• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gts or gtx?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
as the title says, its time to go 8800 flavoured, but im not sure i can stomach the £££ for the 8800gtx.
I game at 1600x1200, and play a wide mix of games - from bf2142, oblivion, fear, hl2 to things like Dawn of War...

sooo, will an 8800gts cut it at 1600x1200 in those games with settings at max? I only ask cos for the cost of the 8800gtx over here I can buy an 8800gts and the new motherboard I want (p5b-dlx) with cash left over!!! BUT if the gts isnt gonna make the grade I can possibly scrape the extra...its really gonna have to be worth it tho.
How does the 8800gts clock? il be aircooled as i doubt my pa120.2 will cope with a pentiumD (soon to be conroe) AND a gts....
Can a gts catch up a gtx in terms of fps?

Vrykyl said:
How does the 8800gts clock? il be aircooled as i doubt my pa120.2 will cope with a pentiumD (soon to be conroe) AND a gts....
Can a gts catch up a gtx in terms of fps?
Pa120.2 should handle heat. My 8800gtx doesn't run much hoter than my last card 1800xt with watercooling. Idle and load are close.

Last edited:
I would say judging by the rig in your sig (and I do not mean this in any offensive way) you are not worried about staying cutting edge. You have a decent rig, but didnt jump on the conroe bandwagon etc etc, so you probably dont care about the ePenis of the GTX.

So with that taken out of the equation, look at your monitor. You have a20" LCD. Unless you are planning on going much larger in the next year, I would not worry about the GTX. I doubt that you will be able to see any difference between the 2 cards at your max resolution. Benchmark wise maybe... and thats the third factor the benchmarking. GTX will score more 3dMark points then the GTS. (not worth an extra 250 dolalrs to me, but hey I dont bench I OC to get more real world performance). For gaming, I would just get the GTS.

This is JMHO though.

:D its nice to be near the cutting edge sometimes tho ;)
To be truthful i got tired of getting burned by brand new cpus/chipsets....so with conroe iv sat back and waited for a few good boards to come out first...
think itl have to be the gts then, been looking at the gtx prices futher and theyre just stupid... i hope by the time the gts doesnt have th grunt theyl be a 9900 or something daft! :p

so hows the overclockability on the gts cards? can they catch a gts fps wise? iv been looking at reviews and the gtx is often like 20fps ahead of the gts at 1600x1200... :/

I have the GTS and at 675/1900 nothing can touch me. I pull almost 10k (9940) in 3Dmark06, which isn't too shabby for a non-conroe processor.

have looked good and hard and its going to have to be a gts - curse you nvidia for your ridiculously high prices!!! and darn ati for having nothing that compares :/

yup, il be picking up a 'PALIT' (aka Gainward) 8800gts @ £243 GBP...for £3 extra I could get an xfx one, but i figure that as palit sell only one model of the gts i have a better chance of getting a good overclocker, as its always been my experience with xfx cards that the lowest of their range is usually crappy as they cream of cores for their xxx models :/

Vrykyl said:
yup, il be picking up a 'PALIT' (aka Gainward) 8800gts @ £243 GBP...for £3 extra I could get an xfx one, but i figure that as palit sell only one model of the gts i have a better chance of getting a good overclocker, as its always been my experience with xfx cards that the lowest of their range is usually crappy as they cream of cores for their xxx models :/
Same thoughts here on overclocking options... we're of the same mind, just different continents!

Vrykyl said:

you know, most the overclocks that people have posted are crazy. i dont think anyone posted a crappy overclock. i know my eVGA 8800gts can bench @ 660/2002. these cards have really good heatsinks on them imho. :)

Having a slot cooler or something to the same effect taking the heat from under the card and pushing it out really helps the temps on these, I haven't seen my card go over 62C at 675/900 yet after hours and hours of gaming.

Back