• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte, Asus CUII or CUII TOP Gtx 670?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OWNERS OF THE ASUS CUII: how thick is the backplate??? I just read in the seven card review in tomshadware that there may a problem in some motherboards, in fact i now see that in my Asus matx motherboard, there are only 4mm space between the ram levers and the opening of the pci slot! Will i have a problem?

Can't be more specific this second but will definitely let you know when I'm able to physically get to the machine. Probably lunch time today. There isn't a ton of room for sure, but it fits. I'll measure it ASAP.

There appears to be between one and two millimeters between the backplate and the lower RAM tab. Not a problem on ASUS boards b/c the bottom tab doesn't move anyway. If you switch RAM on a different board with slots that close, you may need to remove the video card to swap the sticks out.

There appears to be between one and two millimeters between the backplate and the lower RAM tab. Not a problem on ASUS boards b/c the bottom tab doesn't move anyway. If you switch RAM on a different board with slots that close, you may need to remove the video card to swap the sticks out.

You re describing the space between your gpu in your asus motherboard and the lower ram module?

I dont think that helps me, because i dont think all asus motherboards are the same. How about the thing i asked you, the exact distance in milimeters between where the gpu protrusion that gets into the pci slot ends, and the end of the backplate?

I had forgotten about the width of the cards, focused on the length. The gigabyte went inside with the motherboard (sliding motherboard in the LL351) by scratching the upper part of the case's opening, if i had gotten the asus card i think the pipes that are protruding would not have fitted inside... stupid of me, in the enthusiasm to get the card i forgot about the very limited height inside the case...

Hello guys.

I have a couple questions about the gtx 670, did not want to open a whole new thread about it.

3 days ago I got my self the Gigabyte GTX 670 OC too. which I am impressed with it although mine does not boost that high as people are saying for their cards.
I am using MSI afterburner to check and overclock. Gigabyte states stock clock Is 980MHz and 1058MHz Boost and In real it does 1124MHz constant when running 3dmark11 on Extreme but MSI Afterburner shows max it has hit 1144MHz at some point.
Is this OK?
does everyone's card behave the same way? am I OK or?
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80, Arctic MX-4 Paste/Corsair SP120 HP Fans
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 670 OC WindForce
Ram: Kingstone HyperX Genesis 4x4GB 16GB 1333MHz
Power Supply: 800W
Monitor: LG 1080p LED 22in
Speakers : Philips amBX Kit
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

Last edited:
Hello guys.

I have a couple questions about the gtx 670, did not want to open a whole new thread about it.

3 days ago I got my self the Gigabyte GTX 670 OC too. which I am impressed with it although mine does not boost that high as people are saying for their cards.
I am using MSI afterburner to check and overclock. Gigabyte states stock clock Is 980MHz and 1058MHz Boost and In real it does 1124MHz constant when running 3dmark11 on Extreme but MSI Afterburner shows max it has hit 1144MHz at some point.
Is this OK?
does everyone's card behave the same way? am I OK or?
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

ermmm is that at stock? or is that overclocked? if it came out the box with 1144mhz boost i would say you are pretty lucky ;)

ermmm is that at stock? or is that overclocked? if it came out the box with 1144mhz boost i would say you are pretty lucky ;)

Gigabyte says stock clock Is 980MHz and Boosts up to 1058MHz but In real it does 1124MHz constant but i guess it peaks for a sec at 1144MHz so It does not run at that clock speed constantly.

BF3 does constant 1124MHz too but i did see it hit 1157MHz but of course for a sec only.

apparently some people do get better boost clock out there, with the same model as I have.
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

What the hell, it doesn't work as PCI 3.0 out of the box!

So much advertising BOTH from the Asus Rampage IV Gene box as well as from the Gigabyte gpu about PCI 3.0 and it doesn't work! GPU-Z says PCI 2.0. Asus support pretends the issue doesn't even exist! I asked them about it, and they says something like "yes, this shows the pci slot that the gpu is in" as if i am a ****** or something! And all i find in the net is some crap windows registry complicated stuff to "enable" PCI 3.0!!!

What the hell, it doesn't work as PCI 3.0 out of the box!

So much advertising BOTH from the Asus Rampage IV Gene box as well as from the Gigabyte gpu about PCI 3.0 and it doesn't work! GPU-Z says PCI 2.0. Asus support pretends the issue doesn't even exist! I asked them about it, and they says something like "yes, this shows the pci slot that the gpu is in" as if i am a ****** or something! And all i find in the net is some crap windows registry complicated stuff to "enable" PCI 3.0!!!

what processor and mobo do you have? Also dont worry it makes literally NO difference to performance. not even more than 1% :thup:

Easy there killer, as xander89 said, it really won't make a bit of difference in performance. Even so, the platform you purchased has motherboard specifications that are capable of PCIe 3.0, but the Sandy Bridge-E CPUs, while capable of the 8GT/s data rate, are NOT certified as PCIe 3.0 parts because at the time of their release, there weren't enough GPUs to test for official certification. The only platform on the market currently that is officially PCIe 3.0 is Ivy Bridge.

Easy there killer, as xander89 said, it really won't make a bit of difference in performance. Even so, the platform you purchased has motherboard specifications that are capable of PCIe 3.0, but the Sandy Bridge-E CPUs, while capable of the 8GT/s data rate, are NOT certified as PCIe 3.0 parts because at the time of their release, there weren't enough GPUs to test for official certification. The only platform on the market currently that is officially PCIe 3.0 is Ivy Bridge.

ah yer if he has a sb that will explain it. If you want pcie3 go IB but as ive said not worth it ;). I would say my 670 would probs much up most other 670's on pcie3, get and extra 10-20 mhz bump on the core and bam you are getting more that what pcie3 could give you over pcie2 :thup:

what processor and mobo do you have? Also dont worry it makes literally NO difference to performance. not even more than 1% :thup:

I created a signature but it doesn't come up.

No difference? What i recall from reviews and such is that it makes a 3 times difference or something! Are you kidding? All that buzz and hype and you say it is NOTHING?

I do remember at least in one of the numerous 3820 reviews i carefully read, saying that this cpu IS compatible with PCI 3.0! So what should i conclude, that the incompatibility comes from the gtx 670 or from the 3820?

I created a signature but it doesn't come up.

No difference? What i recall from reviews and such is that it makes a 3 times difference or something! Are you kidding? All that buzz and hype and you say it is NOTHING?

Really really, the difference is negligible at the moment. No graphics card can utilise it properly yet.

This is the kind of difference you will be looking at

HD7970-69.jpg

HD7970-68.jpg

v2.x: 500 MB/s (5 GT/s)
v3.0: 1 GB/s (8 GT/s)

So yes technically it has twice the "performance" ( as the description on the motherboard touts) But if no card can use it, whats the point? ;)

I think we will have to wait for the 7XX & 8XXX cards before we see any real gains. All the cards out at the moment take very little from running on pcie3. So i wouldn't worry.

I do remember at least in one of the numerous 3820 reviews i carefully read, saying that this cpu IS compatible with PCI 3.0! So what should i conclude, that the incompatibility comes from the gtx 670 or from the 3820?

I'm pretty sure there isnt incompatibility issues between the 3820 and the 670. Can you link any of the reviews that said the 3820 was compatible with PCIE3? Becuase i think hookie nailed it on the head. I have seen people claiming to use PCIE3 with a 3820, but i think that might be with a different bios for the mobo. IMO it really is not worth it. You will not notice any performance differences while playing.

Really really, the difference is negligible at the moment. No graphics card can utilise it properly yet.

This is the kind of difference you will be looking at

HD7970-69.jpg

HD7970-68.jpg

v2.x: 500 MB/s (5 GT/s)
v3.0: 1 GB/s (8 GT/s)

So yes technically it has twice the "performance" ( as the description on the motherboard touts) But if no card can use it, whats the point? ;)

I think we will have to wait for the 7XX & 8XXX cards before we see any real gains. All the cards out at the moment take very little from running on pcie3. So i wouldn't worry.

I'm pretty sure there isnt incompatibility issues between the 3820 and the 670. Can you link any of the reviews that said the 3820 was compatible with PCIE3? Becuase i think hookie nailed it on the head. I have seen people claiming to use PCIE3 with a 3820, but i think that might be with a different bios for the mobo. IMO it really is not worth it. You will not notice any performance differences while playing.

I see, thanks for the info. It is very difficult to locate the review i am refering to, since i read many many ones. I remember that it was a very detailed one, multiple pages and a distinctly BLACK background on that website. I am not familiar with the expression "hookie nailed it on the head". However i do recall it said something like, "its not official yet, but it works with 3820".

So the conclusion? I guess it is that YEARS before the witnessing of actual benefits for the end user, the advertising already makes money and focuses on the "miraculous new PCI 3.0", and "this hardware IS PCI 3.0 "ready", GET IT NOW!"......

Back