• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide to a simple water cooling system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shroomer

member with no avatar
People have been asking about kits a lot lately. While kits have thier place, I'm here to show you that it's not that hard to put the pieces together yourself.

Part 1: Hardware Choices

There are not that many parts to a water cooler. This is not intended as "these are the only parts to pick from." Rather, I want to give a few examples of each and why it is popular. There are many more items to choose from. You can't go wrong with most of these, though.

It is important to be careful about ordering all of the fittings the same size. Most people around here use 1/2" I.D. (inside diameter) hose, so that meas we need 1/2" fittings.

The Waterblock: The main heat transfer point. Since the CPU die has been getting smaller and smaller, smarter design has been needed in this department.

Swiftech MCW5000 : This block is built to be universal to both AMD and Intel. It can be used if your motherboard doesn't have mounting holes and is a good performer.
Danger Den Maze4 : This series of blocks has been the leader of the bang for buck category. It has an adaptor that can be used for socket mounting, but is mostly considered for through-hole mounting. Performance similar to the Swiftech.
White Water : This block is one of the performance leaders. Beaten only by the Cascade , this block will undoubtedly keep your CPU cool at high voltage. One disadvantage to this block is that it uses a 3 barb system (the cascade is 2 barb). While it's part of what makes it a top performer, it's inconvenient to use a "y" splitter to combine the outlets back to one for the return trip. This is a through-hole mount block and can be adapted for Intel use.

Radiators: This is what cools the water. While a very tiny rad is no longer very useful, there are many options to choose from here. The important part of any rad is to make sure to shroud it.

Heater core: This is the most commonly used heater core. It's a 6"x6"x2" unit that could be out of a Chevy Chevette or various Ford vehicles. A lot of stores sell these pre-moded for PC use and that's as deep as I'll go into it for now.
Black Ice Extreme: This product, while having lower performance than a heater core will fit many more locations. It's still wise to shroud these, but not as necessary as a small one is built in.

Pumps: These obviously pump the water through the system. Usually a given block will perform better with more flow up to a point where pump heat combined with CPU heat overloads the Rad. Here are some popular choices:

Mag Drive 3: This is a popular pump because of it's head rating. Basically it will pump more water through a more restrictive system. It is however plagued by leaking impeler chambers that can be fixed with a little silicone.
Eheim 1048 & 1250: These have been a staple for a LONG time. They are VERY reliable and quiet.
Maxi-jet: These are inexpensive, but need to be modded to run in our systems. The reliability of these are questionable. THey have a steel impeller shaft which may react with other metals in our systems. As always use additives to prevent corrosion.

Hose: Can't go without this:p

Clearflex: This is one of the most common. It can bend without kinking, is very flexible and affordable.
Tygon: Very similar to Clearflex,but is much more transparent. Better for dyes and such. Otherwise almost the same except very expensive.
Vinyl: There are two types and both can be found locally. Thin walled vinyl is pretty common. It will kink if you look at it funny. Thick walled, braided vinyl is pretty common too. It's hard to kink, but also hard to bend. Both of these are much cheaper than clearflex or tygon, but having used both types of vinyl and clearflex, I can't reccomend the vinyl.

Bleeding system: This can be a few things. The purpose is to get air out of the system.

"T" fitting: When used with a length of tubing and a plug, this is the most simple way of bleeding. It does take a long time, though (hours). Pinching the tubing can reduce the amount of time spent.
Reservoir: This will accomplish the task quicker. There are many different types for different applications.

Hose clamps: Important for keeping water inside your tubes as opposed to all over the place:)

Plastic: Not much to say... They work.
Metal worm drive: Although they can be found locally, I've found that McMaster part #5388K17 to work best for me. It is important to find ones that aren't too big.

Relays: These are optional as you can just run the Pum's plug out the back of the computer. They are used to turn on and off the pump with the computer. This is helpful with a hot running pump. Cutting the wires is a must.

Fans: These mount to your shroud. A lot of people use a shroud and fan on both sides of thier rad. This is called a push/pull configuation and gets us closer to the true CFM rating of the fan. There are too many to chose from. From loud, high performance to quiet solutions.

This is one of the more poular models as it's a good blend of quiet with performance.

In conclusion, I will list some of the vendors that will have the supplies you will need.
Cooltechnica, D-tek, Be Cooling, Danger Den, Case Etc., McMaster, and more.

Last edited:
Part 2: Putting it all together.

This is what intimidates people most. Really all you need to do is start with a stripped down computer case. Make sure all components are out.

First you want to mount the Radiator assembly (Rad, shrouds, fans). Mounting a radiator is probably the most difficult part. Most of us don't have mounting locations for 120mm fans, so we have to make do. This is really where your creativity comes into play. There are some threads that can help. It comes down to measuring to make sure it will fit and doing any modding that is necessary (sometimes very little). I wish I could add more to this part as it's the hardest.

I've found that mounting a pump is not necessary, however they can be zip tied to the case if you feel the need. Often rubber mouse pads on the bottom can reduce vibration noise associated with the pump. I used press-on rubber feet for electrical equipment on the bottom of my Maxi-Jet.

Next you want to approximate where your CPU socket is located and the orientation of it. You will want to cut all of your hoses to match this approximation. Keep in mind that if you are using a "T" line that the part that will hold the air needs to be facing up. If you are using a reservoir, then find a nice spot for it.

Attach all of the fitting to the hoses with the hose clamps of your choice. When you are confident that everything is in place and looks like it will fit, then it is time to fill the system.

What I did with mine is use the "T" line as the fill point. I bought a funnel that fit into the hose and stuck it in. I also bought 1 gallon of distilled water (please do not use tap water) and put about 1-2 ounces of water wetter in. You can use the additive of your choice. I began pouring in the mixture until it filled the "T" line. Then I ran the pump for a few seconds. This made room for more water. After 1 or 2 of these cycles I could leave the pump on while I added water slowly looking for leaks the whole time. Then I shook the case around, tilting it this way and that. Pinching the hose can help slow the flow enough so that bubbles can escape. This is the bleeding process. It can take quite a few hours just to get MOST of the way done. If you are using a reservoir, you will notice it happens much quicker. Once you have most of the bubbles out and it isn't leaking, leave it overnight.

By morning 99% of your bubbles should be gone. If you are leak free, you can now start assembling the computer. This will not be an easy tak with all of the tubes in the way, but it helps to make sure that you will not have a leak on your components.

Waterblock mounting is usually covered on the site that you bought yours from or in a manual that came with it.
Here is a thread that can help with through-hole mounting. Be sure to use a nice thin layer of thermal compound between the block and CPU.

Now you should have it all together! Make sure that when you do turn on the system, that you go directly to the BIOS and check your temperatures. As long as they are not rising quickly, then you can go on and test in the operating system.

Here are some other links to help:

My unfinnished rig.
More rigs.
"T" line explanation
Another good instal guide from wc101
An old bleeding guide
NeoMoses' Water Cooling Guide
A lapping guide
DodgeViper's Famous Sideways Heater core
Another, more comprehensive guide

Last edited:
I think the cascade is now a 2 barb block.

Very good work, I hope they make this a sticky so I can just point noobs to the direction of this thread

If anyone has some more links that I could edit into the above text, then P.M. me with them so we don't clutter this up too much.

I'm looking for:
Bleeding/Filling threads
Heatercore mounting threads
Lapping guides
TIM application guides

Last edited:
I'm tired now... Anyone care to write "Part 3: troubleshooting"?

Anyone have a good pic of a computer going through the bleeding process with all of the components out? If so, I'd like to download it and use a link to it in the above to show how we approximate where the CPU socket is.

ALthough I liked the thread (our oregano is getting kinda low:D ), I think that differnt mods like that should be left to a more advance thread. I'm really trying to target this to the people who think that DIY is really THAT much harder to understand than kits. I don't want to bog them down with a thousand and one different combinations. Hopefully if this makes sticky status, then they will leave your link in here, though.

You might add a link to Airspirit's heatercore database, for those who want to custom fit something else than the Chevette core (the stores will run out of them!).

Is the Maxi-Jet shaft something other than Stainless Steel? Are there reported cases of corrosion?

It concerns me to see some waterblocks named, and some left out. Which way should this really go? If you want to cover them you'll have to add Innovatech, Geminicool/DTek, at the very least!

The same applies for the pumps: either name them all, or don't name them! Forgotten: Iwaki, Via, LGPC (Little Giant), and countless others (just stick to the most popular ones!)

I can recomend vinyl tubing. It actually does the job. If tight turns are required, I'd rather put a copper fitting to make the bend, than pay ~1$/foot for the fancy stuff. I'm putting my rig together with 3/4" braided vinyl tubing ;)

The t-fitting would work a lot faster, if there was a tee at the top to let in air, and a tee at the bottom, to let the coolant out. That's how I'm building my rig, so all I have to do, is slip a drain pan under it. I don't anticipate it taking "hours". Here's mine:
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5613&highlight=airtrap
(a ProCooling thread)

It should be mentionned that the worm-gear driven clamps can cut into tubing, but that McMaster has them with a protective inner sleeve. The plastic ones are also available at NAPA, i believe, but I got mine cheaper from McMaster (!).

Under "Relays", cutting the wire is not a must: I wired an AC outlet to my relay, so that I can leave the pump's cord intact. I haven't yet decided if I'd wire the AC through another plug, or tap into the PSU, which would require cutting.

Under fans, I opted for an automotive blower, but it's quite large, so I really can't recomend it, unless one has the space. BTW, it runs fine at 5 volt, and is quiet yet powerful.

I just scanned over it, but from what I can tell, this looks like sticky material to me. Good work. I researched watercooling long ago, but never got into it, and since summer is coming up, it looks like it will be an upgrade option. I will deffinatly be reading this soon.

Sigh... I'm really not trying to be a jerk when I say this, but I really think some people don't read things through before they post. For example... I state that there are other blocks to choose from, but I only give a few examples so people aren't overwhelmed. There are links to other venders at the bottom of the article.

The aim of this was to be a SIMPLE guide not an encyclopedia on what to do. I didn't want to cover every angle of attack, just what is most common on our forums... basically what people would tell them to do anyway. Again, just aimed at the people who are thinking about a kit, but would like a little extra performance and a little lower price tag.

Think of this as an assembly guide to a kit, but with choices. I certainly encourage people to do thier own research on what is available for each part. However, I did make it easy by giving the examples that I did and if they wanted they could just use these.

I hope this didn't sound too bad because I've had a really crappy week. I'm glad that a lot of you do like this article. A few hours went into the writing of it.

Edit: No offense to you, bigben2k, it's just you're far from a newb. Perhaps you could write a tinkerer's guide.:)

Anyone ever thought of using stainlass steel braded hose for there system? That would be uber cool looking, but you would have to somehow find a way the thread all the barbs and stuff to attach the hoses to.
~Peace

sticky as h3ll!!!

:clap: !!!

thanks... this is JUST what i was looking for. clears the n00by pond right up to crystal clearish...

Back