• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gmail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

delljunks

i got it! 1000MB beats the helloutof Yahoo!'s puny 4MB. i luvvv it and i'm a beta tester (can't tell you how though :D )

lol gmail accounts are selling for like 40 bucks on ebay, this is ridiculous

yea but dont they reserve the right to basically scan your emails for content and then use that for advertising to you???? I dont want any service provider to be able to scan my emails.....Or retain them on their servers after I have deleted them......good luck but my privacy has been limited too much in the last few years already..

"The main two issues with Gmail is the policy of scanning email, in an automated fashion, with the intention of placing contextual based ads. The second issue is that Google continues to store emails that have been deleted by users."

heres a letter from privacy advocacy groups...............http://www.privacyrights.org/ar/GmailLetter.htm

i don't honestly care, i have nothing to hide (and i sacrifice this for 1GB anyday)

delljunks said:
i'm a beta tester (can't tell you how though :D )

Why not?? You mean it was something other than "you have been selected, click here to sign up"?

The whole privacy issue is a joke! All it does is look for keywords and then deliver ads based on those keywords. It's the same as how if you search for 'pc games' you'll find ads for 'pc games' on the right. It's not like they're reading your emails.

Of all the companies worth criticizing, Google is NOT one of them. There are bigger threats to your privacy in the grocery store. Did you ever think why they have those Safeway Cards or other discount cards? So they know exactly what you eat. It's a marketing device. The difference with that is they know where you live!

With that said, delljunks - send me an invite!

--Illah

who doesn't! i want one too!!
please please please?!
i heard of some blog site, was it blogsky or something? i can't remember, where if you had an active account there, you would automatically have an account in gmail....i forgot which blogger it was!! oh, www.blogger.com?!! but it should be active. not just sign up and let go!

I also have a Gmail beta account and have to say that it rules! While I would not use it for making purchases online (I have an account from my ISP to do that), I think that it's going to be very useful to be able to look back over old emails without using up precious space as with Yahoo and Hotmail free email accounts. I doubt that I'll ever have to think about clearing out my Gmail account because there is simply more space there than I'll ever need in an email account!

milad_sm said:
who doesn't! i want one too!!
please please please?!
i heard of some blog site, was it blogsky or something? i can't remember, where if you had an active account there, you would automatically have an account in gmail....i forgot which blogger it was!! oh, www.blogger.com?!! but it should be active. not just sign up and let go!

I think you're referring to BlogSpot.

The way that I got my beta account was through my blog at Blogger.com (a free service now owned by Google) and although it is really intended for those people like myself who actively maintain blogs, I know of many people who have gained beta testing accounts through this means.

Hee-hee. yeah, anyone who is involved with blogger.com can sign up for an account. :D

BTW, some of the other features of GMail rock. Conversation structure instead of a normal inbox makes stuff super easy to find, and the Gig of storage is simply schweet.

All you've got to do is sign up for a Blogger.com account and on the dashboard you will find an invitation to join the Gmail beta testing team:)

Back