• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC & memory issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

I just installed my Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC and everything is peachy keen 'cept for my memory. 2x4gb Mushkin enhanced Blackline and 2x2gb Mushkin enhanced blackline
I am unable to use my 12gigs of memory (it works, just popped it out of my old rig)
I can only post w/ either 4 gigs of ram installed in DDR1 and DDR3 or 8 gigs in the same slots.
The only way it would post was w/ the memory in the config you see below
In the slots: DDR1, DDR3

2x2gb will work in DDR1 and DDR3
2x4gb will work in DDR1 and DDR3

If I put 2x4gb in ddr1 and ddr2,it wont post.
If I put 2x4gb in ddr1 and ddr2 it wont post.

2x4 and 2x2 in DDR 4 and DDR3 = no post

Sugestions...help.... :shrug:

Just to clarify, numbered from the farthest away from the CPU to the closest, they're numbered 1, 3, 2, 4?

Looks like you gotta RMA the motherboard to me.

Orange slots are 1/2 , black are 3/4. Try 2x2GB in orange slots and 2x4GB in black.
Also try newer BIOS as F5 should fix some memory compatibility issues. I don't remember which beta was with that update but there is final version anyway. There is also F6 final which was released 1-2 days ago.
I had no issues with memory on my board and only in last 2 weeks I was testing about 11 memory kits but I didn't try to mix 2x2GB with 2x4 that for sure have different IC.

Last edited:
Comparing your 2x8GB with all the 2x2GB kits reveals that none of them have the exact same frequency/timings combo. Normally a motherboard will boot to the lowest frequency of the two kits and the highest timings and voltage. Your motherboard is quite new and could possibly have trouble matching these kits as none of them are on the QVL.

Hey where's the coffee and more importantly, the pleasant serving ladies? :shrug:

Is the RAM listed in the mobo's qualified vendors list? You are going to have issues even mixing two sets of RAM with the same specifications (even part number) from the same mfg. RAM nowadays is tested in XMP mode as a matched set, and sold as such.

Try sticking one set of RAM (that came from the same package) into the mobo and see if it helps.

These newer boards are VERY picky with RAM.

I have a matched pair that only works in ddr1 and ddr2.

The 4 sticks of Mushkin ram worked fine in other mobo and are all the same, 1600mhz, so I just assumed they would in this one.
I'll check and see whats recommended and maybe its time to upgrade.

Back