other boards have almost the same vdrop except that some have options to control it in bios.
All UD3/UD5/UD7 are running the same so you can return your board or wait till we see how BD is acting.
So far I'm happy with my UD5 and I can't complain much for vdrop. I don't care if voltage is 0.03V higher or lower if all is stable.

My UD5P board CPU voltage does not fluctuate at all. from 0% load to 100% on all cores the voltage remains the exact same under CPUz. Ive even re-opened that program to check it was not updating or something but the figures are the same. I'm very pleased with gigabyte.

I think the board is great, although i had to return the motherboard because 2 memory sockets were bad, thats just me getting a board from bad luck. This board ran well on the other slots, used a 6970, 1090t, and 8 gb 1333 ram, ran flawlessly! :D Never been more happy, i've always been gigabyte for mobos. Especially at the baord price from newegg (149) and dual x16 for crossfire is just amazing!@!!

My UD5P board CPU voltage does not fluctuate at all. from 0% load to 100% on all cores the voltage remains the exact same under CPUz. Ive even re-opened that program to check it was not updating or something but the figures are the same. I'm very pleased with gigabyte.

I'm not so sure CPU-z is a good program for monitoring voltage fluctuation. Seems to me OCCT tracks it better.

Back