• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google Crome - NEW Web browser

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you need that many tabs at any time for any reason........seek help! :screwy:

i do the same, i open say OCF, go to "get new post" right click open in new tab on all the threads i want to read, then i go back and read them, instead going one, by one, change page, go back, search again.

i often open H and OCF and do that for both, easily getting over 20+ tabs going.

Multi-tasking my friend, multi-tasking, also for work i may have 4 or 5 or 8 or 9 pages open for work stuff at once time.

Isnt FireFox the same, you have to download and then run a file, where as with IE you can choose to save or run the file... i dont want to download a zip file, then open it then extract, just download/open in one step then let me extract

I really like it so far feels like a tweaked Opera what is my main browser, would like more control how to customize it and cookie pop up settings and a few FF addons could find their way to it.
Someone complained about the homephoning features among the comments of Ed's article.
Those can be turned off see here.

Seems to me it gets too many attacks just because it's a google made product and I am not a fan of them either, but I wonder whether the same person disabled the same suggest feature or safebrowsing in FF or Opera which works a similar way.

well i thinks its pretty damn awesome. I will probably still use firefox as well though

all it needs is an ad blocker plugin and im happy. Its worked for all websites that ive been to so far as well. But like any new browser, its bound to have its problems.

Well for those looking for about pages I have found a few so far.

Code:
about:memory
(memory usage report)

about:stats
(not sure exactly what that stuff means)

about:network
(network usage and performance)

about:internets
(blank page but the tab title says The Tubes are clogged!)

about:histograms
(some kind of charts)

about:dns
(current fetches and pre-fetches of dns info)

about:cache
(links of everything in your cache)

about:plugins
(shows what plugins are enabled)

about:version
(build info)

and my most favorite one
about:%

(I'll let you do that one on your own!)
A few of these I stumbled onto on my own... A few were given to me by a friend

Last edited:
First impressions are very good so far. From a web development perspective, it seems to render pages similarly to the way FireFox does. After testing a bunch of websites I built last night, I'm not too worried about having to support a different set of standards... *cough*IE*cough* It would appear that if your markup and CSS validate, then it should render correctly. What a shocker! :D

So far, I like it a lot. It feels very light weight, and doesn't seem to get in the way of itself like some browsers do. If it supports extensions (ie: FireBug and Del.icio.us), then I may switch to it as my primary browser for a while... but for now, FireFox has way too much good functionality for me as a developer.

Yea... when you do that it crashes without fail, but I can put in the % sign (look i just put a % HERE and there) in without it crashing.

I FOUND SOMETHING FOR ADBLOCKING!!

HEY!!
While browsing around I found a way to block some ads when using Chrome.
http://www.privoxy.org/
Privoxy is a client-side proxy for ad removal, and since it's browser independent (e.g. almost all browsers support proxies) it'll work with Chrome.
I'm going to install it now.

installed.
It's not as good as AdBlock, because it doesn't shrink the ad panes, but it does block ads on movies sites like HULU, so that's good enought for me.

Last edited:
i haven't tried it yet and i would have to say that i probably won't unless it can compare to firefox with the add-ons. what can i say, i can't live without adblock plus :D

After continuously using it for 1 day now I have to say I'm liking it.
Ive tried Firefox, IE8, and now chrome..
chrome it is for me.

Tried it last night and for me is sucks. I don't like the way it's laid out and I couldn't find any dropdown boxes or a favorites column. Plus, the scroll wheel control is fubar too and just scrolls down, not up. I dumped it this morning and let Google know what I thought about this pathetic excuse.:rolleyes:

I want something faster and with a smaller memory footprint, but not have to learn how to use their browser. That's another reason why I detest IE7 so damn much too. I much rather a traditional browser layout.

Faster?
When I use chrome it doesn't lag like IE or FF when I have a lot of tabs open (yes I'm one of those who open 20-35 tabs at once.)
While it does use more memory initially I think that it will use it more effectively after you've been using it for a while. (I've had FF jack up over 250mb of ram)

damn i dont know how you guys can handle 20 tabs lol and everyone i know says i have to much **** open cus i normaly have about 8-10 tabs but 20-30 thats just crazy!!:screwy:

theres a pretty nice review over at anandtech that explains some of its features
id check it out if you already havent

Well I was just overjoyed.... Flash crashed and said that chrome was going down with it... Well... I just refreshed the page and boom... everything was back to normal. I would like to see firefox do that!

so far it seams to load the pages quicker. But there is almost no way to move stuff. I don't like how the taps are way up top. And i don't see a way to add a home page button. i have to do a lot more clicking to get basic task completed. Ill keep it just for testing but not going to be my default yet.

Well I was just overjoyed.... Flash crashed and said that chrome was going down with it... Well... I just refreshed the page and boom... everything was back to normal. I would like to see firefox do that!

I have already had it crash on me :S

I have been running this for about 24 hours now, and gotta say. This will be a great browser someday. But that day is a long way off.

Maybe when its out of beta i will give it a run through. But..

Having back browser reload a page rather then just backing up a page is TOTAL BS. I lost a ****ing 5 paragraph post in GD. Never had that happen in IE or Opera (do not know if it does this in FF, although pronet did have a cpoy to clipboard button on there forums so if you got timed out you could just paste it back in.)

Spell check works in SOME places, not most. If you hit post replay then make a spelling error it will correct it. Does not work in quick reply or anywhere else. (I just figueed this out, I though it was just wonky) oops nope I am wrong it will not correct anymore then one word I guess? Dunno

Also went looking for all these great google apps that are integrated. If the idea of this browser is that it integrates all these web based apps seamlessly, why do I have to google around to find out about them? Shouldn't there be a toolbar or um a FAVORITES/BOOKMARKS section where they all are at??
Not having a bookmarks icon to pull down but having a bookmark page icon is kind of ridiculous too. Why not one pull down for both? I did find the bookmarks "bar" but I never implemented the bar in Opera either. a little ridiculous when you have a 100 or more bookmarks.

The new tab page that pops up. It would be nice if you could set the pages that appear rather then just putting some in at random. So far I have 2 Chrome download pages (same exact page) 2 ocforums pages (same exact page) ebay pages, actually have different pages in here and some others. In my "history" I have websites URL history it has pages that I never went to. (For some reason google thinks that when I start typing OCF i want to go to the webpage for the foundation on obsessive compulsive disorder not ocforums. oh on a side not google is telling me that google is spelled wrong :clap: )

Back to old trusty :)

Back