• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone gotten Winex to work from cvs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRD

I've done a cvs checkout on Winex and built it, but the install never works for me. The build is successful, but I keep getting strange errors with sockets and about it not being able to find certain directories and files. I've tried everything I can think of, and I just can't get it to work. I do have wine working, downloaded from the wine website, I just can't get winex to work.

I'm wondering if they deliberately cripple the cvs checkout and install scripts so that you have to sign up and pay them to get the packages.

MRD, I think you are right. I have never been able to build it from the CVS, but I always thought that it was me.

Once I had the RPM version, it installed, and worked so simply. These days you want P2P, it will install the WineX versions for you, and let you pick what games to run with it. Its pretty slick.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, because I was really beginning to feel stupid. They shouldn't even tell people it's free when it really isn't. Another friend of mine said the same thing.

I don't mind paying $15 for a windows directx emulator, but if I pay for it, I really want it to work.

It sounds like the rpm version will actually work, which makes me a lot more likely to pay for it.

Since it is governed under the GPL, if I sign up for transgaming, just let me know if you want and I'll send whoever wants copies the rpm's.

IDK about deliberately crippling the CVS install, but I'm pretty sure that the CVS version can't contain some licensed directX components, ie components not under the GPL. If you want to do directX gaming in Linux, just plunk down your US$15. It's not really that much money for a good solution, and it's no mystery which games it works for and how well it works for them.
Remember, programmers get hungry too.

I don't mind paying for it at all, I just don't want to pay for it and get something that doesn't work (like the cvs version).

I also don't like that they claim it's free but then make it essentially impossible to use without paying them. I have no problem with commercial software, even in linux, and if anything I have a habit of buying lots and lots of expensive commercial software. (I like to have everything!) But at least Adobe or Wolfram is honest about their software not being free. The lying kinda ****es me off.

I'll probably send Transgaming their $15 though since people are saying that the rpms actually will work.

Ok I decided to bite the bullet and sign up. I'll let you know if it works.

I think you will be very happy with the mopney spent.
Very low cost for an EXCELLENT solution!

I never tried the CVS route, but I did mess with wine quite a bit- and I got a few games running perfectly; many would not complete installing.
Patching is/was difficult to impossible.

WineX makes most of the problems go away. :)

Well, not too happy atm, see my other thread.

I can no longer log in as root in my system as I get a black screen with a bunch of windows with warning looking graphics in them. I have no idea how to fix it.

Maybe reinstall KDE? Can I change my window manager or something? What would have gotten screwed up?

Back