• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have I installed the SSD incorrectly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Edit- I noticed finally what is happening with the PC.
When I copy any file from the SSD to other HDD or a USB flash then the speed drops to zero for a few second (in that time the windows is not responding) but the the speed going up again (then windows start responding) but after few seconds the speeds drops again to zero.
IMO this happening to the SSD all the time even when I am not copying stuff.

I'll try to reinstall Windows 10 with the HDD disabled to see if this might fix the issue.

I have no Idea what are native ports vs the non native ports.
I just explained it.

IMO this happening to the SSD all the time even when I am not copying stuff.
I wouldn't guess that, honestly. You can also easily see this if you look at the task manager and see activity on the drives.

When you say disable, you mean remove power or the data plug, right?

Can you show a picture of disk management showing all the drives currently in your system. Please host the images here.

When I say disable i mean remove all the cables connected to the drive.

I am re installing win 10 now.
Ill update with the results latar. after the installation complete.

It just finished installing Win10 plus all the updates and it is slow.
Maybe it is the SSD or maybe it the motherboard chip, I don't know.

Here is the Task manager screenshot. Capture.PNG Capture.PNG Capture.PNG

Hi sounds similar to a problem I had I've got ssd boot and 2 HDD drives I bought a new HDD as I couldn't access anything on it .it was she same on the new one . The problem was power connector was slightly come out of my modular power supply

so after of few sleep less night of tinkering I'v finally found some more information.
When I installed Win 7 the speeds were around 450Mb\s. exactly as they should be.
But when I install Win10 the speed drop to 100Mb\s.

Drivers, SATA cable, Power cable, every thing was replaced but nothing work.

The thing is that Win 7 is not update as it should, So when I do a clean Win7 update it just stop working and I have boot errors.
Gave up on Win7.

I am not sure what to do.
It is definitely Win10 causing the SSD to be slow.

I am thinking about buying a Mac and giving up on Windows compeletly.
Too much money spent on an OS that can't even work as it should.
And Microsoft support hires retards who stop answering tickets after you do a clean install and it still not working.

The Windows 7 manual update process has been broken for years. There is a tool that works around this to get all the updates installed. It's called "WSU offline." http://download.wsusoffline.net/

But that still doesn't explain why the SSD performs so poorly in Windows 10. What partition scheme are you using for the SSD? GPT or MBR?

If it were me, I would use the diskpart "clean" option to wipe all the partition info off drive. I then would repartition it using GPT and do a fresh install of Windows: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/85819-erase-disk-using-diskpart-clean-command-windows-10-a.html with all other hard drives disconnected during the install.

Last edited:
The things I have done this far-
1. Did a clean install of Windows 10/7/8.1 just to compare the SSD benchmarks
1.1 All the installation were with the HDD disabled (removed)
the Speeds on Windos 8 and 10 were alike fast reading speed but low writing speeds. but on Windows 7 I had 450mbs writing speeds which were consistent despite the fact I reinstalled Windows 10 times.

2. Changed the SATA cables, Power cables, reinstalled all possible drivers.
3. Used Crystal Info to change APM to high performance since it was on low for some reason.
4. Every SSD app says the SSD is healthy and new with out bad sectors or problems.

I will try erasing the SSD as you suggesting. and will report of what I find out.

This is the end result on Win 10:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    38.7 KB · Views: 108
What partition scheme are you using for the SSD? GPT or MBR?
Good question! I asked earlier for a screen shot of disk management so we can see how things are setup..:):thup:

Last edited:
I am starting to think sata 2 support in win 10 is sucking dooky through a 2x4.
I think at this point I would look at linux or staying with win7.

have you tried another sata port?

and have you had a look at the drive in device manager?

1. Yes I have tried another Sata port
2. I have checked via Device manager for the driver version and the correct one is installed.
3. I have installed Kingstone SSD manager and there is no framework update.

This is a clear proof that the problem is with Windows 10/8.1
I have currently installed Win7 and those are the SSD speeds.

Attachments

• 11.PNG
    11.PNG
    38.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 22.PNG
    22.PNG
    33.6 KB · Views: 62
The only information I managed to gather is that
Windows 10 latest update has some issues with the SSD and many are effected. you just never checked it so you missed it.
also that Windows has a driver problem with some SSDs or SATA controllers and Microsoft don't bother to fix it.

BTW one thing that might be useful- If you disable 'Global AutoTuning' from CMD then the SSD speed goes up to normal speeds.
But for me it worked for a moment and not consistent.
No guide explaining on how to fix it.

Either way Microsoft is a mess..

So after endless nights I managed to contact Kingston support and they replied to me.
After I performed all the tests they asked me to, they suggested to exchange the SSD to a new one since this one might be faulty.
My local dealer exchanged the SSD with out questions asked (A sign that Kingston SSDs might be bad) and I installed in on my PC.
This time I get the correct speeds on Widows 10, ie. Read 550Mbs & Write 450Mbs solid.

Just wanted to let you know all since you tried to help me all the way.
Thank you very much!! I do appreciate your effort.

And remember - only buy SanDisk and Samsung. :)

Back