• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTA IV Complete Edition: can't mod .dat files anymore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Whenever I try to mod the .dat files (say for a greater view distance) the .dat files are overwritten before the game even starts despite the fact I set them read-only.
Where does the game executable or dll's get the necessary rights to change the read-only bit? What's even more bizarre is I don't have the option to take ownership of the files in question.

What if I change the permissions for the file so that everyone else except my (administrator account) username only has read and read & execute permissions? Would that stop Rockstar from butting in where they're not wanted?

None of the core .dat files or stream.ini can be modified in GTAV, it merely overwrites them when you load the game -- regardless of whether or not they're set read-only.

Why Rock* would care if people mod these files for a 13-year-old game is beyond me.

Did you follow the instructions in the link above? People in the thread are saying it works... :shrug:

Back