• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hammer and SETI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheSanch

I wonder how fast the upcoming Hammer will be able to do a WU. If anyone knows of any good articles about that, I'd be interested. Thanks.

Don't know of any articles about this yet, but I would imagine it will be pretty nice if Seti releases a 64 bit client. There wouldn't be much point in a running a 32 bit client.

from what i understand your right a running a 32 bit app on a 64 bit cpu wouldnt increase anything directly.

there may be some minor improvement in speeds as the comptuer could do other things faster leaveing more time to crunch

does anyone know if a 64 bit client would double the wu per/ tiem

or is there some other type of math invovled

even without a 64bit client, id expect the hammer to run its 32 bit current apps, and hence seti a good deal faster, considering the speed, onboard cache and memory bandwidth afforded to it...

as i understand it, the hammer is *supposed* to be backward compatable with 32 bit apps, meaning no emulation involved.

The Itanium on the other hand is entirely new arcitecture, so if you want to run a 32 bit app, you have to emulate a 32 bit processor.

I may be wrong, so dont' quote me on that

I don't think a 64bit processor would double the speed, but it would increase it. The processor could then hold a whole floating point number in a register instead of haveing to store it is the floating point stack(cache). It could also do any mov in one instruction instead of 2.

Depending of how it was written it drasticly speed things up, or the increase could be minimal. I have never written any 64bit ASM, but I would assume that the numbers would still need to be on the ST for the FPU to work on them.

Back