• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - SSD in AHCI and 2x2TB in RAID1???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celso

Just assembled on my parts for my new build but am getting stuck on this AHCI thing...need some advice...

i5 4670K
Z87X-UD3H
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
2 x Seagate 7200 2tb drives

other parts just for reference and because i'm a proud owner ;-)

Corsair Vengeance 1600 2 x 8GB
XFX Pro 650W
Corsair H100i
Fractal Design Define R4
Saphire HD7790

As most people i want to use the SSD as OS drive only and as fast as possible so in AHCI

Then i have the two other drives for storage and prefer to run them in RAID1...

In the shiny Gigabyte bios in only get the options SATA, AHCI or RAID - i've tried installing OS in AHCI then switching to RAID but no luck and the other way around it seems the SSD is in SATA mode only...

The samsung SSD comes with samsung drive magician software which says it's not in AHCI and not performing at it's best...

So what can i do to get what i want - this is an awesome board and i think it's possible but am not seeing it...

it comes with 8 SATA ports, 6 should be intel and other two is called GSATA by marvell

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

You would have to put the HDDs on the other Giga controller and set it to RAID. Though RAID includes AHCI so not sure why that software says that. I would just put them on different controllers is all.

How about setting the Intel controller mode to RAID, then once in the Intel RST BIOS configure the 2 x HDDs as a RAID 1 array. Like EarthDog mentioned, RAID assumes AHCI, so the SSD being on the same controller will assume a SATA controller mode of AHCI.

yeah i tried that but according to the software that came with the samsung SSD, the SSD is not in AHCI then....and not running at optimal speed according to it...

Will try the marvel sata ports...

Not sure which are preferable intel or marvel but this seems to be the only way to get what i want...

Intel ports are preferable on the SSD.

As far as what their software says, perhaps it isn't intelligent enough to know that RAID includes AHCI. My point is, test the drive using ATTO and see if its getting the results it should. Don't trust the software.

Post a pic. of the Samsung software showing the SSD isn't running in AHCI mode, this w/ the drives as configured like I suggested.

Back