• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H100i / Water coolers vs Air cooler question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alus415

Hi all,

So here is my question , I google reviews for the H100i and they all pretty much say it's a great liquid cooler but hardly they get compared to air coolers.

What I'm struggling with right now is I have a 4670k @4.2ghz 1.2v my current cooler is an Enermax ETS-t40-BK which I read is better than the Evo 212+ (or at least they are similar in performance for reference) my idle temps are great 25-31c but my load temps are 69-77c average when I game. I also run OCCT, Prime and got the same results with temps staying in the 70's c.

Now I know those temps are ok but in contrast I have a 3570k on another build also at 4.2ghz and same voltage, Evo 212+ on that one and my load temps are in the 51-55c , even with prime, etc the highest I reached was 58c.

The main question then is are liquid coolers going to be 10-15c cooler than air coolers for example? I think the 4670k run hotter than the 3570k but I want to bring my temps down to the 60's c but unless you guys think temp won't change much with either solution is what I'm struggling with , i don't want to spend $90 if the temps are going to be similar, so what you guys think?

Any opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You absolutely cannot compare temps between two CPUs none the less two difference generations of CPUs. WAY too many variables to make that remotely a valid comparison.

The H100i is in the ballpark of a high end air cooler, typically a bit better but it depends on the cooler its up against. It will best an Evo though. By how

That said, there are better choices of AIO's... The Swiftech 220x, NZXT Kraken etc...

Thanks for reply, I just googled the Swiftech 220x and seems its out of production, so what models would you say are the best $100-150 range on AIO's ? NXZT Kraken for example is that one model or several different variants?

Swiftech H220x, Cooler Master Glacer 240L, or NZXT Kraken X61

Those are your best options.

And if you really want to go to the custom H20 world, a XSPC kit around $150 is a great starter for CPU only loops and expandable. It's not a seal loop as it is a introduction to the custom H20 world.

:welcome: to OCFs btw. :D

with a custom loop you get a lot more customization options but with that comes risk as well but if you do things they way they should be done (don't cut corners) the reward is a cooling system that no AIO or GIANT BRICK OF COPPER that takes up more space then its worth and barely does what it supposed to, can touch

Back