• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GSkill DDR4 2800mhz 32gb XMP not working ... anymore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d3n1s_47

Registered
Hi everyone

My system info is in my sig. Basically when i put it all together i enabled XMP which changed the bclk to 127.3mhz and i adjusted the multiplier to 33 for roughly 4.2ghz. Everything worked fine for a few weeks, absolutely no issue. Then all of a sudden my PC won't even boot anymore! I disabled XMP and set the multiplier to 42 with the same CPU voltage and everything works fine?!

I tried messing with the ram voltage (i set it to 1.25 instead of 1.2) and still no boot. I tried setting the System Agent voltage to 1.1 (1.2 turned red) and that didn't work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i paid for all these megahertz! :p

Thanks

I just saw my BIOS was not the latest one, i updated it to the latest one and still i'm having the same problem. I will try manually setting the RAM speed lower after enabling XMP (or otherwise just set the BCLK manually to 127.34 and the RAM speed to 2133) to see if maybe the RAM itself is not the problem.

well i tried booting with the BCLK at 127.34 and it refuses to boot. I'm confused now... Is my 570$ motherboard becoming a piece of junk?

alright so SOME good news at least. I decided to ignore XMP, leave the BCLK at 100 and manually set the frequency to 2666mhz and it works perfectly. I read somewhere that some boards did not like 2800mhz RAM so mine may have stopped liking it after a while? lol in any case if you have any info to clarify all this that would be great, i'm happy with 2666 for now.

ok so i looked around some more and found some people were overvolting their DDR4 at 1.35v (this voltage being the safest recommended for DDR4 by Intel themselves). Leaving my BCLK at 100, i set my RAM to 3200mhz, DRAM voltage at 1.35v and left the timings to their regular values (16-16-16-36). Not only does it boot but i just ran 8 instances of memtest at 2gb each for an hour with no errors whatsoever. Also, i was able to boot and use my system with the speed at 2666, timings of 14-14-14-32 and DRAM voltage of 1.25 (did not run any testing but i'm sure it would work fine). I understand the lower timings probably make a bigger impact than the frequency i managed to squeeze out of them from what i have read.

Basically, from my experience tonight, my board hates anything else than 100 for BCLK but i am actually able to achieve more with sticking to 100.

Any feedback on my experience would be appreciated, sorry this thread is literally all over the place lol.

Sorry to necro this thread but I have a near identical setup with the same issues. MSI Godlike X99A/5930K/4x8GB GSkill DDR4 2800/GTX 980 Ti.

I have just come to a similar conclusion as you but stopped short of OCing the memory to 3200Mhz.

At first I enabled XMP and it ran at 2800mhz for a few weeks with all volts at auto then for whatever reason it wouldn't start with those settings.

MSI wasn't much help, they just asked me to RMA the board which would be a huge inconvenience. GSkill suggested I up some voltages.

I adjusted voltages and tried all kinds of OC configs before stumbling upon the same route you took:

No XMP, no BCLK adjustment, increased voltages.

My CPU is at 1.33v, SA is at 1.21. Other than that it's all auto. I had tried adding voltage to the memory but that didn't do the trick to get it stable at 2800. Hopefully, like you, I can get 3200 stable as 2666 is fine for me as well.

It took a lot of trial and error to get it here but this seems stable @ 2666 so I'll be content if I can't get 3200. It went for 5 hours in AIDA64.

I bought a set of Patriot Viper 2x8GB DDR4 2800 but haven't thrown them in yet.

Is your system still running well at those settings? I will let you know if different RAM has any bearing on the issue.

On all X99 boards you shouldn't need more than ~1.1V VCCSA up to 3200. If real SA voltage is lower than what you set in BIOS then maybe up to 1.15V but in most cases 1.0V is enough for everything and bumping SA isn't helping in stability. You may only degrade memory controller faster.

I guess it's the same on all X99 boards after longer work. New boards make 3200-3400 pretty stable. After some time are starting problems with memory recognizing at higher frequency ( up to 2666 all runs stable at everything auto and stock voltages ). I had the same on 3 boards ( ASUS, MSI and ASRock ). The only one which still works without issues with all memory kits is ASRock X99M Killer.
There are also many X99 users who are complaining at missing 1 memory channel or similar issues at higher memory frequency. The same was on many X58 and X79 boards after longer work. Intel failed something in every available enthusiast series chipset in last 6-7 years. They should keep longer internal tests like it was in the past.

On all X99 boards you shouldn't need more than ~1.1V VCCSA up to 3200. If real SA voltage is lower than what you set in BIOS then maybe up to 1.15V but in most cases 1.0V is enough for everything and bumping SA isn't helping in stability. You may only degrade memory controller faster.

I guess it's the same on all X99 boards after longer work. New boards make 3200-3400 pretty stable. After some time are starting problems with memory recognizing at higher frequency ( up to 2666 all runs stable at everything auto and stock voltages ). I had the same on 3 boards ( ASUS, MSI and ASRock ). The only one which still works without issues with all memory kits is ASRock X99M Killer.
There are also many X99 users who are complaining at missing 1 memory channel or similar issues at higher memory frequency. The same was on many X58 and X79 boards after longer work. Intel failed something in every available enthusiast series chipset in last 6-7 years. They should keep longer internal tests like it was in the past.

I set all the voltages back to auto except the CPU which I upped to 1.34 after a test failed a few minutes in @ 1.33.

AIDA64 ran for 8.5 hours with no errors.

I just played video games for a few hours while streaming a football game and using voice chat with no crashes or issues either.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm all set!

I just wasn't sure if it was a defect worth RMAing my motherboard over. Doesn't seem like it.

While AIDA64 ran fine for 8.5 hours, video games did not.

I crashed while playing both Diablo III and Smite.

I'd have one "soft" crash that caused the game to stop working and then a major PC crash shortly after each time.

I brought my CPU voltage down to 1.3 and upped my RAM voltage to 1.4 after reading most people are fine @ 1.2-1.3 on these CPUs but that most of them are adding voltage to their RAM. I had mine set to stock.

I believe it was the RAM because I haven't had any issues with games any more. I need to try broadcasting to twitch - something I haven't done with the new OC settings.

I have just got the recent MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon and I have the same problem. My Kingston Hyper X 2800 has two profiles 2666 at low latency 14 and 2800 at 15 and the only profile which works is 2666. It's quite disappointing because when I select Profile 2800 it changes the blk clock ratio which results in my machine not booting. I also tried the Corsair's Dominators 3000 and again the clock ratio changes to 127 so no boot. It looks to me that 2800 and 3000 don't seem to be fully supported. Managed to squeeze the 3200 in the Dominators but was affected with worse performance than having my Hyper X at 2666.

Back