• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google password notification: legit concern or

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Google password notification: legit concern or ploy to get you to use Google's Password Manager?

"Google found some of your passwords online...."

passwords.png

I just went through a bunch of password changes maybe a month ago, due to similar notification. If having to change passwords frequently because of websites not practicing adequate security for user data, then I guess it's just a sign-of-the-times, eh?

Perhaps I'll just bite the bullet and change up all my login passwords, whether or not such is particularly necessary, regardless of the reason Google's emailed advisory.

This is kind of reminiscent of my working years when the company's IT dept. forced employees to change their workstation passwords every several months, assuming that everyone was careless. :rolleyes:

Google is probably supplying yet another regurgitation of haveibeenpwned.com. I damn well hope Google, of all places, is not storing passwords in clear text such that they could actually determine if your passwords are leaked. Any place that tries to restrict the character set of your password entry is a place you know is storing them in clear text, though; don't trust any site that has those stupid limits. Like Chase Bank.

I imagine it is similar pettyg, probably referencing hibp for a url and the email/account name in your saved passwords. Then checking against when the beach happened versus the last time your password changed.

Well I did sit down and change a ton of passwords, even on forums that I really don't frequent anymore.

Google is probably supplying yet another regurgitation of haveibeenpwned.com. I damn well hope Google, of all places, is not storing passwords in clear text such that they could actually determine if your passwords are leaked. Any place that tries to restrict the character set of your password entry is a place you know is storing them in clear text, though; don't trust any site that has those stupid limits. Like Chase Bank.

Chase Bank? I just started dealing with Chase with an account set up for our newly formed company. :(

Back