• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GOING INTEL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, Mandrake, the guy that runs the mc i go to is a friend of mine so i get to play before i pay so i can dig through a few and pick one out.
Well that's a good deal, employee discount as well would be nice :D

Edit: C/D just thinking out loud, why not wait to get one of these newer Intel's with are supposedly going to have better TIM and beslightly better clockers?

Last edited:
If you don't need 4770K then I would grab some cheaper CPU and wait till haswell refresh hit the stores. I actually got i3 4330 which is pretty good for everything and is much cheaper ... also will lose less when I decide to sell it in 2-3 months. Still some fun testing it and tweaking board's options. Current 4670/4770K are usually pretty bad for OC. On the other hand it's hard to say if refreshed version will be much better.
All Z87 boards should work with new haswells and additional options are useless for most users anyway.

I'm just giving some option if you care about the money and future upgrades at the same time.

C/D talk to Johan about the fatlady Z87 he had nothing but issues with his, it may have been the board IDK. Knowing what you do to your components the Asrock OC sounds right up your alley! Fingers crossed you get a decent 4770k though, they seem to be all over the place with heat and OCing!

It was the Z87 Killer board and I just hated it, TBH. Maximus VI Hero made me soo much happier. It works like it should.

well, Mandrake, the guy that runs the mc i go to is a friend of mine so i get to play before i pay so i can dig through a few and pick one out.
That's a great option C_D, you just have to be careful with the pins on the board , they can bend very easily and then no exchange. I really don't know for the life of me why INTEL would do that but it is what it is.

That's a great option C_D, you just have to be careful with the pins on the board , they can bend very easily and then no exchange. I really don't know for the life of me why INTEL would do that but it is what it is.

Pins on CPU = more CPU RMA , pins on the board = more mobo RMA ... for some reason Intel stopped to produce motherboards recently :) ( at least these for desktop/small server market )

For me ASRock Fatal1ty series are like ASUS Sabertooth ... standard boards that supposed to look special but have nothing except the looks.
Still I would faster buy ASRock Extreme board which is from more standard series than any regular ASUS ( Pro, V etc ).
As I said for OC and general tweaking is ASRock OCF, ASUS ROG or GB OC ... forget about MSI or other brands, too many issues and die much easier.

Pins on CPU = more CPU RMA , pins on the board = more mobo RMA ... for some reason Intel stopped to produce motherboards recently :) ( at least these for desktop/small server market )

I knew somewhere it had to boil down to the $$$$$, Hell they're probably 50 cents cheaper to produce too. Doesn't sound like much till you multiply it by a million.

I knew somewhere it had to boil down to the $$$$$, Hell they're probably 50 cents cheaper to produce too. Doesn't sound like much till you multiply it by a million.

Just a little less gold in each CPU :rolleyes:

I bet there's less packing now that there's no pins as well.

splaves???

reading the manuals for these boards I am going to take a hit in the pcie slots in sli, from the x16-x16 that I have now to x16-x8, what kind of performance hit will I take, if any?

the z 97's are not out yet so I have been doing my reading.
my base rig will be with 1866 ram, gtx760's in sli, gaming and overclocking and reading about it looks like I may be served just as well with the z87 as with the z97 boards.
am I correct?

the z 97's are not out yet so I have been doing my reading.
my base rig will be with 1866 ram, gtx760's in sli, gaming and overclocking and reading about it looks like I may be served just as well with the z87 as with the z97 boards.
am I correct?

The way things have been going, I wouldn't expect any kind of impressive performance increase over 4th gen i5/i7.

Out of the boards they have listed at microcenter I don't think it's a bad choice. My only issue is if it is like the Asrock Z87 Johan had.

now that Z97 boards are on the shelf, this is the pick, any comment welcome.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/433089/Z97_Extreme6_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

She's ugly but if ASRock's recent track record is anything to go by it should be a solid performer. It's really too early to say what the best Z97 mobo is in the 'budget' sector because the K sku cpus for it aren't even out yet.

If history is anything to go by, ASUS' Z97A should be good. The Z87A was a fantastic budget board. Costs about the same as your ASRock.

I really like the asrock oc formula, the extreme 6 rises to the top for me because it's BLUE, a color i see,
these crosshairs are just grey and black to me and so is the oc formula.

asrock oc formula
Colors aside, the OC formula is supposedly a beast of a board for overclocking C/D. Don't know if they're making a Z97 Oc Formula but it may be worth waiting for?!?! You can always paint it blue. ;)

Manny,with what is going on with processors, I have plenty of time.
I don't expect to see much out of the haswell refresh and with broadwell over the horizon i have plenty of time. the psu is stuck up in canada, the latest cpu is over the horizon so I still sit.

Back