• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 USB issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emc2

Jersey (or as I like to call it, Near NY)
I'm curious if this is an isolated event or a common issue:

I just purchased a new GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3. The only problem is that my USB ports are acting odd (which isn't good, seeing that I purchased the board and new system for my protools rig, which runs USB peripherals). One port in particular will not pick up my keyboard, my mouse, or my Digidesign M-box 2. It WILL recognize and operate my flash drive and sd card USB adapter. It sounds like a power issue with the port, from my brief troubleshooting, but I am not sure.

Can anyone recommend some troubleshooting tips or steps I can make to test my USB controller and ports?

Here is my new rig:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU: Intel 2500k 3.4ghz (OC to 4.3)
MEM: Patriot Sector 5 ddr3 1600 2x2gb
HD: OCZ Vector Plus+ 60Gb SSD
MOUSE: Razer Naga
KEYBOARD: Razer Lycosa
PSU: Antec 500w
COOLER: Thermaltake Frio
CASE: Coolermaster Elite 430

(God, I love my new rig, but please tell me I don't have to RMA my mobo, what a pain in the ***, after completing the build!)

Also, interesting side note: the intel on-board graphics are only .3 lower on the
Windows experience index (@6.3) than my GTS-250 on my other rig. Hmm...

MOUSE: Razer Naga

Try replacing this mouse with a generic USB model for testing purposes. This model may not play well with your hardware and BIOS.

It's not the mouse, the mouse works fine in other ports, as do all of the aforementioned peripherals. It's just this one port acting funky. I don't get why the hardware doesn't work when plugged into this port while the flash drives do. And by "work," I mean "powering on."

Last edited:
It's not the mouse, the mouse works fine in other ports, as do all of the aforementioned peripherals. It's just this one port acting funky. I don't get how the hardware doesn't work while flash drives do....
The two red USB ports next to the PS/2 combo jack should be the ones you're using for KB & mouse. If all else fails in your troubleshooting, use a a generic USB KB & mouse plugged into these ports then reinstall Windows before RMAing the board.

Last edited:
Ok, maybe I need to clarify.

I'm not having a problem with my mouse or keyboard. It's ALL peripherals excluding flash drives that don't work in this port. I understand where the mouse and keyboard should be plugged. They work fine. It's not the issue. This port is the issue.

The only things that will work in the port are flash drives. It's weird.

Does anybody know of a way to test the port and diagnose the problem other than just plugging things in and going, "yup this works" or "nope, this doesn't work." By test, I mean running a diagnostic tool to measure transfer rate and voltage. It's not a dead port, I just don't know what's wrong with it.

I appreciate the responses, though!

<SOLVED>

After three OS reinstallations, somehow it started working again. I didn't do anything different, so I have no explanation of how or why it corrected itself. I'm assuming the drivers had something to do with it, yet I didn't install the drivers any differently than the previous installs in which the port was not functioning.

Thanks for the input though! 

Glad to hear you got the USB port running. I'm still trying to learn the BIOS lingo on this board- it's different from what I'm used to.

Back