• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good time to start water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

I wanted to get some more performance in games like Planetside 2 which are CPU bound, so I figured I would OC with liquid cooling. But is it really a good time to do it with the new processors coming out most likely this year? I am guessing they will be way more powerful than anything I could OC my 2600k to right? I ask because I haven't been following harware long enough to see the whole intel cycle, I started with the sandy bridge.

Don't the 2600k's OC like crazy even on air? By going to WCing, you likely won't get too much more out of the CPU (at least in terms of practical performance).

With that in mind, if you want to get into WCing, maybe now is a good time to start reading and researching, especially if you're planning on upgrading in the near future. It would be best to spend your time learning about the parts, planning a build, and then being ready when the right system comes along.

However, don't let me discourage you. My first major WCing project was by no means because of need, I just wanted something exotic to do to my computer, so I totally understand doing things "just cause"!! :)

They can get hot though, very hot. Mine had a problem with heat strait out of the box with the stock fan, though I later found out it had to do with the thermal paste. You don't think even throwing a full extra 1Ghz on there would give me a noticeable increase in performance?

your not going to get 1ghz increase over what you can do with a good air cooler. sandy's are super easy to oc most can run 4ghz on the stock cooler. 4.5-4.8 on good air

You can do that with a $30 cooler....(Hyper 212 Evo). But not 1GHz over what you can get on air unless something isnt working right. The sweetspot for that CPU is 4.5-4.7GHz and that can be done with air easily.

^ Exactly what I was saying. The benefit just isn't there to WC, if the decision is made for purely performance reasons. From a practical perspective, even if you could increase the clock speed by 1GHz, I would be willing to bet you would notice very little difference in the way your applications run, especially if you don't change any other parts.

(Custom) watercooling, meaning almost anything past the standalone, no maintenance kits, is mostly a niche market. IMO, one of the biggest perks of water cooling is to lower your temps to squeeze every last possible bit of performance/speed from your computer with practical (read: non DICE or LN) cooling methods. You will get more performance if you keep temps lower, and clock higher, but the question is, what do you want to pay to get the performance boost? You also have to honestly ask yourself what performance benefits you can actually expect.

I kind of have some experience to add on the matter although it is basically subjective. Using FRAPS to see the FPS I was achieving in Planetside 2 (Connery West, TR FWIW :p) on my old rig (Gigabyte board (MA790FXT-UD5P), AMD 945 C2 Stepping OCed to 3.825GHz (Water cooled), 4x2GB G.Skill 1333 Ram at 8-8-8-21, EVGA GeForce 660ti Superclocked) vs my current rig (See Signature except RAM, GPU/VGA, and storage was the same) the difference is being able to play the game on medium graphics with 40 FPS average in major battles to playing the game on ultra with 40 FPS average in even the most intense battles at the Crown being besieged by both the NC and the VR. After swapping out the memory, I never see the 30's for FPS anymore, it's almost always higher than 40. Excessive, probably, but stutter free! :)

The Ultra settings are unlockable through editing the ini file that controls graphics output. This is laid out by Sony and according to them is 100% acceptable and even encouraged because it only changes the graphics quality and not what the graphics display/show. Basically it comes down to the shadows, number of particles shown in large firefights and lots of grass everywhere. It's the settings they used for the launch screen shots.

Obviously there was a pretty huge change going from a quad core 945 C2 at 3.825 GHz to a 3770k at 4.7GHz just from changing the processor, but with memory, storage, and the VGA/GPU staying the same it is as close of a comparison as I can provide.

Water cooling is very much a hobby that has it's own pro's and con's. I went with watercooling because it does allow me similar temperatures to high end air cooling without the noise, and because I had never done it before, and the Swiftech kit I purchased made it ohh so easy. Depending on the direction that you go for processor choice the Swiftech kit can be adopted as the Apogee waterblock is "universal". If you can make a mount for it (if they don't include or offer the one you need (that is free by the way)) and the processor heat spreader isn't larger than the water block, it will mount.

IIRC Intel is sticking with the same heatsink mounting style for Haswell/Broadwell (please correct me if I'm wrong) so at least up through the next tick/tock cycle you should be squared away for the mount on say the Swiftech kit. I also don't think AMD is ditching AM3+ anytime soon either but the mounting solution for AM3+ is the same as far back as Socket A IIRC.

One thing that I did like is that Swiftech ships the H20-X20 series with all of the modern Intel mounting solutions and some older ones (Socket 755 for example). The AMD AM3+ bracket had to be asked for from Swiftech but was sent out, overnight, at ZERO cost to me. I think the best part of the kit is that should, more like when, I chose to expand this water loop, I can. The block itself has 2 additional outputs on it for parallel loops and the reservoir/radiator/pump combo has the locations to support those 2 additional parallel loops. The pump is their MCP35X pump which has a solid reputation as being a reliable pump (at least form my research :shrug:), the radiator, and blocks are all copper/brass and the waterblock (Apogee HD at the time of writing) is also very nice. Basically, for the price of $240, you get a complete water cooling set up for your CPU and future CPUs for at least the next few years with the high possibility that Swiftech will release updated brackets for the CPU for future units. The biggest disappointment I had is that their kits no longer come with the Prolimatek PK1 TIM but one of Swiftech's own TIMs. I haven't tested it against anything else yet (I have some Gelid Extreme TIM (or whatever it is) here that came with my ASRock Z77 Formula OC) but it was good enough to get a 3770k to 4.7 GHz with their water kit and keep temps under 95ºC under Prime95 Blend FWIW. I also didn't get the Rad Box for external mounting but I didn't have any plans to do that anyway so it didn't matter to me.

Well I mean I would OC it as fast as I could get it, if it can be pushed higher I will push it.

IMO you don't need it for the hardware you currently have, i would save the money for a new haswell build when it launches around June ;) A proper water cooling setup would cost easily more than a 1150 mobo and haswell chip.

I guess...never mind. I thought overclocking would show a decent performance increase in a CPU bound game, but if not I won't bother with it then.

Overclocking may increase performance, as we've said above, but the ADDITIONAL amount you would be able to push the CPU due to WCing it would not likely be worth the cost.

So you still think an air cooler would net me some extra fps, like enough to notice (10-15)? Planetside 2 is the main reason I am doing it, and it is HEAVY on that CPU.

idk i doubt the cpu is what is holding you back. i dont think at stock it would bottle neck them much if at all. though i could be wrong.

Overclocking may increase performance, as we've said above, but the ADDITIONAL amount you would be able to push the CPU due to WCing it would not likely be worth the cost.
There you go... glad someone is paying attention! :thup:

So you still think an air cooler would net me some extra fps, like enough to notice (10-15)? Planetside 2 is the main reason I am doing it, and it is HEAVY on that CPU.

What I would do is check some benchies specific to that game. I've never played it, so I can't say with certainty. Besides, if you don't WC, use an air cooler, and you're only out 40 bucks if you don't see any increase! :)

If you WC and don't see any increase, you're out $400 :0.

idk i doubt the cpu is what is holding you back. i dont think at stock it would bottle neck them much if at all. though i could be wrong.

It is the CPU. Planetside 2 has this feature I have never actually seen built in-game before where it tells you what is bottle-necking. When it is at 70+ fps it tells me the GPU is, but when in a large scale battle it dips down to 30 fps and says the CPU is bottle-necking. This is common in MMO's, they require a lot more CPU than GPU. This is mainly for the amount of players in the area, not drawn on screen.

ah oki are you using the stock cooler on that cpu? if so you can likely get 4ghz out of it right now and have safe temps. like said before a cheap hyper212 can get you 4.5ghz

4.8-5 is what i was aiming for, I have seen it done many times but I suppose it differs on each cpu.

yea every chip is different, mine will run 4.9 @ ~1.35v but wont post with any settings at 5ghz ive tried, though it could just be my crappy motherboard.

Back