• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good under $100 motherboard to OC an E6400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There are only a few mobos which have both DDR2 and DDR3 slots though. I wouldn't be too worried about that honestly.The best boards for around your price have already been mentioned - the Gigabyte P35-DS3 and the Abit IP35.

p35 can use ddr3 but if you get a board that has both then you better hope to not have to increase the ddr2/3 volts. one guy that i have seen so far has fried ram cause of that hybrid board. just go with ddr2 atm, ddr3 wont be ready till mid next year.

either of these is more then enough
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127031
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128050

sweet, thanks
Hopefully I sell my WRX soon and can spend my first non-car-payment on one of these

is the DS3R worth the extra $25? I'm not afraid to spend a bit more than $100 as long as it's WORTH it

is it worth waiting for the X38 chipsets?
It's very possible that the launch of the X38 chipsets will chop the legs out of the P35 market too.

it wont X38 is suppose to be in the 200-300 price range so.... still though if you want to option of CF then look at X38, 3 pci-e 2.0 slots and some new goodies. there are also gonna be ddr2 and ddr3 based x38 motherboards.

well, I won't be buying until I sell my car anyway... which may be another month at this rate.
If the X38 is going for the $200-300 range, I'm hoping some of the $200 P35 chipsets will go down a little.

well, I won't be buying until I sell my car anyway... which may be another month at this rate.
If the X38 is going for the $200-300 range, I'm hoping some of the $200 P35 chipsets will go down a little.

nah they wont drop from what they are now, its pretty much the same. new release prices are high due to demand. after about 1-2months after release they drop a bit, about the only thing you might see on some boards would be a MIR thats about it.

Well, now you only want 3ghz. Once you get your board and get moving and hear other people's reports you'll have the "bug" and want as much as you can get. The DS3R is a good board though, I'd probably recommend that as well.

I'd also recommended staying far away from DDR3 at the moment. You'll pay a premium for RAM that you just do not need at all.

yeah.
well, I mean, I want to go as far and as safely as I can go with my OCing, but 3ghz is my lower level of where I want to be.

I wonder how much ram speed will be needed to keep up with a video card at 1 teraflop. Doesnt seem in line with the through put of the rest of the system, Like dual Gigabit ethernet on the same bus doesn't. I don't think X38 will be a massive boon to oc'ing. I'm sure boards will have advantages and then NV will answer with some new advanced chipset made for this 9 series card, possibly going with the Barcelona if its anything like its supposed to be. NV liked dealing with AMD, I think it made them feel bigger.

thank you.
got my finances in order, also shopping an 8800GT to go with it

Back