• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 280 TIM Replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Junglebizz

Hey guys, I recently got a smokin deal on a used GTX 280 OC to replace my 8800 GTS that I have had for years. One thing I noticed while running this card is that it does get quite hot compared to my old card, not 100C like some people have had with their 280's, but still around 84C under load after half an hour.

I was wondering if replacing the TIM on the card would make much of a difference. I have some MX-2 and would consider picking up some MX-4 to use on it instead (might as well have the best!).

From what I have seen online, you don't want to remove the pads that make contact with the ram chips so I am only really concerned with the chip.

Has anyone done this? What kind of results have you had? It would be nice to get it below 80C so that I can turn the fan down. It was running somewhere around 75% to keep it stable at 84C and even that is too loud for me (Note: This was with the card overclocked even more to 635 core, 2302 memory and 1391 shader)

Replacing the TIM and cleaning it out will have it's benefits, but it's not likely to be night and day. You'll probably be below 80C, but by how much depends on quite a few factors. That card has software adjustable voltage, you haven't increased that have you?

Replacing the TIM and cleaning it out will have it's benefits, but it's not likely to be night and day. You'll probably be below 80C, but by how much depends on quite a few factors.

Well, i'm already going to move one of my hard drives to give the front 120mm fan more airflow. I have a side intake fan right above the card and I have a rear 120mm exhaust fan. The room the computer stays in is generally quite cool as well.

Well, i'm already going to move one of my hard drives to give the front 120mm fan more airflow. I have a side intake fan right above the card and I have a rear 120mm exhaust fan. The room the computer stays in is generally quite cool as well.

Sounds like you're giving it the best possible thermal environment, might as well throw some fresh TIM on there and give it a fresh start :thup:

Sounds like you're giving it the best possible thermal environment, might as well throw some fresh TIM on there and give it a fresh start :thup:

Are there any downsides to reusing those thermal pads that contact the ram? Looks like nvidia cards have used them for years and I haven't found anything suggesting that cooling performance increases if you replace them at all.

Are there any downsides to reusing those thermal pads that contact the ram? Looks like nvidia cards have used them for years and I haven't found anything suggesting that cooling performance increases if you replace them at all.

I usually try and reuse them if just replacing the TIM. As long as you're careful when removing the HSF as to not damage any of them. After a period of time they will just fall apart when you try to remove them, at that point you definitely need to replace them.
The pads on my GTX 260's were still good last I looked, but the 8800GTX that I just took apart recently were complete trash afterwards... good thing it was going sub-zero and didn't need them anymore ;)

I usually try and reuse them if just replacing the TIM. As long as you're careful when removing the HSF as to not damage any of them. After a period of time they will just fall apart when you try to remove them, at that point you definitely need to replace them.
The pads on my GTX 260's were still good last I looked, but the 8800GTX that I just took apart recently were complete trash afterwards... good thing it was going sub-zero and didn't need them anymore ;)

Well, when i get some time, I will see what I can do for this gtx 280!

Any recommendations above MX-4 TIM?

I've never used it personally, but I hear it's pretty good stuff. I still stick with AS5

I've never used it personally, but I hear it's pretty good stuff. I still stick with AS5

I ran out of that years ago, yet i still have some AS3!

I've already been through 3 tubes of MX-2. I just hope MX-4 isn't as sticky. I've had a few cpu's get pulled from the socket stuck to the heat sink. I hope the MX-4 is better.

Hey guys, I recently got a smokin deal on a used GTX 280 OC to replace my 8800 GTS that I have had for years. One thing I noticed while running this card is that it does get quite hot compared to my old card, not 100C like some people have had with their 280's, but still around 84C under load after half an hour.

I was wondering if replacing the TIM on the card would make much of a difference. I have some MX-2 and would consider picking up some MX-4 to use on it instead (might as well have the best!).

From what I have seen online, you don't want to remove the pads that make contact with the ram chips so I am only really concerned with the chip.

Has anyone done this? What kind of results have you had? It would be nice to get it below 80C so that I can turn the fan down. It was running somewhere around 75% to keep it stable at 84C and even that is too loud for me (Note: This was with the card overclocked even more to 635 core, 2302 memory and 1391 shader)

as a previous owner of an 8800gts, you should have used to that temps:D

yeah replacing TIM will have its own benefit. And be sure to clean up the heatsink while you pop up your GFX, dust are often block the airflow (especially for the GFX with shroud)

Last edited:
I found that reducing the voltage on my GTX280 by 1-tick actually helped to get a higher stable OC...and reduced temps. Something to try if you haven't already.

MX-4 or MX-2 should work well, but as said don't expect miracles. Getting the TIM right using the stock HSF can be tough sometimes b/c it's harder to get the HS locked down with as much pressure as you can on CPUs.

I went w/ an after market cooler on my GTX280, the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme GTX280, and it helped immensely w/ temps, and noise.

As for the thermal RAM pads the biggest issue I've run into is that they become a magnet for dust & hair. So, once they are exposed you want to be careful to keep them clean. If I have to leave them exposed for any length of time, I like to put little pieces of wax paper on them for protection.

Back