• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good time to start water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wanted to get some more performance in games like Planetside 2 which are CPU bound, so I figured I would OC with liquid cooling. But is it really a good time to do it with the new processors coming out most likely this year? I am guessing they will be way more powerful than anything I could OC my 2600k to right? I ask because I haven't been following harware long enough to see the whole intel cycle, I started with the sandy bridge.

I haven't seen anything that indicates Haswell will be a "significant" improvement in performance.

The i7-2600k overclocks like a madman. no promises the Haswell will overclock well, if it doesn't overclock well then you'll see little performance difference between an overclocked SB and an overclocked Haswell. Furthermore Haswell will be a new socket design... which means a new motherboard as well in the price to upgrade.

with a water rig you should be able to port it over between computer builds. so there is some solid return on the investment. That said...

You probably won't see a huge performance increase from a big air cooler to a water loop. Sure, water will work better... slightly... but rarely is it worth the premium paid, unless you save yourself some money in exchange for time and turn it into a DIY project and go 'dumpster diving' for parts, then machine tool your waterblocks.

get yourself a Noctura nh-c14 and call it a day.

Last edited:
I have the ivy i5 3570k,

Haswell chips (will require new mobo 1150) should be released in June this year. I think just get either a sandy or ivy, skip haswell and wait for skylake (the next tock in intels cycle after haswell).

Last edited:
Back