• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX570 GS GLH heatsink issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomNewdelhi

Registered
Hi guys,

I recently took a waterblock off of my Gainward GTX570 GS and went to put it back to the stock air cooler to sell on.

So i did, reapplied the thermal paste etc and put all the original screws in etc (and attached the fans)

I put it in my machine and fired up windows. No issues.

Ran a game for a bit and within minutes the temps were way up in the 80's and the onboard fans went mental.

I decided to take the heatsink off to check everything and noticed that although the screws are in property and tight enough, it appears that the GPU isnt making contact with the copper plate of the heatsink (i know this as there is no marks in the thermal paste.

Ive not modified the card or stock cooler and am using the stock screws. The termal pads are in place on the cooler also.

Has anyone encountered this problem or had anything similar as i cant sell it in this condition as it starts to sweat after a few seconds of activity!

Any advice would be grand.

Cheers Guys!

Last edited:
You didn't have different thermal tape on there than when air cooled? Did a piece of thermal tape get folded over when you put it back on? Are you using the right screws in the right holes? same lenght?

Nope its all the same stuff. No after market or anything.

Ill have another go but it just seems like theres a few mm gap. The tiniest part of the corner touches but thats it.

Ok so i put a little more paste on and pressed the cooler on. It spread so there is contact.

I fired up and ran guild wars 2 at max everything. According to gpuz its been sitting around 80 degrees after a few minutes. Is this too hot or is that normal for a single gpu?

Ill run Furmark tonight when i get home from work.

My idle temps are 40's and 99% load is up as far as 87 (from running guild wars 2)

Not sure what my ambient room temp is but it does get hot up there. Ive not noticed the fan really going for it like it does now.

How much thermal paste does a GPU need as its bigger than a cpu? i stuck it on quite thin.

is mid 80's acceptable for aircooled 570?

I put the standard blob in the middle and a teeny blob on each of the corners sorta. An X would work. You wan't know how good your paste application is is till you open it up and see how good you did.

Back