• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HAF-X : Trying to add another rad or change fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukestrothman

So basically I am trying to add another rad into my equation, or maybe just replace the fans on my current setup.

Build thread : http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738058

I have done some upgrades since the loop pictured, but nothing to affect the overall heat too much.

Anyways, I now have a GTX780 ACX, (not water cooling this)
Corsair HX750 and different ram as well, so a bit more on the power demand. But overall internal temps have stayed about the same at about 24/25c.

So just the 4770k, but my idle temps are about ~35c and game load is about ~60c, full stress in AIDA64 is about ~75-80c @ 4.4/5 with 1.275v

I was stupid and should have probably bought a 120.3 instead of the 120.2 like I did in the first place but am not sure on if I should just try to add a 120.3 now and rid the 120.2 or add a 140.1 in place of the 140mm case fan in their now. My drive bays are full, the pump is probably staying where it is in the pics, the reservoir location I like so I am limited I know.

Now, I am using the BitFenix Spectre Pro 120's, and there is only two of them on the bottom of the rad pushing up, (nothing on top)

Also not much case ventilation either, only fan is the 140mm on the back of the case, so I have a lot of road options to take and not sure which one to tackle first.

Any input would be appreciated, I'm just sitting at work brainstorming all of this and can't figure out which path to take and the more I think, the more I've been wanting to make a thread.

Cheers,
-Luke

How fast are the fans turning?
Are you able to add fans ontop in pull config?
The rad should be good but maybe not enough air through it
You can also change to fans to push and pull under rad into case as you are pulling hot air into rad right now do to bad case flow
I would change fans to top in push and see if temps dont drop plus its free to try

How fast are the fans turning?
Are you able to add fans ontop in pull config?
The rad should be good but maybe not enough air through it
You can also change to fans to push and pull under rad into case as you are pulling hot air into rad right now do to bad case flow
I would change fans to top in push and see if temps dont drop plus its free to try

True, thanks for that input... The fans are at 100% but I'm not positive on RPM at the moment since I am at work. Maybe I will pick up another two fenix's or corsairs and add them to the top for a pull. or do the push pull into the case.. Hmmm , I'll try both and see what works better.

They probably won't drop much, mabye 3℃ with a bigger radiator or push pull fans. My 4670k at 4.5 and 1.24 will run 60℃ over water temp during prime. Haswell just runs hot. 120.2 even with low rpm fans is more than enough to cool a haswell quad, and keep water delta at 10°. Which means even adding something silly like an extra 120.8 or 120.12 worth of rad with delta screamers would yield less than a 10° drop in temps, because ambient air won't ever bring the water temp below ambient.

Honestly, if you are going to spend any money on the water loop at all, I'd cool the gfx. Gpus respond much much better to watercooling than cpus do these days.

I agree with super trucker.
also getting the rad out of the case and on the back helped mine, I used a koolance mount, not the $20 thing the $40 thing and it helped quite a bit.

I'm with mtdewcowboy I would be trying to get the best I can out of the loop before trying to plumb in more rad. Take a good look at fan options. Nothing against the Spectra Pros they are a decent fan but I never really liked them on a rad, At the very least get a push pull going or better fans that can push air through that thick rad you have.

Hard t say what kind of gains you will get might just be a couple deg C or you could surprise yourself, you won't know till you try.

Did you gradually get hotter over time or has it always been like this from the get-go?

You need to give more specifics. I have no idea what fans or rad you're using. Of course a high or low FPI dual rad should handle a CPU only loop no problem but might not be fully utilized to its full potential. As said before haswells do run hot.

After reading this thread you should know using most UV/Color liquids can cause build up. Not saying that you have but could possibly be the issue. Now because of the liquid and possibly the choice of tubing you will need to do a full tear down and clean your parts. Also replace the tubing with Primochill Advanced.

Did you gradually get hotter over time or has it always been like this from the get-go?

You need to give more specifics. I have no idea what fans or rad you're using. Of course a high or low FPI dual rad should handle a CPU only loop no problem but might not be fully utilized to its full potential. As said before haswells do run hot.

After reading this thread you should know using most UV/Color liquids can cause build up. Not saying that you have but could possibly be the issue. Now because of the liquid and possibly the choice of tubing you will need to do a full tear down and clean your parts. Also replace the tubing with Primochill Advanced.

Thanks much for the input, the temps have always been the same. Idle around 30c game load in BF4 ultra around 60c, and full load around 76/77c

I am using Alphacool Nexxxus UT60 120x2 rad. w/ BitFenix Spectre Pro's

Wanted to upgrade the fans to the Corsair SP120's Performance but not sure how much of a difference it would make. I do have the two case fans that came with the hafx on top of the rad that are the 200mm's that some people said cause more harm than good, and do not move much air. However, when I removed them my temps went WAY up at idle and load, and my case temp went up to 30c at IDLE!!! When I added the fans back, temps went back down to about 24c in the case.

I am going to move some stuff around soon, I have some new goodies coming in soon and can't wait for next week to install everything. To me it seems like I really just need some more airflow. :D

Cheers

Pull the side door and see if temps drop if so its lack of air flow
As far as fans look at the NB E loops they are ranked #2 compared to GT's as far as rad fans go

Thanks much for the input, the temps have always been the same. Idle around 30c game load in BF4 ultra around 60c, and full load around 76/77c

I am using Alphacool Nexxxus UT60 120x2 rad. w/ BitFenix Spectre Pro's

Wanted to upgrade the fans to the Corsair SP120's Performance but not sure how much of a difference it would make. I do have the two case fans that came with the hafx on top of the rad that are the 200mm's that some people said cause more harm than good, and do not move much air. However, when I removed them my temps went WAY up at idle and load, and my case temp went up to 30c at IDLE!!! When I added the fans back, temps went back down to about 24c in the case.

I am going to move some stuff around soon, I have some new goodies coming in soon and can't wait for next week to install everything. To me it seems like I really just need some more airflow. :D

Cheers

Well if your temps fluctuate than that has something to do with airflow. What RPM are those fans set at? You don't want two 120mm fans as push while a 200mm as push. You want to match it up with the same fans for a more focused path of air flow entering and exiting the radiator. Some even use fan shrouds. I would try and figure out a way to either use 2 more of the same fans or buy a whole new set of 4 AP-15s or Noiseblockers. You should see an improvement in temps. But before we assume that what is your ambient temp and delta? Do you have a negative pressure fan configuration? Is the top radiator fans getting adequate air flow from the intake fans? Its possible you could see anywhere from a 5c-10c improvement on the CPU at load. Again too many variables.

Pull the side door and see if temps drop if so its lack of air flow
As far as fans look at the NB E loops they are ranked #2 compared to GT's as far as rad fans go

+1 :thup:

The only case fans he has is one exhaust on the rear

True, but I just ordered a replacement 230 for the front to pull in... The HafX original failed. So I ordered a replacement for that today, and I am really looking into these noise-blockers... Any recommendation for two of them? 120's?

Link/good price?

I like the NB E loop B12-4 they are 2400 rpm fans and work good at 800 rpms and give you some headroom
they are pricey at $23 each but they are worth it
Adding the intake fan should really help get some air flow into the case
Add some NB's to rad in push/pull config and you should be better off If that doesnt work than you need more rad but I think your rad should be plenty

They also have a good PWM version if you're looking into those. These fans aren't cheap and considered in the top tier for rad fans. If they lower their prices down the road I might be changing 9 fans in my rig for those otherwise it would cost me $225+. lol

Hahaha wow, well cool thanks all! I'll be upgrading to nb's then! :)

Just wish I could figure out a way to mount two more on the top side :(

Just put in the order for 2 of the noise blockers, going to replace my rad fans, and potentially try to work something out where I can put the fenix's on top somewhere, and maybe rid the 200's that are stock up there.....

I also ordered a bitfenix 140 for the rear exhaust... hoping to improve that output as well...

80$ shipped from frozencpu but I sleeved the cables and shipping was 10$ so thats where the extra 25$ came in. Anyways, I can't wait! I got 3 orders coming in this week, once everything comes in, its time to build! :D

I'll keep posted with updates, I'm glad I'm doing this now because this week I am doing a fluid flush and running larger tubing and getting rid of the EK coolant I bought first. Larger tubing + distilled now. Also going to do a massive cleanup on some cabling!

Just put in the order for 2 of the noise blockers, going to replace my rad fans, and potentially try to work something out where I can put the fenix's on top somewhere, and maybe rid the 200's that are stock up there.....

I also ordered a bitfenix 140 for the rear exhaust... hoping to improve that output as well...

80$ shipped from frozencpu but I sleeved the cables and shipping was 10$ so thats where the extra 25$ came in. Anyways, I can't wait! I got 3 orders coming in this week, once everything comes in, its time to build! :D

I'll keep posted with updates, I'm glad I'm doing this now because this week I am doing a fluid flush and running larger tubing and getting rid of the EK coolant I bought first. Larger tubing + distilled now. Also going to do a massive cleanup on some cabling!

Can I ask which fans did you get and what tubing are you replacing your existing with? Can't go wrong with distilled + silver/biocide.

Glad to hear and hope it improves your conditions. It's possible you won't see a big difference. You might have to figure out a way to produce better air flow in that case. Its a nice case but a older design. Some use the front and side fans as intake and use the top and back as exhaust. Make sure you keep your rig dust free and cable management helps with air flow.

cough

i say, bitfenix spec pro up front 230mm, same with the side fan 200mm bitfenix spec pro; i went with a full size radiator up top and have swiftech 120mm on top ( like those a lot ); next on my list is to change out the back 140mm and add a 140mm radiator/swiftech 140mm; i also will change the bgears on my two 140mm radiators for swiftech. (bgears blaster aren't what i expected and don't seem to be so great.

that's an xspc 360 up top, and two magicool 140 thins up front (staggered for airflow)

my thoughts, check my rig.. i'll see if i can post a pic.

you have the option to fit a 140x2 radiator laying flat in the area i cleared for my two staggered 140mm's...

Attachments

• DSCN2752 (2).jpg
    DSCN2752 (2).jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 1,629
Thanks everyone, I ordered the bitfenix 140 for the back, and a bitfenix 230 for the front intake since currently that is inactive and the stock 140 sucks. The two nblockers are going to replace the bitfenixs on my rad now. I think I am going to leave the two 200's up top for pull unless I can figure out a way to mount the bitfenix 120's up top that I have now. I ordered masterkleer tubing for the new tubing and a step up from wha to have now, currently have 3/8 and am upgrading to 3/4. I know tubing won't affect temps much but I like the thicker look and also am going to be running distiller and silver so it should be a decent upgrade but even if I don't gain to much in temps I'll be happy with the upgrade.

Of course I have an acx cooler on the 780 but I do think shortly down the road I will be adding another rad and buying an xspc block for the 780 and cooling it. Load on bf4 with acx is about 68c

Cooled I would expect about 50....

Even if I don't oc too much it will definitely keep my room cooler :)

Thanks again for the help this far.

PS The noise blockers loooook amaaaaazzzzinnng! I can't wait! At full load it sounds like a 737 taking off hahahaha!

Back