• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good way to sync music

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

So basically I miss how Itunes acted as a database for my ipod. I plugged an ipod into my computer, and Itunes made that ipod an exact copy of what was on my Itunes. I have had an android phone for the past several years and have been loving it far more, but that seems to be the one feature I really miss.

What I am looking for:
The long version: So what I am looking for is to have a "master list" of songs which includes the album art, artist, track info, ect. that my phone can sync with. This master list should be taking info strait from the files, with the ability to edit the files info directly strait from the player. Then this master list would be able to be synced with an android phone as an exact copy. So this means say I delete 3 songs off of my phone, the next time I sync they will be put back on it. Now let's say I delete those 3 songs off the master list and they are on my phone, next time I sync I would want them to delete themselves from my phone. I would want a program that would work with most any android phone. Lastly I would want this to be able to arrange my music library folders in the standard order of Artist->Album->Song automatically. Maybe a folder you drop it into where it automatically sorts it into the library?

The short version: I am looking for a music player that will manage all my songs, is easy to edit the track info with, organize them, and sync them making an EXACT copy of it onto my phone. Changes made on the computer side will effect the phone side, but changes made phone side will not effect computer side and will be overwritten when synced.

What I have tried:
Windows Media Player- Seemed like an obvious one, it comes on every windows computer. It was good about the syncing being an exact copy, but that was about all it have going for it. When editing the album info it would not update it on the actual mp3 file, just in WMP own data. It also would not organize the music by artist->album->song. Overall it seems to be fighting itself.

Google Music- Wow I have to say I am surprised I didn't stumble on this sooner! Slick interface, cloud storage, easily able to edit everything's album art, track, artist, genre, ect. It really bugs me that the files wouldn't be locally on my computer but since I have the ability to download my library (even sorted the way I like) I suppose I can forgive it. Google Music is on every modern android phone so this makes it a very nice choice, however there is one large fault: It simply does not sync. It allows you to play your entire library wirelessly yes, but not just sync it. Heck if I could just find a way to keep the google library as a master list then sync it to my phone I would be set.

So any thoughts or ideas?

I don't know, I am in such two minds over if I really want to actually get Itunes again. It has been years since I last used it, and it is such a bulky piece of software. I am not sure if it even does everything I listed that I needed. Does it directly modify the file? Sort the songs? Because I actually switch out the drive my OS is on pretty often, which is where I want to store my music player (its an SSD) and when I used to use WMP the problem I had was it couldn't take the music files (on my other drive) and just be ready to use. I had to redo the album and artists for a lot of the music.

Back