• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good, easy to use, DVD copy software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

Out of my group of friends, I'm the computer guy, so when anyone has a question even slightly related to computers it goes to me. One of my friends has a huge (like 300+) collection of crappy, B list horror movies. Pretty sure he owns every movie ever put out by Troma. Anyway, as anyone is who puts alot of time and effort into their hobbies, he is very anal about his collection. He's looking to back up each of his movies, so whenever he wants to watch one, he doesn't have to handle the actual disk. This is due to a mishap at a small social gathering where one inebriated fellow broke his copy of "Rabid Grannies". So he called me asking for a piece of software to use to make copies, and since I have never had to do anything of the such, I'm turning to OCF for recommendations. Something simple to use, where you just put a blank DVD in a burner and the movie in the DVD drive and click "copy" would be best. Anyone have any experience and can throw out some recommendations?

umm if he has tons of hard drive space he could use dvd shrink and rip to iso. That would be the easiest but at about 5Gb per file that would be really big collection.

If he used dvd shrink and then use something like handbrake he could compress the iso (u can also rip to another file format which the name escapes me at the moment) into smaller avi or mkv or divx etc. these are 2Gb for a 2hour film but at lower quality.

u can find tutorials online to use dvd shrink (with it you can also take out the menu and extras to save space) and handbrake. It is pretty simple but handbrake takes about 2 hours to compress a movie on my decently fast rig. It takes about 12 hours on my friends lappy.

He doesn't want them stored on his computer, he wants a copy on an actual blank DVD. But thanks for the suggestion.

How about using DVDFab HD Decrypter to rip, DVD Shrink to create an ISO, and IMGburn to burn the ISO? It might seem a little more complicated being that he would have to use 3 different programs, but I have been doing it that way for quite some time, and have had good results. All 3 of the programs are very easy to use, and really don't take that long to work. I can go from a new DVD to the backup being burnt in less than 20 minutes with my Q6600. Of course, the longest part of the whole process is the ripping, but it works well.

IIRC nero has an option to copy straight from one dvd to another, and I would think most disk burning programs would have that option as well.

I'm pretty sure DVDFab HD Decrypter has the option for on the fly DVD9 to DVD5 conversion from disc to disc.

I do remember seeing this option somewhere in DVDFab, but just haven't taken the time to give it a go. I have always liked the method I have used, so I tend to stick with it. One of these days, time permitting, I will give the option a try though.

Back