• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have you guys ever tried to RMA a overclocked CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moto211

OK, so here's the deal. I purchased a my CPU from an online vendor as OEM packaged model. It runs good but my overclocking results and my temperatures were a little off. As I have previously posted, I have two cores that run 4-5c and 8-10c hotter at idle and load, respectively. Although this doesn't present an issue right now, I have a feeling that this might create an issue on the long term in terms of reliability. If a core is going to fail, it will probably be one of the ones that runs hot.

So, what I want to know is this:
Has anyone here ever RMA'd a overclocked C2Q (or C2D) and were they able to tell that it had been overclocked. My chip has never been hotter than 65c on the hot cores and has never hit thermal shutdown. I want to make sure that will get my money back. You see, I'm going to buy a new chip first and when that new chip comes, I'll RMA the old one (so I'm not without a computer). So, if they don't take the return, then I'm out 250 bucks for the first chip.

BTW - I will be purchasing a retail boxed chip this time. I think the vendor that I purchased from repackages poor performing retail chips that have been RMA'd as OEM chips.

Last edited:
You break the warranty but OCing. It is immoral and against the warranty to RMA the CPU. If you do not like your OC sell off your current CPU and buy a new one or one that has a proven ability to OC in the classies. Your mileage may vary on the second option.

To answer the question, no, they can't tell. To answer the question from my perspective...no, since you overclocked it, you voided your warranty. Too bad it doesn't overclock good.

I must ask. Does it run at stock volts and speeds? If yes, then you have no right doing an RMA.

i might also question whether or not they would approve the rma since they would throw it into one of their boards (theoretically) and boot it. If they found nothing wrong I would suspect it would be rejected and they would send it back to you

To answer the question, no, they can't tell. To answer the question from my perspective...no, since you overclocked it, you voided your warranty. Too bad it doesn't overclock good.

I must ask. Does it run at stock volts and speeds? If yes, then you have no right doing an RMA.

Just my two cents:

I would have to agree with this opinion as an RMA is meant for a defective product, whereas, the one described here performs exactly as promised by the manufacturer. Sorry your results were less than desirable though.

Could allways find someone who runs their cpu at stock clocks and do a swap+ a few bucks.

I told them that the CPU worked as advertised but that the temperatures on two of the cores was unreasonably high (10c more than the other two) and that I was concerned with long term reliability. They said OK and issued me a RMA number. If it was not an acceptable reason for RMA, then they wouldn't have given me a RMA number. Seeing as that I already told them that the CPU is functional, I don't see how they could deny my RMA request because it funtions. Not to mention the 15% restocking fee that I paid...I feel like it was a fair exchange.

I don't see how they could deny my RMA request because it funtions.

Simply put, the purpose of an RMA is to return a defective item. In this case the item is not defective. It all boils down to an obscene abuse of a program designed to protect a consumer from DOA or subpar items that don't live up to the advertised specs. More power to you, hope all works well. I also hope that actions like this don't become a trend that affects REAL RMA's in the future.

...NO YOU SHOULDNT RMA IT....:bang head:bang head

Your cpu is fully functional at stock speeds...you are increasing the costs to the vendor and intel and untimately increases the cost WE all pay for computer products

Last edited:
I guess I posed my question wrong. My issue is not the poor overclocking performance...if that were the only issue, I would just deal with it. My issue is that even at stock speeds I'm seeing a large difference in core temps between my 0&1 cores and my 2&3 cores, leading me to believe that there may be longevity issues with this particular chip. If this could be an issue down the road, I want to take care of it now since I have an OEM chip with a short warranty period.

With that said, you guys are right anyway. I cancelled my RMA and I'm going to sell the chip to my parents for their computer at a discount and purchase a new one (hopefully one with normal core temps). They'll upgrade before any reliability issues arise resulting from the odd core temps. Myself on the other hand, I'm poor and whatever I settle on has to last me a while...which is why i was so concerned with the temps.

I guess I posed my question wrong. My issue is not the poor overclocking performance...if that were the only issue, I would just deal with it. My issue is that even at stock speeds I'm seeing a large difference in core temps between my 0&1 cores and my 2&3 cores, leading me to believe that there may be longevity issues with this particular chip. If this could be an issue down the road, I want to take care of it now since I have an OEM chip with a short warranty period.

With that said, you guys are right anyway. I cancelled my RMA and I'm going to sell the chip to my parents for their computer at a discount and purchase a new one (hopefully one with normal core temps). They'll upgrade before any reliability issues arise resulting from the odd core temps. Myself on the other hand, I'm poor and whatever I settle on has to last me a while...which is why i was so concerned with the temps.

You should try lapping that CPU and your heatsink. Sometimes cpu's and heatsinks can have a concave shape and un-even contact would support the reason as to why your cores have different temps. (someone mentioned this before)

There are still options to improve it!

I'm don't want to lap it because I'm scared that I'll just make things worse. Besides with my parents taking it off of my hands, that'll give me an opportunity to try a get a better clocking chip.

you know what...screw it, I'm taking sandpaper to my $250 CPU tonight! If it doesn't help, i'll ebay it and get a better one when the tax rebates come in a couple months.

Back