• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VOLT MOD - PENCIL MOD - HARD MOD FOUND!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks, I found the datasheet too. It looked like the 14th pin iirc was the one I need to trace. I measure resistance between that and ground. Where do I measure ground at?

I will poke around abit and see if I can figure it out. If I can, I will start a post for that board too. Thanks for the help!

i dont know with out doing it myself.

Hi, I´m new to this voltmod thing, so I have some questions for you guys:
- how long do the results of the pencilmod last?
- will it damage the cpu or the mobo in the long run?

it should last a long time.
There can be damage because Vdroop is put into place to protect voltage jumps. (i think this is mainly for older chips) However by leaving some Vdroop in place you should be fine. I think the control chip this is the last protection point thats being fixed.

No one here yet has had any problems. I would not worry bout it.

Thanks, I found the datasheet too. It looked like the 14th pin iirc was the one I need to trace. I measure resistance between that and ground. Where do I measure ground at?

I will poke around abit and see if I can figure it out. If I can, I will start a post for that board too. Thanks for the help!

measure the ground @ any ground wire... but honestly please start another thread as this is a different board intirely, i just dont want this thread getting jumbled with a different boards vmods.

Great Thread

This is a great mod, and a Great thread.. However, some of the questions people ask make me wonder if they should be doing hardware modifications. Measuring resistance of 'transistors' etc. If they don't understand the basics of parts identification, Have the equipment (and skill to use it properly), basic understanding of electronic principles, they probably shouldn't be attempting anything like this. But Kudos to you for walking them through it, and making sure everyone came through the ride with all fingers and toes still
intact.:clap:

I'm trying to do the pencil mod now, and am finding that I am seeing very little change in the resistance as I add graphite. I really expected the see results fairly quickly but it seems I had laid down a decent coating with an 8B sketching pencil and my Ω reading has only changed by about 20. it started off at about 1980 and is only down to about 1960. Is it normal to have to draw on it for a good length of time?

BTW, I am using an auto ranging multimeter. This shouldn't cause any issues with my measurements should it?

This is my first pencil mod so I'm just trying to feel out what is normal. I read through most of this thread, but figured I would ask to be sure.

If you read through this thread, lots of other people kind of found them selves in the same spot as you. Ya you have to put down a pretty good amount. It may seem like a lot. If you find it not to work try a different pencil.

as for the auto range meter im not sure. I think it should work ok.

Yeah, I had kinda seen that it just seems strange to me. That and the fact that I seem to be blowing off some of my work as I am blowing off the excess dust. Does this work better from the back side? I have not noticed this being mentioned but maybe I'm just a moron :D

As I said, I skimmed the thread and didn't read EVERY post so I'm sure I have just missed these things. Sorry if that is the case.

BTW, thank you for your effort on this.

are you talking bout putting it on the back side of the mobo? I sure hope not being that most mobos or should i say all mobos are multi layer. try a different pencil. put down a lot. if it does not work then do the hard mod.

I think to date I am the only one that has done it.

And it worked great for swapping out different CPUs.

mobos are multi layer

Good call, I wasn't even thinking about that when I posted. I was sitting at work at the time and had a bit of a duh moment...sorry. I may do the hard eventually, but I'm not very good at solders that small yet so I would have to find some time for one of my buddy's to do that for me. I'll be laying some more down on it tomorrow, and will just keep that up until I run out of pencil lol But really, I will have more time while I am off this weekend so hopefully I'll get it worked out and get some good bench runs in.

Sweet! Post up pics please if u do the hard mod. Ill post them on the front page being that mine are so bad.
If you have any other questions just holla.

Back