• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU or PSU bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe88

I was just using my desktop like I usually do just browsing the web and all of the sudden the whole computer just shuts off, I tried to turn it back on but nothing worked, no lights, no sound, just nothing. I feared that the whole pc was fried or something.
So tried to figure out what was wrong, got out my old psu (zumax/topower 550w) and hooked every thing up to it and still nothing. I tried the paper clip test on the tx750 and it was still working so now I removed the gpu (r9 390) and the pc booted on the old psu. So I got my old 4870 out and hooked it up on the old psu first and it posted and booted to windows, everything seemed to be fine, all drives and hardware still working.

Now I hooked everything up to the TX750 with the 4870 installed and it booted up fine but when I replace the 4870 with the 390 I get the same nothing happens when I push the power button. The 4870 uses alot more idle power than the 390 so if the 4870 worked fine on the tx750 than the 390 should work fine too at idle.

So next I tried to use 2 psu's, the tx750 to power everything else but the gfx card and the 550w to power the gfx card (using the paper clip trick), the 550w booted first with psu fan running, no difference from what I can detect on the gpu. Next I turned on the system and the gpu light lit up but no display and instead got 5 beeps.

So in short, neither psu can boot the 390, if you attempt to boot the system with it installed and connected to the psu nothing happens, installed but not connected to the psu the gpu led logo lights up system tries to boot.
With the 4870 installed in the same slot and using the same cables it boots fine on both psu's.

I had the card overclocked for a few days about 2 weeks ago, temps got too high for my liking (94C core, 101C vram) so I reverted it back to stock and temps dont go above 71C core, and 74C vram. I played tf2 for about 2 hours about 5 hours before all this happened but temps were fine and never went above 63C.
The only thing I did different was installed the MSI gaming app to change the card led to have a breathing effect (this was also right before I played tf2).

I tried moving to different pcie slots, installed in an 8x slot with everything including gpu on the tx750, it boots and the card led goes on but gets no signal and got 5 beeps meaning gpu error.

Does anyone know what is going on or is the gpu just fried for some reason?
It seems like the psu is fine as the 4870 installed its powering everything fine so I might have to rma the gpu and of course this happened right outside the 30 day replace period from newegg. :shrug:

Last edited:
Seems like you have already sorted this out by the process of elimination and answered your own question. To me, the problem is obviously the graphics card. Do you have access to another desktop so you can install the GPU in another working computer to confirm this?

trents is right, it's the gpu.
I keep a wonderful, old, cheap 5450 around for times just like this, not even a power connector needed.

Yep, definitely sounds like it's the GPU since the system works with only that swapped and the issue exists on two different PSU's.

Tried it in a different system and its just ignoring the gfx card and booting the igp instead even after I told it to display on pci-e first, tried every slot in my original board and still the same no display with 5 beeps, looks like its dead. The card just isnt receiving power anymore by the looks of it. I submitted a tech support ticket on msi website and hopefully they accept it soon because it looks like at least 2 weeks+ to get it replaced, at least I have the 4870 as a backup and can play some games.

Back