• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte P35-DS3R....I love it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Uh..

What is with the insane Rated FSB in this thread? anything past 1600Mhz/410Mhz FSB for me just craps my system out completey.
My northbridge is hot, very, and I've disabled everything I am not using through the BIOS. I am tempted to increase the MCM/FSB voltage to hit a higher FSB but since it's already running very hot right now, I really, really doubt the extra voltage is going to help any.

Also can anyone familiar with the BIOS explain this issue to me? It's annoying.

for a start your running a quad which puts a lot of strain on the NB so that will decrease the OC.

what multi are you running atm and can you lower the multi to get higher FSB? maybe try 7 cos thats what im using.

for a start your running a quad which puts a lot of strain on the NB so that will decrease the OC.

what multi are you running atm and can you lower the multi to get higher FSB? maybe try 7 cos thats what im using.

I've been able to hit about 430FSB before it completey screws up, at about 420 it's somewhat stable. Did you increase your MCH/FSB voltage at all? I've tried at stock. I suppose I'll give 7* another try and try increasing the voltage +0.1

oh and I decided to rip apart my old ABIT NF7 for it's northbridge fan.

sweeeeeeeet5bh2.jpg

It's a 2 pin fan connected to a 3 pin fan socket, works fine though. that isn't going to cause me issues is it?

I've been able to hit about 430FSB before it completey screws up, at about 420 it's somewhat stable. Did you increase your MCH/FSB voltage at all? I've tried at stock. I suppose I'll give 7* another try and try increasing the voltage +0.1

oh and I decided to rip apart my old ABIT NF7 for it's northbridge fan.

I set the fsb and nb to +0.3 but i was only running it for a few mins to get the screeny so temps werent rele an issue.

Hopefully ill get it stable somewhere near 490 with water.

So annoyed atm that i cant do anything with it...blooming PSU RMA

Uh..

What is with the insane Rated FSB in this thread? anything past 1600Mhz/410Mhz FSB for me just craps my system out completey.
My northbridge is hot, very, and I've disabled everything I am not using through the BIOS. I am tempted to increase the MCM/FSB voltage to hit a higher FSB but since it's already running very hot right now, I really, really doubt the extra voltage is going to help any.

Also can anyone familiar with the BIOS explain this issue to me? It's annoying.

You're ram is only rated for 400mhz...so, that may be a place to start ;-)

As far as i know, that third pin is just to monitor RPM.

Awesome :)

gd point...as his sig it says its running at 1066....maybe set the ratio to 2.

That's the thing..

I can run the ram at 3.0/2:3 ratio at 1068Mhz, 5-5-5-18, but I see no increase in performance in memory benchmarks, which I've tried to explain here, I'm not 100% it's configured correctly but surely the memory IS at that speed to have it displayed in the BIOS & CPU-Z, and to even boot up.

However if I stay at 2.0/1:1 and take my CPU to 400*8 (3.2Ghz), 800Mhz DDR at 4-4-4-15 I get stability issues, which become apprant within an hour of usage (crashing, locking up, BSOD shutting down etc), My is at vDIMM at 2.2v (coverd by warranty) and increasing the CPU voltage doesn't seem to help any as it boots at 1.3v at 2.8ghz, yet crashes eventually at 3.2Ghz at 1.425v. Even at 1.425v (about 1.380v according to CPU-Z) it still isn't 100% stable. Would increasing the northbridge and/or FSB voltage by +0.1v help me with stability? then I may be able to lower my CPU voltage a tad. I'm certain I've tried this with no success but I'll just ask.

I've tried lowering the multi (7*) and increasing the FSB too, but after about 420 Bus Speed it gets extremely unstable. The only way I could hit 1068Mhz memory was by setting the Bus Speed to something like 356Mhz and using a 3.0/2:3 ratio. It was a bit pointless but surely that shows the memory IS capable of hitting that speed, right?

Hm, here are some BIOS screenshots, as my computer is now. Which seems unstable by way Windows Vista booted up (it shows the password box before anything else, which is only does when it's unstable, atleast from what I've witnessed after a week of ****ing around)

supbioshw8.jpg

Disabled all the stuff I don't need/use
supbios2th4.jpg

Memory settings
supbios3wd8.jpg

Voltages

Any ideas? I am sure it's set up correctly. I get the feeling I am missing something quite obvious and that I should know.

Last edited:
I think you should try upping the nb voltage to +0.3 and putting a fatoff fan near it just to see temporarily if that is the issue....if it is then you can buy a new hs for the nb and then up the voltages permanent.

If not then try upping some of the other voltages.try n up the mch and fsb voltages

Last edited:
I think you should try upping the nb voltage to +0.3 and putting a fatoff fan near it just to see temporarily if that is the issue....if it is then you can buy a new hs for the nb and then up the voltages permanent.

If not then try upping some of the other voltages.try n up the mch and fsb voltages

Tried it..
450*7 at +0.2 NORTHBRIDGE/0.2 FSB/0.4 DIMM.. this was at 1:1, so 900Mhz memory, 5-5-5-18 timings.

it booted up, crashed very shortly after. Took it to +0.3.. got just into windows and crashed, tried again to the same result. Then tried to fix it and it crashed while in the BIOS, which worried me, though I guess it's fine since I was able to get back into it, change it to 400*6, 2.8Ghz, 1.325v, which it seems more than happy at.

The only voltage I haven't touched is the PCI-E, and I've kept the PCI-E Mhz at 100/101, not AUTO.

Tried it..
450*7 at +0.2 NORTHBRIDGE/0.2 FSB/0.4 DIMM.. this was at 1:1, so 900Mhz memory, 5-5-5-18 timings.

it booted up, crashed very shortly after. Took it to +0.3.. got just into windows and crashed, tried again to the same result. Then tried to fix it and it crashed while in the BIOS, which worried me, though I guess it's fine since I was able to get back into it, change it to 400*6, 2.8Ghz, 1.325v, which it seems more than happy at.

The only voltage I haven't touched is the PCI-E, and I've kept the PCI-E Mhz at 100/101, not AUTO.

hmmm...I cant see any reason to up the PCI-e volts but its worth a little try just to see what happens.

Also try more volts on the cpu...maybe go up to 1.55 if ur feeling brave....obviosly if temps get to high then down them...but if its just temporary to see what you can get it should be ok.

hmmm...I cant see any reason to up the PCI-e volts but its worth a little try just to see what happens.

Also try more volts on the cpu...maybe go up to 1.55 if ur feeling brave....obviosly if temps get to high then down them...but if its just temporary to see what you can get it should be ok.

I'll touch on 1.5v, considering 2.8Ghz runs fine at 1.325v, increasing by a whole 0.2 seems huge for 400 more Mhz. Sorry to hijack this thread with "MY PROBLEM!" also, but I guess this is the DS3R thread and I wanted fellow users to grace me as I wept with dismay :(

I'll touch on 1.5v, considering 2.8Ghz runs fine at 1.325v, increasing by a whole 0.2 seems huge for 400 more Mhz. Sorry to hijack this thread with "MY PROBLEM!" also, but I guess this is the DS3R thread and I wanted fellow users to grace me as I wept with dismay :(

It is a lot for 400Mhz but i was just trying to find out if any of the voltages were holding you back. Doesnt look like they really are. :( looks like its cos your running a quad...still its a pretty nice speed for a quad.

This is the P35(C)-DS3(R/L/P *and any others*) thread so its good that you put your problem in here...makes it easier for people to find for reference.

I will be doing a lot of testing with mine when i get my PSU back which should be some time next week so watch out! lol

Last edited:
It is a lot for 400Mhz but i was just trying to find out if any of the voltages were holding you back. Doesnt look like they really are. :( looks like its cos your running a quad...still its a pretty nice speed for a quad.

This is the P35(C)-DS3(R/L/P *and any others*) thread so its good that you put your problem in here...makes it easier for people to find for reference.

I will be doing a lot of testing with mine when i get my PSU back which should be some time next week so watch out! lol

Fustrasting. My PSU is more than enough for the task, Corsair HX620W..
I'll edit this post to give my findings. I just hope it is because it's a quad/I'm doing somethnig wrong, and not that I have a slightly bad motherboard :/ Really can't be doing with RMAing it.

I atleast want to get to 3.2Ghz at 1:1 and have it 100% stable. I've been messing around with this system for a week. I orderd an Accelero S1 with TurboModule for my 8800GT, plan to volt mod that and get it to about 740Mhz core without issue, and have it much quieter to boot. Once I get my core voltage and memory stable I'll be happy as fook with my system.

Fustrasting. My PSU is more than enough for the task, Corsair HX620W..
I'll edit this post to give my findings. I just hope it is because it's a quad/I'm doing somethnig wrong, and not that I have a slightly bad motherboard :/ Really can't be doing with RMAing it.

I atleast want to get to 3.2Ghz at 1:1 and have it 100% stable. I've been messing around with this system for a week. I orderd an Accelero S1 with TurboModule for my 8800GT, plan to volt mod that and get it to about 740Mhz core without issue, and have it much quieter to boot. Once I get my core voltage and memory stable I'll be happy as fook with my system.

yeah...i feel ur pain.

I doubt uv got a bad board. Just try changing every setting you can find lol. burrr RMAing is such a pain.

3.2 Should be gettable easily with this mobo. although i dont know how it handles quads so....

Sounds like ur gunna have fun with your 8800GT...im thinking of getting one of them after xmas...not sure if ill get a 512 or 256....the 256 price is looking pretty nice from where i am looking lol.

3.2 Should be gettable easily with this mobo. although i dont know how it handles quads so....

Sounds like ur gunna have fun with your 8800GT...im thinking of getting one of them after xmas...not sure if ill get a 512 or 256....the 256 price is looking pretty nice from where i am looking lol.

Depends if you're upgrading to one of the new 9*** come March, or Feb if you're rich. I'd personally recommend the 512MB, apparently DELL were selling them for $235 or something. I paid £187 for my card, with my cooling kit I'd have paid just over $400 for my entire card.

Anyway.. thanks to 3oh6 in my thread regarding memory I've got my system RAM running at a stupidly fast speed to what it was running at before. Plus the CPU voltage is down to 1.3750, I could do lower but I wanted to make sure I could atleast get into Windows Vista.

I'd recommend giving his lengthy replies a read since he talks about our board, sort of.

Edit; reread what I wrote and it came across as a tweaking guide, sorry. He just explains "Performance Levels" which helped me go from 6400mb/sec READ on my RAM to 8000mb/sec READ.

Last edited:
Depends if you're upgrading to one of the new 9*** come March, or Feb if you're rich. I'd personally recommend the 512MB, apparently DELL were selling them for $235 or something. I paid £187 for my card, with my cooling kit I'd have paid just over $400 for my entire card.

Anyway.. thanks to 3oh6 in my thread regarding memory I've got my system running at a stupidly fast speed to what it was running at before. Plus the CPU voltage is down to 1.3750, I could do lower but I wanted to make sure I could atleast get into Windows Vista.

I'd recommend giving his lengthy replies a read since he talks about our board, sort of.

Sadly im not rich enough to get a 9xxx series...god i wish i was. I really want to get the 512 but its just the money thats the issue...maybe ill just have to keep it a bit longer than i would the 256 and make it last its worth.

Will have a read of tht thread now thnks.

hey maybe you guys can help me out? i replaced the board in my sig with with this.. I know my e6400 is capable of 3.6 since it ran perfectly on my s3.. I recently lapped my cpu too in hopes to hit 3.8.

but more often now, my system will not boot when i go to turn it on, sometimes it does that double boot and restarts at defualt.. Id rock the cpu fsb around 450, ive tried the pci fsb to 102-105 tried those, tried upping the voltage on the vmem, pci, and the northbridge and tried the cpu at 1.55v and sometimes it would boot great after setting that, but if i turn teh computer off, and come back later and try to boot it, it will have the problem and have to reset to default. So i know the board is capable of handling this but for some reason it is not...

I got this board at frys, it was a open box item, should i get another one? RMA? or throw my p965 S3 back in ?

hey maybe you guys can help me out? i replaced the board in my sig with with this.. I know my e6400 is capable of 3.6 since it ran perfectly on my s3.. I recently lapped my cpu too in hopes to hit 3.8.

but more often now, my system will not boot when i go to turn it on, sometimes it does that double boot and restarts at defualt.. Id rock the cpu fsb around 450, ive tried the pci fsb to 102-105 tried those, tried upping the voltage on the vmem, pci, and the northbridge and tried the cpu at 1.55v and sometimes it would boot great after setting that, but if i turn teh computer off, and come back later and try to boot it, it will have the problem and have to reset to default. So i know the board is capable of handling this but for some reason it is not...

I got this board at frys, it was a open box item, should i get another one? RMA? or throw my p965 S3 back in ?

Hmm...that really doesnt sound good....is it completely stable when it works? (like 8 hours orthos)

Which BIOS are you running?

ive tried f4, f5,f8,f9...

im too lazy to run orthos for 8hours but it runs for a good few minutes and even gamed on it..

my ram sinks came in today too so i wanna setup my 8800gt on watercool.. debating if i should swap back to my s3 and try to get this ds3r RMA or see if i can swap it at frys since it should be withn exchange limit

it seems like RMA is the best idea cos i cant think of anything that would give random crashes. :(

Back