• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t_wis

Registered
Hello ALL!

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read this and I just want to start off by apologizing ahead of time on the strong possibility that I may be posting this thread in the wrong area. If this is the case, then I encourage any guidance as to what I should do next time and would also encourage a moderator to move the thread to its proper placement.

Although, I'am new to the forum here as of a few minutes ago, I am not new to the website, as I use it for much needed insight on a regular basis.:D

I am the definition of a "newb" to the PC building community as I have just finished with my first gaming PC build ever about a week ago. After 6 months of research, a slight case of OCD, and a kick in my nuzz to my bank account, I built a rig that I am happy with.

I apologize for the intro but my question is in regards to my gpu. I have a GTX 680 TOP card that I ordered from amazon. After some research, I decided that I would put the card through some stability test now that I have installed all the latest drivers from the nvidia website directly and optimized the rest of my PC. After some more research, I then decided to start out with the well known Unigine Heaven 4.0 software and run some circles with that. Installation was smooth and I fired it up.

I didn't change any of the settings for the card as I figured I'd see how it did from the factory already being overclocked to 1201 MHz. In other words, kept the default settings in GPUTweak for this test which are:

GPU Settings
GPU Boost Clock = 1201MHz
Min. GPU Voltage = 987mV
Memory Clock = 6008 MHz
Fan Speed on Auto starting at 20%
Power Target 100%

PC
MOBO: ASUS Maximus V Extreme
CPU: I7-3770k (Ivy Bridge)
PSU: Corsair 860i
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr3-2133
Cooler: Corsair 110

Before it ran through the Unigine Heaven cycle one time the screen went black. The music continued to play through my headset in the background, but I couldn't do anything. Then the toolbar from my desktop popped up and I could see my mouse cursor only on the toolbar. I did the typical control/alt/delete and signed off. it went to my log in screen and everything seemed back to normal.

I thought there may have been a software issue so I unistalled Unigine Heaven and reinstalled. I then turned my fan speed up to full, and re-ran Heaven. Same result. My GPU never reached more than 63 degrees Celsius.

Do I have a bad card? Is this a typical crash? Is this a Windows 8 compatability thing? Is this a newb thing? I'd hate to have to send this card back over stupidity on my part. Someone PLEASE HELP!

Have you tried any other game play or game benchmarks? If not, they try some different ones and see if everything else does ok. If you find that to be the case, then it may very well be simply a Unigine/Win8 issue.

Have you tried any other game play or game benchmarks? If not, they try some different ones and see if everything else does ok. If you find that to be the case, then it may very well be simply a Unigine/Win8 issue.

Thanks for the quick reply.:D I'll try something else. Any other stress test that you can recommend? I unfortunately don't have any high demanding games at the moment. That's part of the reason I built this rig. I'm thinking maybe furmark?

If you find that to be the case, then it may very well be simply a Unigine/Win8 issue.

I' using Win 8 and Heaven works fine for me. Do you have MSI Afterburner installed? I found that it doesn't like Win8.
Maybe try a different driver. I'm using the 314.21 betas and haven't had any issues.
And for games Far cry 3 will kick the bejeebus out of your card when it's cranked way up.

Last edited:
Give this a try..
And welcome to the forums:)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmark11/download/

Thanks! Ill give this a try today.

I' using Win 8 and Heaven works fine for me. Do you have MSI Afterburner installed? I found that it doesn't like Win8.
Maybe try a different driver. I'm using the 314.21 betas and haven't had any issues.
And for games Far cry 3 will kick the bejeebus out of your card when it's cranked way up.

I did end up trying Furmark out and it went through two back-to-back 15 min burn ins. So I'm beginning to think that maybe it is a heaven/windows 8 issue. I'm not sure what you mean by MSI Afterburner? You have to remember this is all new to me. :confused: I installed the newest version of Heaven labeled "4.0." Are you suggesting I use an older version?

Thanks for all the help guys! I really do appreciate it. :thup:

No that's the version I used. MSI afterburner is GPU overclocking software . It made my machine all squirrly when I installed it. I was also using the drivers listed above when I ran Unigine.

Thanks! Ill give this a try today.

I did end up trying Furmark out and it went through two back-to-back 15 min burn ins. So I'm beginning to think that maybe it is a heaven/windows 8 issue. I'm not sure what you mean by MSI Afterburner? You have to remember this is all new to me. :confused: I installed the newest version of Heaven labeled "4.0." Are you suggesting I use an older version?

Thanks for all the help guys! I really do appreciate it. :thup:

That is one heck of a video card you have,I have 2 660 versions from Asus and they are kick *** cards..

Is your laptop a gaming laptop that you've tried running Unigine Heaven on wingman?

I play World of Tanks a lot so the new 314.22 is out for me..Seems WoT has a problem running 600 series card and also with SLI so I am forced to use the older 306.97 drivers:(

I just played Unigine Heaven on my laptop and it plays fine.

That tells me it either has something to do with my cards stability or my cards driver compatibility. :confused: I don't see why all the other stress test I've ran don't have an issue... Why would my screen black out before one cycle?

4.0 Unigine Heaven and my laptop has nvidia video.

Did you try the updated drivers? If you have I think your video card is bad.

Back