• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[GIGABYTE GAMING GT Z97] - no post or boot, led error code "20"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Babxbba

Good day to you all, I' m a new gigabyte user with a problem, so I wanted to have a confirm.

Problem is, I' ve buyed an upgrade for my rig (mainboard Gigabyte z97 gaming Gt and cpu I7 4790k), and after mounting all pieces it keeps rebooting after some second, not even post (in fact it gives nothing at screen too), and last thing is on main onboard led it signal code "20", as in photo:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3857/15193134421_ea8294cc5a_b.jpg

Tried all the usual (unpluggin energy, unplugging battery, verify cpu cooler, unplug all peripherals, ecc).

In particular, on manual it doesn' t say anything about specific code 20, but all codes beginning with 2 are about Ram startup.

My actual rams are 4x4gb blocks of code F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL, inclused on memory list for this main and tested on old rig with memtest for the usual night, no problems. tested to be sure in all slots slots with one ram at time on new motherboard, still nothing, so I suspect problems on ram slots.

Already sent a ticket to gigabyte, but having readen on forum that they aren' t so fast, and before sending back the pieces to vendor I want to ask to you:

someone already faced this code and can confirm to me what mean? some other idea about what can the problem be, or solutions that I haven' t thinked about? can be maybe the cpu that is faulted?

the other pieces of my brig are the case NZXT Switch 810, the psu an Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W, all pieces once putted old rig again works without fail.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my bad english (I' m italian)

P.S.: As adding from reply from other forums, I' ve already tried clear cmos too, and i can add that:

- I' ve tried switching levers and used the backup bios on single bios mode, the problem remains, nothing at video but it doesn' t reboot, stay still for indefinied time.

- I read that you need f5 bios version for this main to accept this cpu and I feared that it couldn' t go even on bios, but online (this forum too if I remember well) I' ve readen that it still arrive on bios with the f2 version thi main is shipped with. Can someone please confirm this?

Your picture has no ram installed...do you still get that code with ram installed? Have you tried each stick in the single slot (see manual for which slot to populate for a single stick).

Yup, tried each of my ram in possession on each slot (total all 16 combinations, first the one that should be filled normally) and still gives me the same result.

I'm going to guess its the bios. CPU support list says F5 is required. Not sure what is on there. Perhaps take it to a local shop that may be able to drop another chip in there and see what version is on there? Then perhaps flash would be my suggestion.

The fact that you are getting the same code with or without memory installed tells me its the CPU or the board/bios.

Yes, my two main suspects now are or ram slots faulted, or (more probable) bios not showing up until I put a cpu compatible with f2 bios. Can someone please confirm this?

Unless you hit the lottery and find someone here that coincidentally has a devil's canyon CPU and a bios previous to F5...

That is why we(well, I) are telling you to find a CPU and do check as opposed to waiting for a magic unicorn of your exact situation.

More than that I consider this question, toghether with all the other things done, my trying to resolve the problem before sending back the main.
So yes, while searching for compatible cpus I´ll try the question lottery too if they are free to ask and reply :p.

20-23 errors are caused by memory/memory controller. 55 or something near means that motheboard can't see memory or settings are wrong.
Simply if you get 20 error on any of your memory sticks then it's the motherboard or CPU as memory controller is in the CPU.
Check if memory is acting in the same way in every slot ( check 1 module at a time ). I don't think it's the memory issue as RAM has really low fail rate and G.Skill is preparing memory really good.

Thanks for this detail too, maybe i' ve found a shop near work that can lend me a cpu for the flash.

In any case, and hoping it could be helpful to others too, here' s the official gigabyte reply about updating bios:

"Dear Babxbba,

If the current BIOS is F2, the computer will not boot with 4790K installed. If you have other CPU compatible with F2, please change a CPU and update the BIOS to F5 before using 4790K. Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,
GIGABYTE"

Finally founded a loaned cpu, updated bios and now all fits his place, thanks for the help guys ^^.

Back