• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Board Power Up Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I sent off my board below because I thought it was developing coil whine and after nearly 3 weeks overclockers where I bought it from sent me a replacement, now this board is having powering up issues. It sometimes will not power up at all even thought there is power coming from the PSU as I have a memory card reader in one of my floppy drives and that shows power.

Now when it wont power up from the press of the switch I try to switch it off at the back of the PSU and I wait because 3 days ago it worked, when I switch it on the red LED in the PSU flickers on and I am greeted with the WALLPAPER thing from my board. The time/date has reset and so has some other options and I get the message along the line that basically an overclock has failed and the board has reset to stock settings.

Issue being here is only the date/time memory speed (1600mhz at 1.5v) and drive order have been reset some options remain the same. I am not sure what it could be I have copper caps where the board screws go into and I can narrow it down to 3 things.

Either

PSU is failing though it was perfectly fine until I got this replacement board.

Board if faulty

Coin battery needs replacements

Or maybe a 5th take out board bench test it again completely outside of case.

I am not happy that if the board is faulty I have to send it back again it costs £9 to send it back and really I SHOULDNT have to pay again for a faulty board. Would you say doing the above is 1st task

IM sure you have tried different PSU, looks like you got somewhat a handle on it with the battery. Test it outside the case.

Right after a lengthy process of testing I found out a couple of things

1) Powering up issue was caused by my wireless N PCI card it would seem that when screwed down to the case it pops up slightly at the back, I've corrected this by bending the corner piece of metal that would screw to the casing and not bothered to screw it down at all. Seems to power up every time so far on day 2 since rebuilding it.

2) I no longer get the 1 beep at start up which for this board means everything is fine but system boots fine I do get 1 long annoying continuous beep that I actually thought was coil whine but its from my board speaker. It seems to be from the BIOS settings for fan warnings, CPU fan warning is fine but PWR FAN and SYS2 FAN seem to give off the error, I do have fans connected to them and they work fine so I have disabled all but the CPU fan. The long beep also comes when my CPU reaches the warning temp I have set which is 70 degree seems to do it when I video encode so buying an Artic Freezer V7 Pro 2 soon to sort that out.

System boots fine but I am going to buy a new coin battery and CMOS clear everything and set the BIOS from scratch tomorrow.

Back