• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fanatical

Registered
I currently have two 6970s in crossfire and applied Artic Coolers to them, the two fan version. FurMark 1080p resulted in the top card at 100c and bottom 80c. I only applied cooling on the GPU nit the ram or anything, not sure if it's because the hot air isn't contained and put out the back or if it's just thermal paste, or if it's because I didnt apply the heatsinks.

Any ideas, and how much would water cooling cost for both?

The first card is sucking hot air from the back of the second card. Putting a fan blowing fresh air between the cards should help a bit.

80C is hot and 100C is hot enough to damage an ATI GPU. If you didn't apply heatsinks on the RAM and VRM chips, you need to do that. Especially the VRM's, as they can overheat and kill the cards.

Probably should work on your case airflow as well, and maybe check MSI Afterburner and setup a manual fan profile. Sink the VRM's first unless you like seeing sparks.

I now have 50c idle top card, 35c bottom card. I have two 6970's, any suggestions on thermal pads? I need enough for two. And suggestions on Thermal Paste?

I now have 50c idle top card, 35c bottom card. I have two 6970's, any suggestions on thermal pads? I need enough for two. And suggestions on Thermal Paste?
What coolers are you using? You probably can't use thermal pads if the cooler's not touching the RAM/VRM's. You would need heatsinks and thermal tape. Enzotech makes some nice heatsinks that can be cut down to fit with wire-snips (MOS-C1's for the small VRM chips and their ramsinks for the VRAM). For thermal tape, I usually recommend Sekisui. You can get a ton of it on eBay for next to nothing (some guy in VA sells it in strips of 8-12 for a few bucks), and it works great. Avoid 3M thermal tape as it's unreliable.

You can also buy "VRM-XXX" heatsink kits directly from Arctic (or on eBay, jab-tech, or performance-pcs) that will come with thermal glue. This is easier than thermal tape, but you'll have issues if you need to re-sell the card later or send it for RMA.

When installing the tape+heatsinks (or thermal glue and heatsinks), you'd want to remove the coolers for room, and then clean off the RAM+VRM chips with an eraser and 91% rubbing alcohol. Acetone works too.

TAPE: Then you'd apply the tape to the base of the heatsinks (make sure you've cut them to size so they won't block the cooler, and then seat the heatsinks on the chips. Make sure the heatsinks are not bridging any resistors or other chips. Afterwards, you'd want to use a hairdryer set to high to heat-cycle the heatsinks and tape for a few seconds at a time to make sure they'll stay put.

GLUE: If you're using the Arctic kits & thermal glue, apply the heatsink and let it sit for the recommend time period (ideally overnight). Be extremely careful when setting the heatsinks so you don't bridge any chips or resistors. Heat-cycling isn't necessary with the AC kits and thermal glue.

After the above steps are done, reinstall the coolers with new TIM. I like to use non-conductive TIM for GPU's like AS Ceramique (available at radioshack) or MX4 (available at Amazon, etc).

Ok, I got that tape off eBay. Is it suppose to be a thin film? Do I just put the sticky side down on each heatsink?

Then out of the thermal pastes, which would you prefer to use for my CPU and GPU?

And how many times do I need to put the hairdryer on it, like 10-15 for like 5 second intervals? And do I do this with the heatsink on, or just when the tape is on the heatsinks?

Ok, I got that tape off eBay. Is it suppose to be a thin film? Do I just put the sticky side down on each heatsink?

Then out of the thermal pastes, which would you prefer to use for my CPU and GPU?

And how many times do I need to put the hairdryer on it, like 10-15 for like 5 second intervals? And do I do this with the heatsink on, or just when the tape is on the heatsinks?
You would peel off the paper cover on one side of the tape and attach it to the heatsinks. Make sure the tape is securely placed, and then attach the heatsinks to the VRM/RAM chips. 10-15 x 5times heat-cycle is fine. You would do this when the heatsinks are attached to the videocard's chips.

I'd use MX-4 on both the CPU & GPU if you have it, or Ceramique (you can get it at radioshack) for the GPU, and whatever paste you want to use for the CPU.

E: Sorry for not responding sooner. Have been traveling.

What do you mean, with the heatsink seated or without?

And 10-15 over it 5 times or the other way?

What do you mean, with the heatsink seated or without?

And 10-15 over it 5 times or the other way?

Apply the RAM/VRM heatsinks without the main cooler installed, and then attach the main cooler afterwards.

Just hit the heatsinks for a few seconds on high with the hair dryer (repeat 3x times). It doesn't need to be super-exact, you just want them to warm up and then cool down fast a few times so they'll stick fully.

Back