• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 1080 Ti with my motherboard / CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OldBay

Hi i have a
Motherboard ASRock 970A-G 3.1

CPU AMD FX 6300

RAM DDR3 1866 G.Skill RipJaws 8GB

PICE 2.0 x16

Current GPU MSI GTX 1050 Ti OC

basically i want to know if the 1080 Ti will work with my current set up.

If you’re planning to upgrade the rest of the setup yes, if not personally I wouldn’t unless you got a bargain. Your CPU barely keeps up with a 1060 let alone a 1080ti, that is, you will see much better FPS but it will always be a heavy bottleneck (nowhere near what it could do with a Ryzen or an Intel CPU) :(

If you’re planning to upgrade the rest of the setup yes, if not personally I wouldn’t unless you got a bargain. Your CPU barely keeps up with a 1060 let alone a 1080ti, that is, you will see much better FPS but it will always be a heavy bottleneck (nowhere near what it could do with a Ryzen or an Intel CPU) :(
would my motherboard work on a Ryzen CPU?

You would need new memory, CPU and motherboard sorry. You can buy it anyway and then save up for a new system, just keep in mind that the 1080ti wont be used to its full potencial :)

It will work, however that cpu will choke the gpu/not used to its potential. Id rather step down to a 1080 and upgrade cpu/mobo/ram.

It will work, however that cpu will choke the gpu/not used to its potential. Id rather step down to a 1080 and upgrade cpu/mobo/ram.

That's the way to go IMO. Even drop a bit more to a 1070 Ti. You can get a Ryzen 5 1600 + motherboard combo for under $250 at Microcenter and then add 8 GB DDR4-3000 for $100 more or 16 GB for $200 more.

Back