• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 570 causes shutdown over 1.013 mV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

foreverstorm

I have been looking for quite some time to a solution to this problem, but can't find anyone having this same problem;

If I use a voltage higher than 1.013 mV on my GTX 570 the computer will shutdown eventually. At 1.063 mV this happens very quickly and predictably, before the card goes over 65 deg. At shutdown the fans will roar, and the computer may either turn off or restart into windows, though I always have to actually power the computer off first so that the video card actually lets me see anything on the screen on reboot.

I generally use a core clock of 863 MHz and memory clock of 2000 MHz in MSI Afterburner. I have tried to 'force constant voltage' as well to no avail.

Interestingly, I have noticed that between 1.025 mV and 1.050 mV, while the crashes occur after a random amount of play time (the card is no hotter than 78 deg though), it is much more frequent in ice areas of Borderlands 2, the map of Skyrim and when BF3 is at low res. i.e., when the GPU itself is under low usage. At a higher usage (all game settings on max), at the lower end of this voltage range the computer is generally very stable. Kombustor also shows high stability.

People frequently suffer the Skyrim map and Borderlands 2 shutdown scenario, particularly with cards like the GTX 560 Ti.

I have reapplied thermal paste to the GPU, which has helped marginally with temperature, but this has had little effect (and I have stripped the head of the screw accidentally as it is very soft, and can no longer remove the screw).

I have thought this may be a PSU issue, but the +12v rail is supplied with 48A, which should be sufficient, and unplugging all cards and drives doesn't help. Neither does removing hyper-threading and my CPU's OC.

So am I screwed, and can't expect to clock higher than ~860 MHz? Or is there something I'm missing, like it really could be the PSU after all?

Thanks!

System:
Motherboard - Asus P8Z68 Gen3 OC@103 MHz BCLK
HD - Raid 0 Seagate Barracuda 2 TB x2 + Smart Response OCZ Agility 128 GB
Ram - Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) Vengeance 1600 MHz
CPU - Intel SB-E 2600K OC@4635 MHz, 45 multi, vcore+.08v, LLC High
Video Card - GTX 570 1280MB GV-N570OC-13I (rev. 2.0)
Sound Card - Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply - Thermaltake Evo Blue Modular 650 W, Active PFC
Cooling - CCooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Case - NZXT Phantom
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate

Have you tried a different driver? Put your CPU to stock and see if it still happens?

Have you tried a different driver? Put your CPU to stock and see if it still happens?

Yeah, thanks but this has been happening since I started OC'ing - so the last 6 months and I've been through a few driver revisions. When I was trying to see if it was a PSU problem I disconnected a spare HDD, the SSD, the sound card a couple of case fans (leaving the case open while testing anyway) and disabled OC and HT. Same result.

Id return the card if you can. I had an Asus 570 that let you select up to 1.2v, tho I didnt feel the need to take it past 1.1v. If it cant feed 1.1v reliable, then to me the card is bunk, and could be a liability later on.

Yeah, thanks but this has been happening since I started OC'ing - so the last 6 months and I've been through a few driver revisions. When I was trying to see if it was a PSU problem I disconnected a spare HDD, the SSD, the sound card a couple of case fans (leaving the case open while testing anyway) and disabled OC and HT. Same result.

I don't know if they will accept an RMA with a stripped screw head for the heat sink to board attachment...

Back