• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my first quad, Q6700, but it's rather hard to OC on an IP35 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i would say ACS on PWM's and AS5 on NB/SB. though i still would use ASC, since i have a hugh tube of it i paid $10 for like 3years ago. :eek:

Have you tried 450fsb at 10?

10x and 9x450fsb, for that matter is a no go. My chip doesn't clock that high with my current cooling setup. I can only hit about 3.8ghz before temps get scary, so the best I can hope for is 8x475 or 7x500+.

Yea I have the same problem with 9 or 10 multi with just 400fsb. So the reason the cpu won't clock that high are the temps? So, if I were to put a w/c block on the cpu, I'd, theoretically, be able to reach those high clocks?

Yea I have the same problem with 9 or 10 multi with just 400fsb. So the reason the cpu won't clock that high are the temps? So, if I were to put a w/c block on the cpu, I'd, theoretically, be able to reach those high clocks?
Look's like your stuck at 3.2 maybe a dud chip

Last edited:
Trist,
You might be able to gain 100-200mhz by going to watercooling. as well not many 65nm quads hit 4ghz as by your 10x400mhz. your most likly to be topping out around 3.4-3.8 depending on the chip. older G0's were hitting 3.8ghz tops with some now hitting 3.6ghz. i would aim for 3.4ghz, my other thought after reading your settings. is the ram speed according to one of your posts ur using the 1.25 multi. have you tried 1:1 yet with 8x multi?

i would say ACS on PWM's and AS5 on NB/SB. though i still would use ASC, since i have a hugh tube of it i paid $10 for like 3years ago. :eek:

Exactly...

Also remember my (used) chip that gets to 4500 on this board never made it past 3700 or so on a ASUS board...

(saying its the BOARD! :santa:)

Yea I've tried 1:1. I dont' remember exactly why I changed to 1:1.25 but I think I read a suggestion to change it to 1:1.25. I'm also thinking ithat the change to 1:1.25 made things more stable. Could you guys explain this whole FSB to ram speed ratio? I mean thought I understood it. I thought that ram just needed to be the fsb x 2. So let's say I'm running 400mhz fsb, I thought all I need was 800mhz ram(2 x 400). Also, if that thinking is correct, then why do you multiply the fsb by two? Do things change when you're using 8 gigs of ram as opposed to 2, in terms of fsb to ram speed?

Yea I've tried 1:1. I dont' remember exactly why I changed to 1:1.25 but I think I read a suggestion to change it to 1:1.25. I'm also thinking it's more stable. Could you guys explain this whole FSB to ram speed ratio? I mean thought I understood it. I thought that ram just needed to be the fsb x 2. So let's say I'm running 400mhz fsb, I thought all I need was 800mhz ram(2 x 400). Also, if that thinking is correct, then why do you multiply the fsb by two? Do things change when you're using 8 gigs of ram as opposed to 2, in terms of fsb to ram speed?
No all you have to do is keep the memory in spec 800Mhz and below

I think you just have a dud chip thats all.

Last edited:
Yea I've tried 1:1. I dont' remember exactly why I changed to 1:1.25 but I think I read a suggestion to change it to 1:1.25. I'm also thinking ithat the change to 1:1.25 made things more stable. Could you guys explain this whole FSB to ram speed ratio? I mean thought I understood it. I thought that ram just needed to be the fsb x 2. So let's say I'm running 400mhz fsb, I thought all I need was 800mhz ram(2 x 400). Also, if that thinking is correct, then why do you multiply the fsb by two? Do things change when you're using 8 gigs of ram as opposed to 2, in terms of fsb to ram speed?
while im not getting the whole picture here... if your running 4 dimms in the board then your going to need a touch more NB voltage. since it the NB is stressed more in this setup. no if your just running 2x2gig kit then no there is no difference in ocing 2gigs vs 4gigs as long as its still just 2 dimms in the board. the simpliest way i can releate the Abit dividers is like multipliers for the ram like cpu multies. 1:1/1:1.125,for instance then take the number and times 2 for DDR speed. use the second number then multipy it by the fsb. making a 1:1 ratio in line with your FSB speed, so at 400mhz your ram is at DDR2-800,now if your pumping alot of voltage to the ram like 2.1 for ddr2-800 cas5 then you can cuase errors in the ram. at 1.25x400 your ram speed would be DDR2-1000.... which your ram can do no problem since it specced for DDR2-1066 cas5. i still feel there is setting "we" are overlooking or is being left out. when i get home later i will PM you for some info.. i will say i think the biggest problem you have now is cooling. you would have better luck with a TRUE or ninja hs over that zalaman cooler. while it can handle some oced cpus, i wouldnt be using it for a oced quad core.

I think you just have a dud chip thats all.
3 posts saying the same thing.....
I find funny you said that same thing about Klear's E7200 as well cause it couldnt hit 3.8ghz. yet i was able to help him hit that speed.... now im not saying his cpu will hit 3.8ghz but the Q66/Q67 can hit atleast 3.4ghz.

I find funny you said that same thing about Klear's E7200 as well cause it couldnt hit 3.8ghz. yet i was able to help him hit that speed
Well that took allot more V core than most voltage safety people on this form will not condone.

Don't get me wrong i think just about anything can bee done short term, but will it fail to degradation.:beer:

Well that took allot more V core than most voltage safety people on this form will not condone.

Don't get me wrong i think just about anything can bee done short term, but will it fail to degradation.:beer:

we are talking 65nm cpu here not 45nm, its not a issue. 65nm dual and quads can handle 1.55v under good air. on his cooler my tops would be 1.40v maybe 1.45v depending on temps. on water you can run 1.6v max some have used 1.65v.

as well with klear he didnt need more CPUV, what he needed was a touch more CPUVTT. those two functions are very different.

Last edited:
as well with klear he didnt need more CPUV, what he needed was a touch more CPUVTT. those two functions are different are very different.
Klear only did a post of him priming. He never posted that he was prime stable at 2.8 he never came back.:)

Klear only did a post of him priming. He never posted that he was prime stable at 2.8 he never came back.:)
this is for that thread so drop it from here. try to help the op instead of being a echo in a cave.

In a round about way, yes. Basically, to hit 3.8ghz+ (on my chip), I have to feed it 1.5+ vcore. The voltage is really what starts my temps sky-rocketing. CPU temp seems to increase exponentialy with vcore after about 1.45v (again, every chip is different). At 1.55v I start getting into the mid 60c's (load) even on water. After that, the mhz benefit vs the increase in temperature with more vcore just isn't worth it. In other words, the vast increase in temps is not worth the extra 50-100mhz I may be able to squeeze out of the chip by increasing the voltage.

Thankyou to the people who put input into this thread, have a Q6700 having some 3.42Ghz problems and the advice given in this thread should help me - will post results if people don't mind me jacking the thread

Back