• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-EP45 Continually powering on and off....HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Usually the easiest way to troubleshoot a faulty component is with spare parts, swapping parts in and out until the problem component has been isolated. Without that, it's just guessing, although those of us with years of experience doing this can usually make an educated guess based on our past experiences.

I think that's why some people get upset when there's a CPU socket change, video card slot change, RAM standard change, etc, because we know we might need spares to troubleshoot new builds. :)

It doesn't happen often, but I have seen situations where a particular motherboard and power supply combination just won't work reliably for whatever reason and changing one or the other results in perfectly normal operation. It's just one of those things. Problems can range from not powering up, powering up but failing to POST, powering off unexpectedly, and of course, the problem you describe, intermittent operation.

Have you tried removing the motherboard from the case, installing the minimum needed to operate the PC (CPU RAM VIDEO KB) to see if the problem goes away? This removes the possibility of a case short, and reduces the load to minimum.

I agree totally on the component swapping....unfortunately all my spare components have been cleared out in recent years with all the new formats. Sorry AGP graphics card, sorry SDRAM, etc. :p

I have definitely tried it with nothing but minimum components required for operation but I haven't removed it from the case. I can't imagine that would be a case short only because as I said, if the CMOS jumper is closed, and the battery is out, it powers on and stays on. It also can't be shut off other than via the PSU, but still, I don't think it could physically stay on if it was shorting on something.

I might as well try it when I get home anyways.

got the same problem with my ud3p but i fix mine by switching off the psu for a little bit and letting it set and then turning it back on and it works fine

It's odd that you guys are having this issue. I just hopped into my BIOS, goofed with settings and restarted to the exact same problem. All I did was clear my BIOS and then put my last known working values in there and here I am. Nice to know that if I left the computer try and start for a bit it might go though...

got the same problem with my ud3p but i fix mine by switching off the psu for a little bit and letting it set and then turning it back on and it works fine

This is my solution on my DS3R. I flip the power switch on the PSU off and count to 10. Flip it back on and it boots fine. I used to think it was an overclock thing, but it does it at bone stock sometimes also.

ALSO!!! I just built a computer for my father-in-law and I took his new power supply and swapped it with mine. His computer doesn't boot loop. My computer doesn't boot loop. Only difference is the 4-pin vs 8-pin connector. I WAS using a 4-pin in an 8-pin motherboard (which might I had was a perfectly okay thing to do). Now I have an 8-pin PSU and so far so good. ::fingers crossed::

I have the same problem with this mobo except I was getting it when my overclocking settings weren't working. I'm not sure why but when mine does it it loops through 3 or 4 times and then boots fine. When I go into the BIOS it says its reverted to stable settings because something I did made it FUBAR. It's strange that yours won't revert at all and will just run infinitely. Any progress?

Ive had this one twice with said board.

I suspect it happens when the settings in bios mainly regarding the ram screw up.

try pulling all your ram and firing up to generate a no ram post error.

if that doesnt work then your gonna love the solution... take the bios battery out #Laughs#

straight forward you say... not with thoes heat pipes in the way :-/ (EP-45 Extreme variety)

then drain the system and short thoes cmos jumpers.

and wait a fair while.. maybe as long as it takes to prep up the heat sink and NB chip again #Chuckles#

its a serious floor thats fun to fix ive found... twice now.

that clear cmos switch on the back is no substitute for pulling the battery :shrug:

its not dead anyhow, just horrably confused.

note. see you`ve tried the battery already :(

different ram worked one time for me.

Last edited:
The way I work around this problem on my UD3LR is turn off the switch on the PSU, let it try to boot again, which discharges the capacitors, and then it boots just fine. I do agree there is something wacky with these boards, but I only notice it when I shut off the power switch on the PSU for a hardware change. That seems to be the only time I have ever noticed it happen, and have gotten into the habit of hitting the power button on the case, and flipping the switch on the PSU off. The big thing is making sure those capacitors discharge before powering back on. Other than that, this board has been more stable than any other board I have ever used.

Back