• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 1070 performance (general questions)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

Right out of the box my 1070 on the OC setting runs at 2000mhz core/4004mhz memory at a max temp of 71° during gaming according to hwmonitor.
For monitors, I'm gaming on a dvi-d 27" 1440p @ 110hz and have a secondary monitor (i think it's a 22" 1050p resolution) running off hdmi that is just for monitoring programs like cpuz, hwmonitor, gigabyte xtreme engine, etc.
With every setting turned up to the highest it goes, i average about 60fps on modern games. So, a couple questions:
1. Does this seem on par with what I should be getting?
2. Is having the second monitor causing any performance decreases?

I'm coming from a HD 7950, so being able to turn everything up is awesome but what did people do before this card that supposedly outdoes everything before it? Were you just not able to run max settings on 1440p before with a single card?
No complaints so far, but if I'm already maxing the card out to get 60fps I wonder how long before I'll need a second to keep up?

I think that you are seeing good numbers for that card. The short answer is that the second monitor is taking cycles away from your gaming but being 2D, I'm not sure that it is that much of a difference.

I can say that prior to these cards, we used much more power hungry setups and had to play with settings to balance detail with fps. Don't despair though, game makers will up the ante and create media that will make your 1070 cry.

1. Who knows... "Modern Games" could mean anything... its impossible to judge without knowing the game and the settings. That said, look up reviews on your card and see comparisons with games you have. Ours is on the front page, or goo look at techpowerup. The MSI Gaming X 1070 is a great head to head comparison
2. Not much at all, if any.

980Ti easily ran 1440p (its as fast as a 1070 so..................makes sense). 980 also could run 1440p fine.. 390x to Fury can run it well too...below that, you adjust settings. Same as was done each prior generation really.

We always want more... but, there isn't a reason you need more than a 1070 at 1440p... Outside of Crysis and a couple other titles, you are going to be WELL above 60 FPS in most "modern" titles.

Jeff, are you maxing out AA or are you keeping it low (2x or FXAA, etc?) Generally at 1440p any AA is largely unnecessary, especially over 2x as it uses a ton of memory and processing power for [generally] very little image quality improvement.

One more question for you - The frame rates on the articles here, what is used to capture them? I want to make sure I'm capturing mine apples-to-apples when comparing them (or are they all pretty much the same?)
Most titles have in game benchmarks and it will show you after the test runs. Others, like BF4 and Crysis, are manual run throughs and they are captured with a program called FRAPS.

In the articles, we link to our GPU testing procedure...http://www.overclockers.com/overclockers-gpu-testing-procedures

We have not updated it for the latest titles, but will do so soon. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I put every setting, AA included, at it's absolute maximum setting. I could drop it down a notch to see if it makes a difference in FPS if it's really not giving me much better quality.
Oy.. yeah.. wow.. Don't do that, LOL!

2xAA to 4xAA is fine at 1440p. Just run ultra defaults.. that would help a lot.

What am I missing? 60 fps is awesome is it not?

60 is fine, but if your monitor is running at a higher refresh (his is 110hz) then it s below what it would be capable of running without tearing.

Back