• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my new cooler, unstable nonetheless.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It doesn't really surprise me that you're not getting stable with 1.4 vcore. You'll probably need more like 1.41 or 1.42.

I have this hunch that something is either turned on, or you're just not giving it enough vcore.

Don't forget to turn off all of the power management crap in your bios. C6, APM, Turbo Boost, etc.

It doesn't really surprise me that you're not getting stable with 1.4 vcore. You'll probably need more like 1.41 or 1.42.

I have this hunch that something is either turned on, or you're just not giving it enough vcore.

Don't forget to turn off all of the power management crap in your bios. C6, APM, Turbo Boost, etc.

All the green stuff is off, turbo core is off, vCore is at 1,41 right now, Worker 1 stopped and restarted after like 10 minutes of P95.... DO I need to be worried about it? I stopped P95.

EDIT:
settings.png

My current OC settings as shown in AMD OD.

This. Stop the test, give it more vcore. Also, Go up your voltage in the bios, not in AMD overdrive.

I am changing settings in the BIOS but AMD OD provides easy screenshots. ;)

Everyone! Thank you!
I've got my CPU at 4GHz now, with 1,42 volts, it passed P95 for 20 minutes.
Someday in the future I'll run a longer P95 test, but for now, this is fine for me.
I'm dropping my goal of 4.2GHz due to the voltage already being a tad higher than I'm comfortable with...

Thanks! :)

Everyone! Thank you!
I've got my CPU at 4GHz now, with 1,42 volts, it passed P95 for 20 minutes.
Someday in the future I'll run a longer P95 test, but for now, this is fine for me.
I'm dropping my goal of 4.2GHz due to the voltage already being a tad higher than I'm comfortable with...

Thanks! :)

Enjoy! Looks like our work here is done

9Jzgg.gif

did we ever see cpu-z screenshots....????
like to see what the rest of the major components look like...
nb,htt,mem timings and freq as well as the spd tab....

did we ever see cpu-z screenshots....????
like to see what the rest of the major components look like...
nb,htt,mem timings and freq as well as the spd tab....

This is my data from before the overclock, only the multiplier and voltages are changed, I set my memory back to the stock 1333mhz to get more bandwith for my CPU OC.
cpu.png

Memor.png

sdp.png

I was planning on doing this with OCCT [linpack] as I've read that P95 is less... powerful?

OCCT is fine for stress testing the CPU and stresses it pretty much like the small FFT test in Prime95. I like the Prime95 blend test the best, however, because its more balanced and stresses the memory subsystem (including the CPU integrated memory controller) better than OCCT or small FFT Prime test.

Looks like you probably still have Cool and Quiet and C1E and maybe Turbo enabled. When overclocking its best to disable these as they can create instability and I think there is also a ceiling on the multiplier with the FX CPUs when Turbo is left enabled. I would disable all these things and then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance.

This is my data from before the overclock, only the multiplier and voltages are changed, I set my memory back to the stock 1333mhz to get more bandwith for my CPU OC.
cpu.png

Memor.png

sdp.png

You might get a little higher core overclock that way but depending on the application, you might actually get poorer overall performance by lowering the ram speed to 1333. The FX CPUs will generally be stable with 1866 mhz ram. The integrated memory controller is stronger than it was in the Phenom IIs.

If your system was freezing, I suspect problem is on PSU. have you checked how much 12.0 C rail was actujally giving while stressing your system? Hwmonitor is best to check this.

Back