• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE Open Overclocking Championship 2008 - Taipei

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you did you best Ross and that was alot's good clocker's there you still stand out as one of the best. long as you had fun and tryed your best what more can you do congat's and welcome back
Rich

Thanks everyone ;)

The weirdness was the vid card fans not being plugged in causing it to reboot as soon as the driver/CCC/ATT loaded (and apparently checking fan speeds, finding 0 RPM and turning the system off) :rolleyes: We never even made it to the desktop for the first bench (Everest) and only got a couple 1Ms run by finally switching to a stock card about half way through the 1M bench time. I am not sure why we didn't get our score posted for 1M, but it wouldn't have been worth points anyway (8.32x IIRC).

We didn't find out til much later just how good our QX was and by then it was too late. Towards the end, I realized it would boot to the desktop @ 450x12.5 (5625MHz), all 4 cores, and even clock up from there. For all I know, it would've booted at 5.7GHz and done 1M @ 5.85, but I'd rather not know at this point LOL :beer:

Hindsight is 20/20 and had we known at the beginning what we knew at the end...well, ya know :) It was a great time no matter what, met a ton of OCers and both USA teams got to hit the stage, so can't complain too much :thup:

i saw the look of frustration when you guys were doing everest we didnt have any sound to hear what was going on lol..still figured something was up...
but still did a great job, hope you guys had fun.

Ah, I forgot all about the live feed :) My wife said she caught the last 5 minutes of it, but it was pretty much all done by then. Anyone know if they have a copy somewhere to watch? I haven't been able to find one and I'd be curious to see what how it turned out.

Hi guys,

Really really great time in Taipei. Thanks to all who voted/supported Ross and i and especially Gigabyte for hosting a killer overclocking event :thup:

Just remembered that I *do* have an account here :D

It was great meeting you guys, you will definitely have a prominent place in my article.

Shame about the freestyle 3DM2k1 run, but at least I got to witness all of it...which apparently doesn't mean much since I no longer remember the score...in the 110K range right? :screwy:

You will all be glad to know that they stayed frosty ;)

img_0834.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah...

Miah and I did a little benching last night in fact, he's in Seattle right now from Japan. Ross has a crap load of pics, we just need to wait to see them ;)

Just remembered that I *do* have an account here :D

It was great meeting you guys, you will definitely have a prominent place in my article.

Shame about the freestyle 3DM2k1 run, but at least I got to witness all of it...which apparently doesn't mean much since I no longer remember the score...in the 110K range right? :screwy:

You will all be glad to know that they stayed frosty ;)
Nice, thanks for stopping by Josh and good to meet you too. Looking forward to reading your article :)

114K+. I stopped counting how many times we hit it LOL. I think the record we set was how many times you can break the WR and not screen it in an hour :beer:

Benching again already Mark? LOL. I am getting ready to mod my cards :D

s'okay...incidentally my first 115k was just like that, never got a cap of it. 114k on 4850's is nasty. One of you had better reproduce that.

Or I'll have to

I thought for sure we'd get it on the last one, but we had to open so many things for the capture and the 2nd CPU-Z did us in.

It was on the 4870s because the 4850s never made it on our Freestyle hardware list, so we couldn't use them. Several 4850s WRs would've fallen had we gone that route. Come to think of it, that QX we had was pretty damn good, maybe we should've tried PCM05 :D

I've done 112K with 100% stock 4850s...that's why I am modding them now :beer: We're in striking distance, so I need to up the ante :)

I found alot more card clocks on my 4870's over there, 114K should look rather lame in a couple of days. But after seeing you latest, it feels a bit like peeing into the wind :D

Maybe you should've stolen the QX and given it to me. :santa:
That's not my style. They actually did a good job of setting it up so nothing like that happened. There was a lot of loose h/w and everyone had their own, so it would've been difficult to know if anyone was walking out with something that didn't belong to them. All the h/w from Gigabyte was serialized and OCers couldn't leave their tables until everything was collected and the numbers checked against what they were originally given. Sucks that anything like that even needs to be done, but it's not like there hasn't been problems before :(

I found alot more card clocks on my 4870's over there, 114K should look rather lame in a couple of days. But after seeing you latest, it feels a bit like peeing into the wind :D
And lower CPU clocks LOL. I think I know why we couldn't bench as high as I have been at home...probably could've cracked 115-116K if everything went right. If we had beaten it by 1K+ and couldn't screen it, I would've been a little more irritated, but Gautam is owning all right now, that's for sure :thup:

Hey Patrick :)

Nice to see you at OCF, it was great meeting and talking with you.

When you have done your write up, can you see your way clear to post up a link ?

Back