• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good overclocking board in the $80-$100 range?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neostarwcc

Okay I'm sick of sticking money into my second build, another Maximus V Formula died on me this morning :mad:.

While it's a good/decent board, my friend and I have just had way to many problems with it and stuck way to much money in it for our liking.

So I'm looking for a good overclocking board in the $80-$100 range. I was looking at these boards and prefer ASUS/ASrock but I'll take any suggestions you guys might have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131833

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157329

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157253

Easy...

1. RMA the overkill board.
2. You are going from one of the best boards out (for extreme overclocking) to something that will likely die a lot sooner. Please understand that the MVF death was anomalous.

You really do not want to overclock on most $80-$100 boards. First, the Asrock board is based off B75 which cannot overclock as there are no controls for it in the bios I believe. If it has the options, they will be limited. Not to mention its 5 phase power does not have a heatsink on it... not good for overclocking.

The fatality is decent, actually, but it is also Z68 (older chipset).

I would go with the ASUS board you linked personally.

Easy...

1. RMA the overkill board.
2. You are going from one of the best boards out (for extreme overclocking) to something that will likely die a lot sooner. Please understand that the MVF death was anomalous.

You really do not want to overclock on most $80-$100 boards. First, the Asrock board is based off B75 which cannot overclock as there are no controls for it in the bios I believe. If it has the options, they will be limited. Not to mention its 5 phase power does not have a heatsink on it... not good for overclocking.

The fatality is decent, actually, but it is also Z68 (older chipset).

I would go with the ASUS board you linked personally.

I can't RMA any of the 3 boards I bought, I bent the processor pins and other pins on pretty much all of them and ASUS is pretty much going to want the cost of a new board to fix it/them ($150-$200) plus $20 shipping cost. One has extreme bending and I know it isn't going to send backable. Don't ask me how I did it though as I NEVER bend CPU pins on any 2011 socket or AM3+.

I know it's the best overclocking motherboard around, used it for almost a year and loved it and I own a rampage for the 2011 socket It's just that it's also $200 a pop and I've had to buy 3 boards now... It's getting to the point where I'm "tapped out".

What about this board? It has a z77 chipset

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157297

Okay, and to ensure that I don't bend the pins on this motherboard too and spend $115 on yet another motherboard in 2-3 months, are there any prevention tips or something? It seems like you just breathe on the pins and they'll bend.

The only time I have bent socket pins out of the hundreds and hundreds of times I replaced CPUs was when I dropped the CPU in it. I have no secrets, just be careful.

I never really had this problem with AMD boards. I probably should just get a fx-8350 it's probably comparable to the i5 anyway.

AMD boards do not have pins(male), the have holes(female). AMD processors have pins which are much more robust than the 'pins' inside the Intel sockets.

Outside of the accident of dropping the CPU in the socket, I have NEVER had any issues with bent pins caused by my actions. But if you think buying a $250 processor and another board for $150 is the answer to your problems, then by all means, go for it.

Get a extreme 6 or extreme 4.. Don't go for ln2 type overclocking results and they'll be fine.

i have the pro 3. runs 4.5 ghz @ 1.32v on my 2500k just fine for the last year

you'll want a sound card though. the onboard is really bad and has a lot of feedback (at least on mine)

Back