• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L VOLT MOD - PENCIL MOD - HARD MOD FOUND!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hey guys, great work here! another success story here, only got about .016 droop after just my first attempt, penciled down to around 710 ohms:

pre-mod:

idle: 1.328
load: 1.280

post-mod:

idle: 1.328
load: 1.312

(using a GO Q6600 @ 356 X 9)

nice brother!

how did u find the mod and let us know if u gain anything!

I have been following this thread since I built my rig a couple of months ago. I have my DS3L paired with a GO stepping C2Q 6600. I was very pleased with this combo but really noticed the vdroop. After some searching I found this thread.

After many, and I mean many, attemps to do this mod with a mechanical pencil and no results, I gave up. Today I was blowing out the dust with some compressed air and thought I would give it another try. I again started with the mechanical pencil, no go. I asked my eleven year old daughter if she had any pencils from school. She handed me this huge dull pencil, and I thought what the hell, nothing else is working. Within 5 minutes I had my resistance down to about 450 OHMs. Go Figure!:confused:

these are my results.

Q6600 @ 3400 9x378

before
bios 1.39375
idle 1.344
load 1.280

after
bios 1.39375
idle 1.360
load 1.344

Vdrop before .049 after .033
Vdroop before .064 after .016

WoW, what a huge difference this mod has made. I would like to thank Hank and Nd4Spd for doing all the leg work and posting this mod. If only I had used my daughters fat pencil to begin with:bang head:bang head:bang head.

Now I can start some serious benching to get me stable at 3.6 without having to run an insane amount of voltage through this puppy. thanks again guys.

WoW, what a huge difference this mod has made. I would like to thank Hank and Nd4Spd for doing all the leg work and posting this mod. If only I had used my daughters fat pencil to begin with:bang head:bang head:bang head.

Now I can start some serious benching to get me stable at 3.6 without having to run an insane amount of voltage through this puppy. thanks again guys.

Thanks man, but hank123 did alot of the lookin around and testing i took da pics haha.

nice brother!

thanks for posting up the before and after. its odd that some of the Vdrop is gone now :confused:

I found it odd myself, but I had my numbers written down and there was some improvement in the Vdrop.

I found some more oddities. Just lowered my voltage in bios because of improved vdroop. Same clock 3400 9x378

bios 1.343
idle 1.296
load 1.296

no vdroop at all.:confused:
all votages were taken with CPU-Z

at higher voltage i can see more droop. however i would leave some droop in there. its not a good idea to get rid of it all cause there can be a voltage over shoot.

i just bought one of these - think it was this model... maybe i should play w/it :)

New here

Hello everyone. I am new here. I just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have read every word of it.

I just purchased the system as described in my signature. ($690)

I have not assembled it yet. Will soon.

I just have a few questions before I start:

Has anyone had problems with using 4 x 1GB sticks? I have read that using 2 sticks is better.

Has everyone lapped their Heatsink and/or CPU?

Any comments about my setup?

I look forward to pencil modding as necessary and thought I would introduce myself before I start posting questions.

Thanks everyone.

Anyone confirm this working with the EP35-DS3L? Or someone want to guide me through figuring out which resistor on my EP35-DS3L and I can post pics of the process if it is different?

Thanks!

Hello everyone. I am new here. I just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have read every word of it.

I just purchased the system as described in my signature. ($690)

I have not assembled it yet. Will soon.

I just have a few questions before I start:

Has anyone had problems with using 4 x 1GB sticks? I have read that using 2 sticks is better.

Has everyone lapped their Heatsink and/or CPU?

Any comments about my setup?

I look forward to pencil modding as necessary and thought I would introduce myself before I start posting questions.

Thanks everyone.

ya dude u have a different mobo then what the pencil mod is for and your thread jacking.

Anyone confirm this working with the EP35-DS3L? Or someone want to guide me through figuring out which resistor on my EP35-DS3L and I can post pics of the process if it is different?

Thanks!

i think the lay out is the same. just look

i think the lay out is the same. just look

Looked tonight and the layout is different. Here is a picture of the same area. Any guidance on how to find the right one?

moboqt1.jpg

its a different PWM Controller.

looking at a data sheet, on the bottom of that PWM ( the same side where i found the other one) you would want to trace down the points for the 4th and 5th pin. its not a for sure, its a i think.

it will be with in this area if there is one "again i think not a for sure". buy me this mobo and i will find it for u :santa: LOL

have fun!

newfind.jpg

Thanks, I found the datasheet too. It looked like the 14th pin iirc was the one I need to trace. I measure resistance between that and ground. Where do I measure ground at?

I will poke around abit and see if I can figure it out. If I can, I will start a post for that board too. Thanks for the help!

Back