• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Grizzly Conductonaut at 0 Ambient

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atomic_Sheep

Grizzly Conductonaut in the specs suggests temperature ranges of 8C and bove. What happens if the ambient temperature is 0? Are you going to fine starting up a computer if the compound is semi-frozen?

EDIT: Is it even worth getting this stuff?

Last edited:
I doubt it will ever go below 0. It just gets to 0 at night but I assume the whole thing would have enough time to cool down to that temp.

Last edited:
Are you benchmarking or something? Why do we have the windows open enough to get a room to 0c?.?

Typically liquid metals aren't suitable or extreme cooling but with cool ambients like that I really can't see it being an issue unless you were trying to apply it at that temperature then it could be a problem. Either way the CPU will be above 0°C as soon as you turn it on.
The advantages of liquid metal solutions such as that are their excellent thermal transfer properties. But they are conductors so the application needs to be very tidy.

Are you benchmarking or something? Why do we have the windows open enough to get a room to 0c?.?

Just sleep with the windows open, used to it. I mean like in the morning when you get up, before there's a chance for the room to warm up, you go on to turn on your computer for the first time and it's at close to 0 temps.

Typically liquid metals aren't suitable or extreme cooling but with cool ambients like that I really can't see it being an issue unless you were trying to apply it at that temperature then it could be a problem. Either way the CPU will be above 0°C as soon as you turn it on.
The advantages of liquid metal solutions such as that are their excellent thermal transfer properties. But they are conductors so the application needs to be very tidy.

I found someone who tested what happens to liquid metals at -7C. It wasn't frozen, so that's a good start. I think you might be right. Probably nothing to worry about.

Seriously, you regularly sleep in a room in which temps drop to zero degrees...and live to tell about it?

Yup. I grew up 20 minutes west of Ft. Lauderdale in an area commonly referred to as The Everglades. 90F and 90% humidity.

Small world...I actually grew up in one of those small towns that borders the "Big Water", about 90 miles north of Miami on US27.

Clewiston? Okeechobee? La Belle? Belle Glade? There's a few of them up there by the lake. Or Naples, Port Charlotte, etc. on the Gulf side. My oldest friend lives in Port Charlotte now (retired Navy). LOL I was in west Broward before Merv Griffin built Bonaventure and Andytown was the last gasp 'till Ft. Myers. SR 84 was two lanes past our place (136th Ave.) Key Groves had an orange grove across 136th Ave from us. Heck, Broward Blvd. stopped a few miles east of where we lived. :D

Last edited:
America's Sweetest Town would be the one. :)

Temps won't ever be zero degrees there unless you've just opened up your freezer to get some beef out for the weekend cookout.

Under a blanket it's warm. Just the face is showing ;).

P.S. I found some Noctua NH-1 I think it is (in my box of computer parts), and after reading reviews, it seems like good thermal paste. I'll just use that for now.

Last edited:
America's Sweetest Town would be the one. :)

Temps won't ever be zero degrees there unless you've just opened up your freezer to get some beef out for the weekend cookout.

My father was the service rep for the local Caterpillar dealer for many years. His time was divided between Clewiston and the West Palm store. Surprising just how small the world gets sometimes.

I found some Noctua NH-1 I think it is (in my box of computer parts), and after reading reviews, it seems like good thermal past
Should be fine, but with your temps peanut butter would probably work. :D

Peanut butter is not an option, it is Australia after all. Does get to 40+ during summer.

If you have noctua nh-1 you should be in good shape. That will perform about as well as any high end paste and only a free degrees behind the liquid metal pastes.

Where I live it routinely hits -30c in the winter, usually feels like -40c or more with any kind of wind, so it doesn't take long to cool a pc, especially if its near a window :D In the summer its a different story where it routinely hits the 20s and 30s, which is gross with the humidity, where it feels like the 40s.

Does any one still use AS5? I still swear by that stuff lol. I haven't used the tube that came with my new Thermalright, but I'm thinking of trying it out this weekend. My AS5 is fiver years old, but it looked like it was in good shape still.. But I still want to experiment either way..

Where I live it routinely hits -30c in the winter, usually feels like -40c or more with any kind of wind, so it doesn't take long to cool a pc, especially if its near a window :D In the summer its a different story where it routinely hits the 20s and 30s, which is gross with the humidity, where it feels like the 40s.

Does any one still use AS5? I still swear by that stuff lol. I haven't used the tube that came with my new Thermalright, but I'm thinking of trying it out this weekend. My AS5 is fiver years old, but it looked like it was in good shape still.. But I still want to experiment either way..

People do still use it, heck I have a tube around somewhere. It is just no longer the go to paste as the cost of similar or better non conductive pastes are the same as AS5. As the performance of AS5 is no better than alternatives and it saves you no money I tend to avoid recommending it based on the fact that it is conductive capacitive and could potentially cause a problem. Secondarily to this AS5 does require a burn in for full performance so some people freak out when their system is not performing as well as expected right of the bat as they are not waiting for the final temp results after burn in.

Last edited:
Back