• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haswell 4770k Suddenly Running Hotter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What load program were you running? Well it looks like it is a Hot Haswell. Are all your push pins in tight? can you move the intel cooler with your hands? Did you use the TIM That came with the heat sink.

72C at stock was the H100i, looks like it was working well.

If the cooler is on correctly and the temp is 90c you will need a better cooler if you want lower temps with that CPU.

I have not seen a stock Haswell in the forms with a stock cooler exept for you.

I just realized I had forgot to put the top fan on my case, probably being the cause for the 90C. I just put the fan back on, and so far it seems while running Prime95 I hit high 70's and low 80's as a max temperature. I had applied some Coolermaster "High Performance" thermal paste, it's not anything near top of the line, but I was hoping it would at least be slightly better than the stock stuff. I can wiggle the stock heatsink around, it's not loose but it's not very snug tight either, I'd just say it's in place! Currently I'm pretty disappointed with Intel in the whole Haswell idea. Does anyone know if the next generation of Intel's processor's will support current Z87 motherboards? I've read online that Intel is keeping the current socket type for the next generation as well. I might have to consider delidding my processor to get a good temperature even at stock speeds as currently this seems outrageously horrible. One more thing, what do you mean by are all my push pins tight?

Last edited:
If its the Stock Intel CPU Cooler you are using? Then the 4 plastic pins on the edge of the cooler need to be pushed down until they make a clicking sound. Then the cooler will be seated properly and it should not move around at all. AJ.

This is a basic idea how to put the CPU cooler!! ;)

These 4770's run hot on the stock cooler. I read something about one guy getting 100c and throttling at default speed.

Also, it depends on your software. My own 4770k did a trophy run -- once -- at 5GHz. It was stable on LinX at 4.7 GHz, but hot (low 90's), with low Gflops, hardly better than my i7 875k.

Then I ran LinX with Linpack 10, which uses AVX instructions. Had to lower my OC to stop throttling. Then I ran Linpack 11 with HT turned off (HT actually lowers Gflops at this level). Linpack 11 has AVX2 instructions. Linpack 11 only lets you do one run of LinX, so you must do straight Linpack.

With Linpack 11 I can run an OC of 4.3 with a Vcore of 1.19v. It "only" heats this up to the high 80's, low 90's. So: AVX2 > AVX > non-AVX. You are more likely to be heat-limited than stability-limited.

Ironic: putting my hand in the outflow from my NH-D14 I found the air never got more than a little warm. With the i7 860 the outflow is HOT. So, the 4770 has an elevated temp but doesn't make much heat.

But don't mess around with low-performance TIM. This is one chip where you need all the help you can get. Arctic Silver and the CM stuff don't cut it.

If its the Stock Intel CPU Cooler you are using? Then the 4 plastic pins on the edge of the cooler need to be pushed down until they make a clicking sound. Then the cooler will be seated properly and it should not move around at all. AJ.

This is a basic idea how to put the CPU cooler!! ;)

Yupp, it's on good! Thanks for the reference. My CPU batch number is L310B562 and it seems to me that when searching online it has been noted that this is a pretty good batch number. I hope when I get my H100i it will pay off!

These 4770's run hot on the stock cooler. I read something about one guy getting 100c and throttling at default speed.

Also, it depends on your software. My own 4770k did a trophy run -- once -- at 5GHz. It was stable on LinX at 4.7 GHz, but hot (low 90's), with low Gflops, hardly better than my i7 875k.

Then I ran LinX with Linpack 10, which uses AVX instructions. Had to lower my OC to stop throttling. Then I ran Linpack 11 with HT turned off (HT actually lowers Gflops at this level). Linpack 11 has AVX2 instructions. Linpack 11 only lets you do one run of LinX, so you must do straight Linpack.

With Linpack 11 I can run an OC of 4.3 with a Vcore of 1.19v. It "only" heats this up to the high 80's, low 90's. So: AVX2 > AVX > non-AVX. You are more likely to be heat-limited than stability-limited.

Ironic: putting my hand in the outflow from my NH-D14 I found the air never got more than a little warm. With the i7 860 the outflow is HOT. So, the 4770 has an elevated temp but doesn't make much heat.

But don't mess around with low-performance TIM. This is one chip where you need all the help you can get. Arctic Silver and the CM stuff don't cut it.

I don't hit 100C on stock speeds that's for sure! I am hoping to do a push/pull configuration on my Storm Stryker but I have a feeling it will not fit in my case! :(

Currently I am using a mid-grade CoolerMaster thermal paste. I was going to buy some Arctic Silver 5, although what would you recommend? Also, just out of curiosity, what is your CPU batch number?

Yupp, it's on good! Thanks for the reference. My CPU batch number is L310B562 and it seems to me that when searching online it has been noted that this is a pretty good batch number. I hope when I get my H100i it will pay off!

I don't hit 100C on stock speeds that's for sure! I am hoping to do a push/pull configuration on my Storm Stryker but I have a feeling it will not fit in my case! :(

Currently I am using a mid-grade CoolerMaster thermal paste. I was going to buy some Arctic Silver 5, although what would you recommend? Also, just out of curiosity, what is your CPU batch number?

TIM's: People have had good success with the Noctua paste. I have some of the Prolimatech I haven't tested yet, but Skinneelabs (when it was on-line) found the Prolimatech TIM was good. I use Gelid GC Extreme because of this review. I tried the Shin Etsu stuff and found it too stiff to work with. GC Extreme is easy.

The guy that got 100c on default clocks was using the stock cooler.

My own batch number is L307B240.

There really isn't a correlation with quality and batch numbers. People are trying to find something but even the largest of datasets are not showing strong correlation of batch numbers and clocks...

Thank you for finding that. That 80-way was getting long in the tooth, and HWBOT's selection was very good.

Edit: SVC has GC Extreme more cheaply here. And they don't charge for shipping.

My Haswell seems to be kicking butt with my new H100i that just arrived today. Performing a lot better than the last one that's for sure. I am running stable (30 minute Prime95 test and 15 minute Intel Extreme Tuning Utility stability test) at 4.5GHz @ 1.230volts with a max temperature of 68C only!

My Haswell seems to be kicking butt with my new H100i that just arrived today. Performing a lot better than the last one that's for sure. I am running stable (30 minute Prime95 test and 15 minute Intel Extreme Tuning Utility stability test) at 4.5GHz @ 1.230volts with a max temperature of 68C only!

30mins isnt really long, try a 6 hour run.

30mins isnt really long, try a 6 hour run.

I understand that, but with me only gaming, developing and rendering, it will be hard to simulate a scenario where it will be pushed even 3/4 as hard as having Prime95 run for even 15 minutes! When I get time off I will definitely give a long run a try.

Back