• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R - Amazing Value!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Don't have anything to brag about yet but here's what I got so far. :beer:

I did have to play around with the voltages to get it stable at 4Ghz. 3 hours of prime95 and 10 iterations of IntelBurn Test on high and works great. ~73C on load with IntelBurn Test (~65C with prime95), I guess I can push it a little more. :)

Very nice so far...and yes, with those temps I'd bet you could push it a bit more if you like :beer:

Woah... 40c Idle? What's your ambient like because my i5 never goes above 32C idle...

Really? Well, I guess I could turn off winamp and it would go down by 2C-3C, haha. I have to wait for AS5 to settle but that won't improve the temperatures by a whole lot. I could tighten up the screws a little bit more on the heatsink but they're already really tight.

I think my temperatures are ok. :shrug:

What's your CPU voltage and frequency?

Really? Well, I guess I could turn off winamp and it would go down by 2C-3C, haha. I have to wait for AS5 to settle but that won't improve the temperatures by a whole lot. I could tighten up the screws a little bit more on the heatsink but they're already really tight.

I think my temperatures are ok. :shrug:

What's your CPU voltage and frequency?

vCore: 1.36
Vtt: 1.31
Clock: 200x20 (4Ghz)

I am using IC7 TIM and a Xigmatek Thor's Hammer with 2 1900RPM Kaze Slipstreams on it. :beer:

I don't know, we might be looking at different temperatures.

My CPU temperature is about 30C on idle, but the core temperatures are 34C-42C, depending on the core. You sure you're looking on core temp? I guess a water setup would be able to bring the temps <30C, Meghalems or a TRUE ~30C?

Maybe it's that IC7 you have. Wish my tube didn't go rock solid on me.

Idle temps aren't a good measure of anything on Intel chips. The sensors aren't very accurate at that distance from TJunctionMax and load temps are what counts ;)

Miahallen: You talked me out of waiting to get a LOTES board, I'll stick with the UD3R until the MIIIF is on Newegg open box again :p:

i5 750 + UD3R for $200 can't be beat.

Idle temps aren't a good measure of anything on Intel chips. The sensors aren't very accurate at that distance from TJunctionMax and load temps are what counts ;)

In that case:
62C average at 100% with Prime 95 for 24 hours. Spike Max temp of 65.

And I am using CoreTemp to look at my Temps, so I assume I am looking at the Core Temp...

In that case:

And I am using CoreTemp to look at my Temps, so I assume I am looking at the Core Temp...

62C is in line with where you should be at, Miahallen peaked at 92C (hotter than most people like, the "common" max temp is about 80C for people to be comfortable) and was still stable.

Yes, CoreTemp you should be reading...the core temp ;)

Miahallen: You talked me out of waiting to get a LOTES board, I'll stick with the UD3R until the MIIIF is on Newegg open box again :p:

i5 750 + UD3R for $200 can't be beat.

:beer: Good stuff man, keep us posted! :)

In that case:

Very nice...push it more :D

:beer: Good stuff man, keep us posted! :)

Just booted it up :) 4.2ghz with stuff left on Auto but not stable for even a minute in OCCT, surprised it even boots at "Auto" :beer:

Don't have a 1156 hold down or backplate for my GTZ yet, so made due with this:

IMG_2812.png

RipJaws should be here Saturday :santa:

LOVE the custom hold down :beer:

4.2GHz on auto sounds pretty good...how much juice is it getting on auto (check CPU-Z)?

LOVE the custom hold down :beer:

4.2GHz on auto sounds pretty good...how much juice is it getting on auto (check CPU-Z)?

1.392, moving on from Auto stuff to learning the board a bit. Been on 775 since I started with computers (3-4 years ago) so this is new stuff to me.

On my EP45-UD3P I was pretty good at tweaking GTL ref and clock skews to drop vcore required for stability, is there anything like that on this board/chipset? Or is it just luck of the draw on how good your CPU and board combo are?

I have not messed with GLTs at all on P55, but I've heard of a few playing with them, and finding some bennefit...so go for it :) I tried a few different "skews" but did not have a noticable impact...more testing is needed however :beer:

Last edited:
I have not messed with GLTs at all on P55, but I've heard of a few playing with them, and finding some bennefit...so go for it :)

Clock skews on the other hand SHOULD not have any positive impact. I say this based only on my own logical thinking, based on the design of this platform...and some very brief testing I did during this review :)

Sounds great, thanks :beer:

I noticed the stock skews are 700mv/700mv/0mv.

Sorry tool...I was thinking of "delay" when talking about "skews" before (edited post). I did play with skews a bit, but didn't find them to give any noticable improvement...but more testing is needed for a difinitive answer.

Obviously, "delay" was what I was talking about before, and should be avoided IMO ;)

Obviously, "delay" was what I was talking about before, and should be avoided IMO ;)

Agreed.

Looks like 4Ghz will take about 1.3v load, takes quite a bit more to get 4.2+ OCCT stable, now I just need my Ripjaws so I can start tweaking RAM on the lovely P55 chipset :D

Arrrgh, so frustrating. My UD3 (not UD3R I admit but close :p) refuses to work with a x21 multi.

I got the latest BIOS from Gigabyte, which is kind enough to let us set a x21 multi. However, doing so autoforces Turboboost on (of course) and also makes it unable to boot :p even when I lower the base clock down to 191 (so 4.01Ghz). Shame really :( I did manage to get it to boot once long enough to open CPUz et al. All the voltages were set on auto, and the vCore was reported at 1.360 while the Vtt was being reported at a whopping 1.4! D:

However, when I set those voltages manually, it gives a BSOD as soon as windows loads :(

Back to using my stable 200x20 setup until a new bios comes out, then I get to try it all again :D

Last edited:
...This board is garbage.

So I've ran my i5 750 at 4Ghz for the past week and a half or so... 2-3 days ago I started getting random BSODs. Now, the board is no longer stable 200x20. Not even at 160x20.

I looked inside and what do I find... Socket burn.

Overclocking board? Yeah, maybe for a few days. :-/

EDIT: Oh, to add to the above the mobo will no longer recognize all RAM... The BIOS sees all 4GB but during POST it recognizes only half.

Last edited:
Back